Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are the trail conditions up there? We make a trip in the fall every year and ride Just Outstanding and Cannell. Guessing upper Cannell will be out of the picture until June... though I have always wanted to check out some other trails. Any suggestions?

·
No known cure
5,626 Posts
How are the trail conditions up there? We make a trip in the fall every year and ride Just Outstanding and Cannell. Guessing upper Cannell will be out of the picture until June... though I have always wanted to check out some other trails. Any suggestions?
I do that same trip at the same time. No more summer riding for me as I've ended up in the ER in Lake Isabella with severe heat stroke, twice. I keep an eye on Mountain River Adventure's site for updates.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah it gets dangerously hot out there. The trick is hydration really starts the night before. Then, you pound as much water as you can into big meadow, refill water on the mysterious mountain pipe(I've never gotten sick and I don't treat the water) on the fire road climb. Then go into normal water consumption mode, don't doddle the plunge where it gets the hottest and that has worked out for me when I do it.

Usually have 3L pack and a water bottle on the frame with a very concentrated electrolytes drink.

I can't wait for this season! They got some snow up top this past week, so maybe mid June now. But the first runs of the seasons are always the prettiest, the meadows are super lush and the rock gardens are rowdy because they have not been smoothed over from all the mountain bikers and dirt bikers yet.

I do that same trip at the same time. No more summer riding for me as I've ended up in the ER in Lake Isabella with severe heat stroke, twice. I keep an eye on Mountain River Adventure's site for updates.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Usually have 3L pack and a water bottle on the frame with a very concentrated electrolytes drink.

I can't wait for this season! They got some snow up top this past week, so maybe mid June now. But the first runs of the seasons are always the prettiest, the meadows are super lush and the rock gardens are rowdy because they have not been smoothed over from all the mountain bikers and dirt bikers yet.
Same with me on water/electrolytes and we usually go the 1st weekend after Memorial Day which is usually the "goal" for opening with MRA. You can call or email them and they are good at getting back to you with their plans/hopes/dreams.

·
No known cure
5,626 Posts
I've was hospitalized with heat stroke on JO on a summer morning. By nine the heat from the valley was radiating up from the valley at 110* like an oven with no breeze. I had plenty of water and a replacement drink and puked that all up when I made it to the highway. I rode back to my car and drove to the ER where I spent ten hours.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have ridden the Cannell Trail I think 5 times. Being in my 50's I have rode it with guys 1/2 my age whom had never ridden it before but claimed to be super fit. I tried to warn them how hot it can get and insisted on them taking a LOT of fluids. Two of those rides at least a couple guys were in trouble with the heat dropping into Kernville at well over 100 degrees. Lots of good advice here as well. Hydrate the day before. Take more than you think you will need. Not just water either. At extreme altitude like this ride offers you can get cooked super easy by UV rays and less O2 not to mention heat. This ride can be dangerous to even experienced riders. NEVER allow riders to leave the group and try to stay somewhat together. That's my take...

·
No known cure
5,626 Posts
I once rode up the canyon from Goldledge Campground to Sherman Pass where I picked up the Rincon Trail. Once on the trail it was 110* with no breeze. I was going into heatstroke and bailed down Packsaddle Canyon back to the highway. Halfway down the canyon I ditched my bike. I bushwhacked through stinging nettle and poison oak and the highway was no where to be seen. I wondered if I should stash my body so the critters wouldn't tear it a part, or leave it out for recovery so my family could have closure. Oddly I was at peace that this was how my life was going to end. I laughed to myself that I'd be that idiot in the newspaper. I had told nobody where I was going. My girlfriend knew I was leaving the mountain and driving to K'ville but that was it. I finally saw the top of a telephone pole as I was decending a dry waterfall. I made it to the highway and collapsed. A local drove me to the hospital. I stopped in at Mountain River Adventures and told John where the bike was but he ended up getting sick and couldn't get it.

The next week, the girlfriend and I drove back up, hiked in and got the bike. We started the hike at 5/AM and it was already 95* She looked at me and remarked that there was no sign of any human activity in the canyon then said, "What the eff were doing in here?" I just smiled as she called me a bunch of names.

I used to love to ride in sweltering heat, but since those two episodes I physically cant. A year later, I rode into Broken Arrow in Sedona. It was late June and it was hot. Once in the dead air in the canyon, I just turned around and rode back into town for a beer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Other trails to check out:
Cedar Canyon (the wilder little brother of Cannell). Only done it once but IMO it's a must do. The climbing is at the back end so heat can be an issue. Take the Rincon trail out not the hike-a-bike down to the river.
Tobias trail. Still need to check this one out
Hot laps over at Camp nelson (good for hot summer days) and snow melt pending, Bear creak is one of my favorites

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Other trails to check out:
Cedar Canyon (the wilder little brother of Cannell). Only done it once but IMO it's a must do. The climbing is at the back end so heat can be an issue. Take the Rincon trail out not the hike-a-bike down to the river.
Tobias trail. Still need to check this one out
Hot laps over at Camp nelson (good for hot summer days) and snow melt pending, Bear creak is one of my favorites
thx for the recommendations of brain damage! will have to check those.

Any updates on Sherman pass?

Regarding the heat. yes totally agree that a cold beer beats out heat stroke any day!

I've only visited Kernville in the spring and fall so the weather has always just been awesome! though definitely not a fan of heat, if its that hot I'm heading to the beach. Hopefull the pass opens before it gets to hot back there!

Went to Sedona at the end of June and although it got into the triple digits in the afternoon, we'd do a morning ride and evening ride and the heat was a non-factor.

·
No known cure
5,626 Posts
Went to Sedona at the end of June and although it got into the triple digits in the afternoon, we'd do a morning ride and evening ride and the heat was a non-factor.
I always hit up Sedona in late June as a Bday present to myself. The heat isn't bad if you're out in the open and have a breeze. That time of year, the trails are empty. I like to go in September too but lightning can be an issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.