Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer has been a season of recovery for me. I severely injured both my ankles riding in February due to mistakes I made during my winter training. I've only recently been cleared to include climbs in my rides in order to strengthen my ankles. Its been a long six months of rehab. I highly recommend Boulder Center for Sport Medicine by the way. If you get injured they will find a way to get you active again.

So I was very please to ride Kenosha Pass to Georgia Pass today pain free and start strengthening my ankles and legs. I ended up behind a group of riders making their way to Breck. It turns out they were riding the Colorado trail in sections. I kept up with them for a little while but soon I could not maintain their pace and they were off but it was just great to be strengthening the legs and ankles.

I would not shy away from riding Kenosha this holiday weekend if you are considering it. If you get an early start, its not really unbearably crowded. I'm thinking of riding Rollins Pass from the east Monday. I've never ridden that route.

2wheels

Attachments

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
Was there a couple of weeks ago (but rolled to Breck). Glad you had a good time. How did you mess up your ankles though?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was stricken with sever and persistent tendinitis in both ankles. I also severely irritated the sheath that covers the ankles. This happened due to over training. Last fall I purchased a power meter for my road bike and a Computrainer, which does power, for indoor training. Since I never trained with a power meter before I had no frame of reference as to how hard I could or could not ride. I compounded matters by trying to follow a training plan from Training Peaks which was ill-suited for me. The power I was requiring of my legs and ankles was way too much and during some workouts my cadence was way to high for my tendons.

I was off the bike for a long time. At one point it was obvious that my body thought it was done healing my ankles. However, they were still painful to the touch. I certainly couldn't ride. As a result, the physical therapist recommended trigger point dry needling. This entails a therapist sticking needles in the injured location to irritate it so your body decides to heal it further. It works. But it is not pleasant. The needles go much deeper then acupuncture and are being stuck in already painful areas. She put one needle in and my whole leg started shaking. That was weird. I learned a lot from this injury. Be weary of over training and one size fits all training plans.

2wheels

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
Damn! Going too hard and too fast can be dangerous. I hear of newly-turned-pro road cyclists who go all out for many days and some never fully recover from the damage they cause to their bodies. Good that you are healing up. Take it easy.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Glad you are back, I spent most of last season hurt, so much pressure on a disc, I lost use of my left leg....been back at full time all of this season...Kenosha-Georgia is no joke with all the roots and rocks, pretty taxing ride for me...good luck with the recovery...BR

·
bike rider
5,549 Posts
I did Breck (town, not the Gold Hill lot) to Kenosha and back on almost all singletrack the other day. 54mi, 6:15! My new favorite ride.

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
Did you ride/hike up that long rocky section to Kenosha or is there an alternate route that is more rideable? Riding down it is fun but riding up it sounds like a curse-fest unless you carry regular sneakers as well. :)

Lelandjt said:
I did Breck (town, not the Gold Hill lot) to Kenosha and back on almost all singletrack the other day. 54mi, 6:15! My new favorite ride.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I carry a really small point and shoot Cannon. An digital SLR would take better photos but is too heavy. My point and shoot Cannon actually only takes nice photos when the lighting is right. That is usually in the morning low level sun light as in this case. I used Cannon Photo Stitch to merge the photos and then crop the end product. Each photo you see is actually comprised of 2 or 3 individual photos. The trick is to take a string of photos that line up and have sufficient overlap at the edge.

BTW, as BenR mentioned, this route surprised me with the ankle and leg strength it required. This morning my ankles feel fine which indicates I continue to improve. However, my quads are dead. So I very well may lay low and try Rollins Pass another time (next weekend?) It feels good to know I am healing.

2wheels

·
bike rider
5,549 Posts
Flyer said:
Did you ride/hike up that long rocky section to Kenosha or is there an alternate route that is more rideable? Riding down it is fun but riding up it sounds like a curse-fest unless you carry regular sneakers as well. :)
Don't know what you mean. The only area I walked all day was 100 yards of the climb up South Fork Rd to Georgia Pass, just too loose and steep. All of the Colorado Trail and Jackson Trail were sweet except a few trees down on Jackson. There was a rocky climb or two on the CT as I approached Kenosha Pass but they were easy on the Ibis.

The route was:
Leave Carter Park and climb the Barney Ford Trail
Sally Barber Rd
Humbug Hill climb
American Flume
South Fork Rd to Georgia Pass and up to the CT
Colorado Trail to Kenosha Pass
Colorado Trail back to Jackson Creek Trail
Jackson Creek Trail to the top
Colorado Trail down to North Fork
Up a quad trail to Lincoln Meadows
East to Flume Trails on various Jeep trails & singletracks
Descend Flume Trails to Town

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just got up there for the first time yesterday hardly anyone around . what a great ride and the Aspens will be awsome in about two weeks !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts