Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may try Kennedy on my SS for the first time. I've never been and I live in Saratoga. Can anyone tell me where the trailhead is?

Thanks!

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RJG said:
I don't know what kind of shape you're in but I suggest bring your legs, lungs and some comfortable walking shoes.;)
LOL! No kidding. I'm getting stronger from riding SS and want to challenge myself. Has anyone done it on SS? Is it doable or am I jsut wasting my time?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Kennedy is doable on a SS, The Motion based link I posted was on my SS 29er with 32 X20 gearing.

What time were you thinking of going, I might be able to make this ride today, with SS.

-Jeff

·
What would Pimpbot do?
364 Posts
bullit71 said:
LOL! No kidding. I'm getting stronger from riding SS and want to challenge myself. Has anyone done it on SS? Is it doable or am I jsut wasting my time?

Thanks!
At Kennedy, I've seen JeffH climbing his Niner and another time I saw some other guy out of saddle on a long climbing section on a SS. It looks masochistic but doable to those freaks. I think Francis climbed it with a loaded trailer in his middle ring for Turkey Day. That counts for something, right? Enjoy :thumbsup:

·
Registered
457 Posts
rensho said:
Jeffh, don't go without me. let me know when. I'll try Kennedy on my SS as well.
Rensho, you're going to "try it". You can't fool us, we all know that you and Francis and the other masochists, as foggygoggles put it, are in super freaky good shape. I've done it few times on the SS myself. I found it more like a religious experience and a test of will. I also knew what I was getting into. Great rain ride though, it will be fine to ride today. I say go for it Bullit71, it can't hurt.:smilewinkgrin:
R

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Uh oh. Looks like i've been outed.
RJ, you heading out for a ride today? Should we call you, not that I know your number...

The rain is not suppose to get any worse than right now, and is suppose to clear up.

B71, if you've been riding SS and like it, you'll be fine up Kennedy. It is tough, slightly resembling hell at times, but then it ends. The thing to do is just take your time, rather than see how fast you can climb it. We'll save that for early summer.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm out for today. I have other plans with the SO. I would have had to have left about 9:00 AM to get a ride in today. I smell HCW coming pretty soon though.
Rick

·
Mtbr Founder
35,499 Posts
Kennedy is 1800 feet in 4 miles. Climbing it on a singlespeed is like climbing it on a freeride bike... hellish.

If you're new to SS'ing and don't know about your gearing, you will have a nice hike, or you can injure yourself like SMW.

Bring the XC bike and get to know the climb first.

francois

·
What would Pimpbot do?
364 Posts
jonala said:
Has this ride already started?
I am sure there are people riding up Kennedy as I type. I can see from where I sit that clouds still shroud the top of Kennedy, but it looks killer otherwise. Velodromed, a team mate of his and I will start from East Los Gatos (not downtown) at 1:30 and we should be at the Kennedy trailhead around 2pm if you would like to join us. Velodromed and I both ride XC bikes, not SS.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for the reply Foggy but I had already left, before I saw your post.

I went up Monte Bello rode across to PMR. Froze and got wet from heavy drizzle all the way down PMR. At least I got out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Did a lazy afternoon ride up Kennedy today for the first time in a Looong time, I swear I used to know every little rock I used to ride it so much. Condition were pretty decent, even spotted bullit71 and chatted with him for a couple minutes.

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I did the ride...

....and it kicked my a$$!! Now look, I'm ~230lbs these days but getting stronger - however, I've got a lot of weight to push up those hills. I like good food and good drink. That said, I finally made my way to Kennedy following the above directions with my black lab in tow. For some reason I pictured Kennedy being some off-the-beaten-path trail in the middle of nowhere. But after seeing a bunch of cars and a women with her dog on the leash, I knew the pooch wouldn't be able to join me on my inaugural trip. So back to the house to drop her off and back to the trailhead.

At first I was in heaven. It started out with a slight downhill, and then a brisk climb that leveled out nicely. I was feeling good. My heart was pumpin' and the legs were feeling great.

Then began a rather steep incline that continued and continued and continued....OMG! I was ok at first but there wasn't any letup! No leveling off. Just straight up. Jeez... After awhile I stopped and took a breather and then stopped again, and again. Finally I ran into TahoeBC and almost begged, 'How much further up?'. We were about halfway.

<sigh> I have a long way to go to concuring Kennedy, but now I have a goal. Here's to trying....

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Glad to here you found the trail and made it to the top ! , it sounds like you did a out and back ride on Kennedy with your car parked at the top of Kennedy road.

Kennedy has a great back side also, down dog meat and overgrown that will bring you right back down into downtown Los Gatos via the Creek trail for a very nice loop. If you park you car near Los Gatos Blvd. and Kennedy rd or down by Summit bicycle in Los Gatos it works best for a loop ride.

Come spring time Hill Climb Wednesday will get fired back up for a little mid week after work enjoyment with Kennedy and El Sereno being key climbs. :eek:

Also El Sereno is very similar to the Kennedy climb but it is just a little shorter and a easier grade, just a little. Also both of these climbs drain water well and are rocky enough to ride after a rain.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Bullit71, you were about a 2 to 3 minute ride from the Big Oak tree, that at least mentally I consider Midway.

BTW what's everyone's fastest speed down dog meat ? Back when I use to ride it a lot, I got my Hardtail going down it at 47 MPH once. Another time I got a speeding ticket there. Anyway the trail is way more buff now and the Ellsworth really smooths things out, but I was quite surprised when I looked at my Max speed today, I'm sure it was some kind of error on my computer, but generally it's very accurate. Just Curious what others are hitting these days?

·
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jeffh said:
Glad to here you found the trail and made it to the top ! , it sounds like you did a out and back ride on Kennedy with your car parked at the top of Kennedy road.

Kennedy has a great back side also, down dog meat and overgrown that will bring you right back down into downtown Los Gatos via the Creek trail for a very nice loop. If you park you car near Los Gatos Blvd. and Kennedy rd or down by Summit bicycle in Los Gatos it works best for a loop ride.

Come spring time Hill Climb Wednesday will get fired back up for a little mid week after work enjoyment with Kennedy and El Sereno being key climbs. :eek:

Also El Sereno is very similar to the Kennedy climb but it is just a little shorter and a easier grade, just a little. Also both of these climbs drain water well and are rocky enough to ride after a rain.
Yeah, sorry Jeff, only made it about half way. My legs literally couldn't turn the cranks anymore. But the more I push myself the stronger I'll get.

I'm looking forward to hill climb wednesdays!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.