Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Do a search for Kestrel MX-Z and search by the VRC (vintage retro classic) forum specifically.

There are a few people here who own them and can speak on how they are as an mtb.

They don't really do it for me though.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hoover?

azjeff said:
Huh:confused:

The current high bidder is a bike Hoover :D
I hope your not implying that I suck:confused: !!....I look at it as a flow of resources...every bike that comes into my possession usually means at least one leaves;) . At least thats the plan. Will I win this one? I doubt it, but I have bid on a few before. I've watched for one and really would like to try one out. I think the style is super. And I guess a Hoover is better than an Orick!

·
bikespotter
108 Posts
visible orange said:
Hi, New poster here.

What do you guys know/think about this frame:

I think it seems pretty amazing, but can't find anything out about it!
Nice frame , and in its original ballistic granite finish - they were later called the Z-II in about 1991, one of the nice frames designed by brent trimble .

Described as 'absolutely the fastest downhill frame ever ridden' & 'bike of the future' :lol:

not everybodys cup of tea and quite harsh on the back end but I personally love em ;) and given the chance would quite happily own another.

few piccies here inc test & spec 1991 sheet =
https://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/retrobikeguy/Kestrel%20MXZ/?start=40

·
artistic...
7,636 Posts
Rumpfy said:
I think he means hoover as in you're sucking up a lot of old bikes in the last couple weeks.
LOL. hold your bikes! the hoover is getting closer!

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
stan4bikes said:
I hope your not implying that I suck:confused: !!....I look at it as a flow of resources...every bike that comes into my possession usually means at least one leaves;) . At least thats the plan. Will I win this one? I doubt it, but I have bid on a few before. I've watched for one and really would like to try one out. I think the style is super. And I guess a Hoover is better than an Orick!
No offense intended Stan. You've been the most active in acquiring bikes lately, seems like everyday you show another one :thumbsup: It appears you collect bikes you like, not brand or price specific. Me too.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
offense???

azjeff said:
No offense intended Stan. You've been the most active in acquiring bikes lately, seems like everyday you show another one :thumbsup: It appears you collect bikes you like, not brand or price specific. Me too.
Absolutel none taken:thumbsup: It's just that when they come up,,somebodys gotta buy em:) And your absolutely right, I have no allegience to any particular brand or even style. Just kinda grab what looks interesting at the time. By the way, during my latest "spree" I also sold a mint KOI Klein Mantra w/full XT, a Jamis Dakar and a Craftworks Rail.(made in Australia, a real burly, fully gusseted framed, machine). Next to go will probably be my Slingshot, one of my Santa Cruz Bullits and one of my Fab Foes Weasels. A guy can only have so many bikes! ...Oh, and I just missed out on a 87 Wicked Fat Chance for ....$200.00:madman: :madman: .

·
bikespotter
108 Posts
visible orange said:
retro bike guy. did these come with switch blades stock? or was that an upgrade. I love those things!!!
The switchblades were upgrades - I love the switchblades but I still keep the original forks for the black one that are tange prestige - nice fork itself just a bit .............boring looking.
both of these would have originally been the ballistic grey finish but it didn't age well so they had to have new paint and I couldnt resist matching the cables, saddle & forks in with the colour scheme.
Not a perfect scan but this is the 1991 spec list for kestrel with the MXZ last on the list named Z-II , think this is the last year they made them but I could be wrong .

Enjoy ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.