Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best side to attack this? I have always used the granny and take it to the extreme left where it is smoother. But apparently people ride up this thing on mid chainring or even on single speed. For this kind of effort, do you guys hammer it up right in the middle? Seems like it is really loose and rocky/rooty there?

I would like to give this a try on the mid chainring. (have cleared everything else on this trail up to the second wall on midring)

Thanks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Loll said:
Where is the best side to attack this? I have always used the granny and take it to the extreme left where it is smoother. But apparently people ride up this thing on mid chainring or even on single speed. For this kind of effort, do you guys hammer it up right in the middle? Seems like it is really loose and rocky/rooty there?

I would like to give this a try on the mid chainring. (have cleared everything else on this trail up to the second wall on midring)

Thanks.:thumbsup:
32 X 19 ss'er right up the middle. Both of the "it's" are in great climbing shape ! :p

·
Mtbr Founder
35,474 Posts
Dude, it really depends how powerful you are and how tired you are at that point. You use the gear that you can turn.

At this time of year you can pick any line there. In the summer, the extreme left line is what holds up well.

Fc

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
depend on the bike :)
on my climbing cheater bike - middle ring (it's only ring that bike have)
on cushy bike - granny cause I'm lazy. Left side with sometime drifting into the middle on the second walls. Loose stuff is not bad at all (it's just mental) as long as you spinning smooth.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Same here......I stay to the left and occasionally stray towards the center. I never go to the right as that seems to be chewed up. I just drop into the granny gear and spin like crazy and don't stop till the top with my butt in seat all the way. I have a Fox TALAS so I drop the front to its' lowest setting which helps me keep the front tire down on the ground.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Once you get those two walls you can go get the harder one's on the ridge on your way to woods and el sombroso ! :eek: Final frontier is climbing dogmeat/priest rock ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have always used the smooth line to the left but was forced off it to the center when climbing for the Turkey Day festivities and was surprised to find that the rest of it isn't that bad. But I'd always choose the smooth line given the choice.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have made it up in the middle of the trail and in the middle ring before but only after remembering to delfate my tires significantly. Ortherwise, I have lost traction trying to muscle it up. It is a good feeling to get up those walls.

·
Registered
222 Posts
ancient rascal said:
Don't worry too much.....The walls and trails are good all over. Just got back. :D
Good to hear. I hoping to break 50 minute mark, since I'm in better shape (and the bike is lubed) than last two climbs. But, most of all, I'm looking to not fall coming down the dogmeat, and go faster than 5mph. :skep: :D

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
light_monkey said:
Good to hear. I hoping to break 50 minute mark, since I'm in better shape (and the bike is lubed) than last two climbs. But, most of all, I'm looking to not fall coming down the dogmeat, and go faster than 5mph. :skep: :D
If you want to get stronger in a hurry head out on the ridge top to woods/Limekiln intersection instead of down dogmeat. The 1.5 mile trail has steep rollers and you even have to climb back out to get back to where u came from. Best 1.5 mile bang for the buck in the whole place. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
222 Posts
ancient rascal said:
If you want to get stronger in a hurry head out on the ridge top to woods/Limekiln intersection instead of down dogmeat. The 1.5 mile trail has steep rollers and you even have to climb back out to get back to where u came from. Best 1.5 mile bang for the buck in the whole place. :thumbsup:
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Kennedy trail was slightly windy, but everything else was ideal. Ideal except my legs have failed me. According to Strava my time going up Kennedy was a little below 58 minutes. Since I can go sub 20 minutes on St Joes without overly exerting myself, I was sure I could do sub 50 minutes. :madmax: On a positive note, I no longer have a death grip when descending on a mountain bike. AND, I cleaned the Kennedy walls. Slowly, but surely I'm getting hang of it. :thumbsup:

I need to do Kennedy Trail more and add STP to my diet. I thought I enjoyed road biking, but mountain bike is addictive. In a good way, of course.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
light_monkey said:
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Kennedy trail was slightly windy, but everything else was ideal. Ideal except my legs have failed me. According to Strava my time going up Kennedy was a little below 58 minutes. Since I can go sub 20 minutes on St Joes without overly exerting myself, I was sure I could do sub 50 minutes. :madmax: On a positive note, I no longer have a death grip when descending on a mountain bike. AND, I cleaned the Kennedy walls. Slowly, but surely I'm getting hang of it. :thumbsup:

I need to do Kennedy Trail more and add STP to my diet. I thought I enjoyed road biking, but mountain bike is addictive. In a good way, of course.
Use the road bike to build your endurance for the Kennedy climb. Or, those 10 min climbing repeats right near your house or something.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
I usually go anywhere it is the least loose.

Damn, went there after work a couple days ago, and barely made it in 55 min. Used to be well under 50. :madman: Yeah, I am slow in any case...

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Axe said:
I usually go anywhere it is the least loose.

Damn, went there after work a couple days ago, and barely made it in 55 min. Used to be well under 50. :madman: Yeah, I am slow in any case...
You can join the 50 min club. On the few (very few) times I have made it up that in less than 50, I'm dancing all around. I even scared off a mountain lion with my really bad jig.

·
Registered
222 Posts
ziscwg said:
Use the road bike to build your endurance for the Kennedy climb. Or, those 10 min climbing repeats right near your house or something.
I think you're right. My endurance was better when I used to do road bike exclusively. In most days, I have only enough time to do quick ride to St Joes. I'm looking forward to summer when my schedule will allow me to ride a little more.

Off topic, I've noticed that there are weekly group rides for road bikes offered by various cycling clubs. Is there similar group ride for mt bikes on a consistent basis?

·
CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
1,289 Posts
light_monkey said:
Off topic, I've noticed that there are weekly group rides for road bikes offered by various cycling clubs. Is there similar group ride for mt bikes on a consistent basis?
Passion Trail Bikes Wednesday Wrides start this Wednesday.
Later in year there is usually a Kennedy Hill Climb Wedneday (HCW), Thursday Night Gap Ride (TNGR) and occasionally a weekly Santa Teresa Rocky Ridge ride.

The Passion Trail Bikes ride is the most regular.

Travis

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.