Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up an old MXZ frame for a winter/rigid bike to ride (complete with studded tires, etc.) and was wondering about the front deraileur cable routing. It uses a braze-on front der., and the cable guide on the downtube routes the cable under the bottom bracket. The problem is, there is nothing to run the cable through under the bottom bracket, and no hole or anything to attach anything. In essence, I'd have to run the cable under, and let it slide on the carbon of the bottom bracket.

Now this doesn't seem optimal to me - I doubt this is the way it was meant, as eventually its gonna cut through. But I tried putting one of those plastic cable guides there (unattached, of course, since there is no bolt hole as mentioned) and it just slides up behind when shifting.

Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

By the way, does anyone know of a weight on these frames? Can't find it anywhere.

Thanks for the help. I'm mixing old and new school parts (sorry if that's offensive to anyone - I really want this thing functional) with a Syncros rigid for and stem, XTR hubs (8/9 spd, flat gray ones - late '90's), Ti bar, etc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I found a thread with my exact frame on it - hopefully the guy sees my post/email and can help me out. That's a great resource, thanks for the help!

·
bikespotter
103 Posts
Canuck Doc said:
Thanks, I found a thread with my exact frame on it - hopefully the guy sees my post/email and can help me out. That's a great resource, thanks for the help!
Read and replied, check your mailbox or the retrobike uk thread, hope it helps ;)

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
Our MXZ is also just bare cable under the bottom bracket shell.. It does paritally rest on the serial number plate whcih helps some I guess. There is a light groove in the carbon but nothing too bad. If it was ridden much, I would put a piece of the plastic cable liner over it and just replace it as it wore out. That would save a lot of wear and tear.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Canuck Doc said:
Any thoughts on how to deal with this?
Pick up one of these and a bit of superglue. Glue it in place (figure out the optimal position before gluing), let it sit overnight and away you go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts