Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Livin' the Dream
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any hints on how to get a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 to set up on a UST rim? I have the bead seated and it will hold air at 35psi. I've got 2 cups of Stan's sealant in each tire but it slowly loses pressure after only about 20-40 minutes. I know I need to get the sealant to contact all areas of the interior of the tire, but after turning the wheels all different directions while rotating, I'm clearly unsuccessful. Is there something else that may work, or something else I'm missing here? Thanks in advance for your replies. Shiggy?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi there!

Since the Kenda only makes 2.1 tubeless and their 2.35 is on tubeless thus it is more pourous. Did you say you put 2 cups or 2 ounces of Stans. ?? If you put 2 ounces, you need to put 4 ounces as that is what I did on a Mavic 819 and 2.35 Nevegals. Yes, you would less air a bit, especially when you dont ride it often. The more you ride it the more the sealant will coat the pourous tire and the less you will looose pressure. Try that and goodluck...
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Asbury said:
Any hints on how to get a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 to set up on a UST rim? ... Is there something else that may work, or something else I'm missing here? Thanks in advance for your replies. Shiggy?:thumbsup:
Use inner tubes.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Sometimes they take a while to set up, what you are describing is not unusual. I have found that single wall tires like the Nevegal sometimes go flat again over the next 24-48hrs. Just reinflate, shake and they should be okay. Did you do the Stan's shake technique to coat the inside uniformly?

The worst tires I ever set up were the Kenda K-Rads on my urban bike. It took about a week to get them to finally hold air. I imagine it's the super cheap sidewalls, the K-Rad is not a very nice tire.

Easiest were DH Nevegals. They held air just fine without using Stans at all, but I wanted the puncture resistance.

JMH

Asbury said:
Any hints on how to get a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 to set up on a UST rim? I have the bead seated and it will hold air at 35psi. I've got 2 cups of Stan's sealant in each tire but it slowly loses pressure after only about 20-40 minutes. I know I need to get the sealant to contact all areas of the interior of the tire, but after turning the wheels all different directions while rotating, I'm clearly unsuccessful. Is there something else that may work, or something else I'm missing here? Thanks in advance for your replies. Shiggy?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Asbury said:
If it's holding air, try riding it around for 30 minutes or more. My Nevs and BG's stopped leaking air after a couple of rides...

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had the same problems with 2.1 Neve's - here's what you have to do:
Do the "Stan's Shake" - hold the wheel vertically and shake the bottom back and forth to thoroughly coat the side walls and beads - rotate the wheel 10 degrees or so and repeat (this per the vid on Stan's web site). Then lay the wheel horizontally on a bucket or something equivalent (so it sits level) and go do something else for many hours (i.e., overnight). Then reinflate and do the Stan's Shake again and lay the wheel horizontally on the other side and go do something else for several hours. I literally had to do this for about a week before the beads would seal (soapy water will reveal where the air is leaking out). It's a pain in the arse, but I haven't had any problems with them since that ordeal.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I had this problem once all the shaking never helped.

Soap and water on the spoke holes, your valve stem maybe leaking and the air will come out the spoke holes.

Instuctions say vaseline, and finger tight, I use Stans and really finger tight.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Assuming you've checked for leaks in the spoke holes and around the valve.

Pump it up to 50 psi and ride it around the block to get it to really set in the rim. If you see any holes that aren't sealing mark them and patch them with crazy glue inside and out. Let it sit overnight at 50 psi after riding it around. Drop it down to 30 right before your ride and then adjust while on the trail.

I've had very few problems with Kenda's and Stan's when the tires were new. After some wear I was unable to get them to set on the rims. I'm running DH tubes in them now because I can't stop flatting with std tubes.

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,165 Posts
It is a tubeless tire yes?. If so, you should be pumping the tire up to near max psi to POP the beads into place. I like to leave mine overnight the first time at the high psi before setting back to riding pressure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.