Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kentucky Camp...er..Milagrosa Epic - 12/22-12/23

Okay folks. In my fervor to get down to Tucson over the holiday period and hit Milly, I was reminded/made aware of the logistics involved in the shuttle effort, and well...maybe some other time. Edit: But we don't really care about the logistics, if you build it, they will come...

So, being that my main purpose is to ride until I feel like puking, then spend time "consuming mass quantities" (we are french), PaulB suggested Kentucky Camp. The holy one has spoken, so it shall be. Edit: But the holy one was drunk at the time, and what he really meant was (raising the holy scepter) Millagrosa!!!

So the plan will be (for me) to head down Sunday night, set up camp in the Mothership (oh yes, she will have one more outing this year), ride all day Monday, camp and drive back Tuesday morning. Feel free to gather Monday morning or the night before, but bring warmies either way.

Upon arrival Sunday night, there will be a brief service/sermon at the Church of the Unlabeled Beer. Monday evening will be a full service/sermon, and any of those remaining can partake from the MTBR Flask of Honor, and have your name engraved on the back. (I'm not kidding, I'm bringing an engraver) :thumbsup:

More detail to follow...

See you there...

-JB

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
I can send you the GPX file to add more single track to the route, if you want it. Meteor Shower on the 22nd, BTW.

PS Have you thought about camping at Colossal Cave and riding the Cienega Corridor or perhaps beyond to Sahuarita Rd/83? The AZ Trail out there is superb and it would be a little warmer. Another option worth checking out.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
CactusJoe said:
Okay folks. In my fervor to get down to Tucson over the holiday period and hit Milly, I was reminded/made aware of the logistics involved in the shuttle effort, and well...maybe some other time.
Are you sure???? No Millie? shuttle logistics will be easy pie... With a crew coming down from Phx and the Tucson bunch there will be several vehicles and shuttle arranging will be a nobrainer. I just can't bring myself to drive all the way down to Kentucky Camp in the dead of winter for a bunch o mellow trails. Spring with flowers and green sprouts, maybe. But I want me some Miligrosa chunk deluxe! Come on.... just drive to Mt Lemon and set the Mothership up at Molino Basin campground. We'll meet you down there for the ride and who knows... maybe stay over and try to talk Sundog into leading a special ride the next day?

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
DurtGurl said:
I just can't bring myself to drive all the way down to Kentucky Camp in the dead of winter for a bunch o mellow trails.
Word. If you don't have to do a loop (like in a race) then you would be better off just riding the AZ Trail out-n-back.

A Chiva Falls-AZT-Millie Loop with no shuttle is only 40ish miles and has tons of technical riding (we are doing it tomorrow at 830am). I can send you the GPX file of it :D

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
azepicriderandrunner said:
Word. If you don't have to do a loop (like in a race) then you would be better off just riding the AZ Trail out-n-back.

A Chiva Falls-AZT-Millie Loop with no shuttle is only 40ish miles and has tons of technical riding (we are doing it tomorrow at 830am). I can send you the GPX file of it :D
Hmmm...well, based on the OVERWHELMING amount of interest in this one, (good call, Paul...:thumbsup: ) let me confer with my people and get back to this one shortly.

One way or another, I'm going to Tucson next week...

·
aka Diesel
1,249 Posts
CactusJoe said:
Hmmm...well, based on the OVERWHELMING amount of interest in this one, (good call, Paul...:thumbsup: ) let me confer with my people and get back to this one shortly.

One way or another, I'm going to Tucson next week...
I tried to get my hall pass. :madman: Too close to Christmas. Boooo!

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Aaron/Chad... Is it snowing on Mt Lemon?
Not yet, at least from my office window I cannot see any snow on the top of Mt Lemmon....yet!

Have you thought about camping up on Reddington, doing some AZT and Chiva, perhaps even doing a climb up to Molino Basin before descending down Millie. Plenty of great camping spots in the Red Area.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
At times.... here is my view. There is a trail that is about 200 yards from my room that I use for running in the morning.

If you need a tour guide CJ or DG, I might be in town. :thumbsup:
is that the west end of the Catalinas?

btw, how is Chiva these days? Last time i rode it (5 yrs?) it was getting turned to gravel. That was my first ride in AZ, love(d) that place.

·
wowarizona.com
863 Posts
At times.... here is my view. There is a trail that is about 200 yards from my room that I use for running in the morning.

If you need a tour guide CJ or DG, I might be in town. :thumbsup:
There IS snow on Mt Lemmon.

Thanks for the tour guide offer, but, I know a few trails and don't ride at your pace.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.