Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Enjoying life
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This ride looks to be a point 2 point route...What are the logistics needed when riding this trail with only one car?
Is it doable?
I'm new to the state and any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Chilling out
6,036 Posts
Very do-able IMO, I've solo-epic'd most of this (last year), starting from the Info center parking on the dam side going OVT (with off-shoot loops) to Warrior Creek, across the road, around Warrior Creek, back to OVT (shorter path), and back. Didn't get Dark Mtn on that run but it was over 30 altogether because of the doubling of the road section. Maybe another day.

Most important supply to bring along IMO is electrolyte-mix, my body get out of whack that way and it destroys my riding tempo and I hate cramps. There's fresh water available at a pump by the Bandit Roost entrance, at the west end of OVT. There may be other water stops but I don't know. My habit is to start the ride on warm days with 100oz of ice-water and at least 24oz electrolytes with ability to make more electrolyte mix. Owing to [weird] dietary habits I no longer need to carry snacks for even long rides but don't forget to do what you need to keep your energy supplied.

For solo epic like this I like to park semi-central so that I pass by the car at least once, so that I have opportunity to resupply anything if needed, and also if for some reason I'm having a less than good day I can bail.

The trails are IMO pretty easy to follow except on Dark Mtn, the OVT and WC trails have very similar effort level too ... and the more you're comfy with not using your brakes the more you'll be able to conserve energy overall owing to the very rolling nature. Dark Mtn has much more discrete climb vs down segments IMO, whether that's better for your first or last is a personal choice.

I would not advise parking at the bottom of the damn and starting with Dark Mtn though, but I'm sure someone does. That'd make for a very committed epic.

I'd estimated with all the singletrack and the double road section that you're also talking on the order of a 40+ mile ride ... a really great day out!

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.