Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Sounds fun!

mtroy said:
Driving past the entrance to Nine Mile Cyn off CA Hwy 395 got me thinking about the potential for bikepacking in that area. Tons of moto trails up there, high elevation, water, meadows.

Any experience?
No experience, other than doing a project for work out in that end of CA, and I thought the land was absolutely beautiful. I love Mono Lake.

*edit*

Okay, just looked that up on a map. I guess KM is way further south than I thought.

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is not that easy to find that combo of reasonable roads/trails in a beautiful place, water, and enough square miles to make a good loop of things over 2 or 3 days. At least not near my area of living.

This area has a lot of OHV use all the way over to Sherman Pass. I am most interested in the eastern side of things.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
mtroy said:
Driving past the entrance to Nine Mile Cyn off CA Hwy 395 got me thinking about the potential for bikepacking in that area. Tons of moto trails up there, high elevation, water, meadows.

Any experience?
No recent experience! :) I did do a camping trip up there, with motos, but that was more than 20 years ago. What I recall was lots of trails, right up to the wilderness boundaries. In fact, I met a guy who's passion was trout fishing. He'd moto up to the edge of the Golden Trout Wilderness, then day hike in to some remote streams for a day of catch and release.

Trails back then were good - some fire road, but lots of singletrack, not too many signs, so there was lots of route finding involved. That end of the Sierras is pretty interesting.

I can't recall the name of the place we camped, but it was a forest service campground, in past Kennedy Meadows, and at a higher elevation, so more forested and cooler

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.