Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kennedy PR and Loop Challenge

1K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  JMac47 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, now I'm just in rehash mode. Last Thursday was a good climbing day for me.

I did my best Kennedy climb in 20 years of riding. It was a solo effort and I never suffered that day unlike the last painful month. I guess we do our time and hope there's days like this.

So my Kennedy was 36:06. It beat my previous best by 4 seconds and that was on a lighter bike in full race mode against a lot of folks.
http://app.strava.com/rides/298454#4641331

But what is really cool for me is I pushed on to the three walls to Woods trail, descended then climbed Dog Meat. I dabbed and ran then I turned left and descended Kennedy.
The time for the entire loop
Time for this effort was 1:32
Altitude gain was around 3500+ (strava got confused)
http://app.strava.com/rides/298454#4644064

Anyone willing to try the lollipop loop? I mean, I've been riding the area for about 15 years and I have never even attempted that loop. It is just ridiculous. That day it wasn't as I reminisce :)

fc

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
Francois,

If the weather holds off on Friday, I will try the loop from hell. Not sure I will be up to setting a PR up Kennedy but I think I could do this ride. It is impressive that you did all that climbing and got your best time all without suffering like before. I might even park in downtown and climb the road up too. It all sounds fine as I sit on the couch right now but come friday, who knows. My legs need a bit of rest for these upcoming days. How is the knee?

Paul

#5 ·
francois said:
Ok, now I'm just in rehash mode. Last Thursday was a good climbing day for me.

I did my best Kennedy climb in 20 years of riding. It was a solo effort and I never suffered that day unlike the last painful month. I guess we do our time and hope there's days like this.

So my Kennedy was 36:06. It beat my previous best by 4 seconds and that was on a lighter bike in full race mode against a lot of folks.
http://app.strava.com/rides/298454#4641331

But what is really cool for me is I pushed on to the three walls to Woods trail, descended then climbed Dog Meat. I dabbed and ran then I turned left and descended Kennedy.
The time for the entire loop
Time for this effort was 1:32
Altitude gain was around 3500+ (strava got confused)
http://app.strava.com/rides/298454#4644064

Anyone willing to try the lollipop loop? I mean, I've been riding the area for about 15 years and I have never even attempted that loop. It is just ridiculous. That day it wasn't as I reminisce :)

fc
I have done the lollipop from Alamden QS (up almaden, up sierra azul over the top, down dog meat, over the short SJH, through LG, up Kennedy (road and climb), over the 3 walls (walk them as I was toast), down SA and AQS, done. That was a killer. I am slow so I would not be one to go with you (50+ min up Kennedy).

#6 ·
Nicely done !

Great pics of Kennedy francois :thumbsup: Congrats on your times ! I was out there with friends Saturday and Sunday on the SS. We are doing the Kennedy rd. entrance to El Sombroso and back the way we came on Sundays now. I think it starts at around 400 feet. Do you or someone else know the total elevation gained on that round trip run to El Sombroso? It is listed at 2999 ft. but the rollers on the ridge with the biachis add a bunch of ft. gain on the up and back the same way trip. Our buddy with the trip computer has been a no show after a road crash for now. Thanks in advance ! -Ben :D

#8 ·
Your ride inspired me to go do something I have been meaning to do for a while and I did somehow managed it pain free. Climbed Montevina and Kennedy (and down Dogmeat) in one session...5000+ft climb...something like 25 miles. Not bad for a DHer (sort of). This then inspired my buddy to do Soda Springs and Montevina in one session. On my run, coming down Dogmeat, somehow managed to twist my chain. As I tried fixing, a SOB horse fly totally attacked me...just relentless...reminded me of flatting in Whistler.

Anyhow, the thought of doing yours sends me into a full body cramp but I'll put in on the list. Well done and heal up!

#9 ·
squashyo said:
Your ride inspired me to go do something I have been meaning to do for a while and I did somehow managed it pain free. Climbed Montevina and Kennedy (and down Dogmeat) in one session...5000+ft climb...something like 25 miles. Not bad for a DHer (sort of). This then inspired my buddy to do Soda Springs and Montevina in one session. On my run, coming down Dogmeat, somehow managed to twist my chain. As I tried fixing, a SOB horse fly totally attacked me...just relentless...reminded me of flatting in Whistler.

Anyhow, the thought of doing yours sends me into a full body cramp but I'll put in on the list. Well done and heal up!
I saw your ride. Very, very cool feat!

#10 ·
Sup guys,

Congrats for the PR to the top, is very hard to do that on a SS!
About the loop, this is a great ride, the so called "Meat Grinder" its about a endless climb that gets even more interesting when you straight to woods trail and do the way back up to Kennedy trail/ parking lot!

1:30hr its a good time to do the loop and back to Kennedy parking lot too!

Best

#11 ·
Brazilian Climber said:
Sup guys,

Congrats for the PR to the top, is very hard to do that on a SS!
About the loop, this is a great ride, the so called "Meat Grinder" its about a endless climb that gets even more interesting when you straight to woods trail and do the way back up to Kennedy trail/ parking lot!

1:30hr its a good time to do the loop and back to Kennedy parking lot too!

Best
What is up Darcio? I think you told me about this loop. Or do you descend Dogmeat and come up the other way? I think I said why would you want to do something crazy like that??? Anyway, inspiration strikes at the strangest times. It's interesting since there's little punchy climbs everywhere, even on the Kennedy descent.

Btw, I was using a 4 inch full suspension bike. This is not doable nor safe on my SS.

fc

#12 ·
Oh, so you did the 36 minutes on you FS? if so, even better!!

Yes thats normally what I do, go down dog meat and come back up power poles, learned that side few years ago with our buddy Ancient Rascal, the worst was when we climbed Dog meat backup towards Kennedy!! When you wanna race Kennedy trail geared to the top or even the loop, let me know! I just dont have my Strava yet to share my PR online!

Bast,

Darcio

#13 ·
Brazilian Climber said:
Oh, so you did the 36 minutes on you FS? if so, even better!!

Yes thats normally what I do, go down dog meat and come back up power poles, learned that side few years ago with our buddy Ancient Rascal, the worst was when we climbed Dog meat backup towards Kennedy!! When you wanna race Kennedy trail geared to the top or even the loop, let me know! I just dont have my Strava yet to share my PR online!

Bast,

Darcio
Right on man, I'm injured for a couple of weeks. I may actually get some work done.

fc

#15 ·
Great photos, brings back memories. I used to ride that trail twice a week around 20 years ago. Last time a went up Kennedy was 6 years ago on my 50th b-day. I was happy to go up in less than 45 minutes. I enjoy this forum and because of it I am going to buy a new mountain bike very soon, and I will challenge the Kennedy climb once again. I will be 57 in a few months so I think I will be happy if I can beat my age......................but we'll see. I hope you recover soon from your crash. I used to ride Fremont Older all the time and I never did like going down that trail. Going up was a challenge but going down was nervy.

#16 ·
Brazilian Climber said:
Dang it!! Hope it aint nothing serious!!

Recover well to get back to the trail soon bra!!

Best

Darcio
I'm fine. I just needed a big band-aid. My riding partner on the right is bummed though!

f

Attachments

#17 ·
Great phot fc !

francois said:
I'm fine. I just needed a big band-aid. My riding partner on the right is bummed though!

f
Just wait til the boy pulls that out pic of the family albumn and embarrass's YOU in front of his girlfriend later in life! Awesome family you got there to hang with you while getting your booboo attended to. :thumbsup:

On a serious note, been watching your ride stats from up here in Norcal. You've been riding strong as ever. Heal up and get back at it before you lose it ol' man. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.