1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Simonster said:
Do you have an actual weight on these?
I got 4 of these tires. The weights were:

580g, 585g, 620g, 635g - so a fairly big variance

I also got 2 of the Karma 1.9's which are supposed to be in the 500g range. Mine 604g and 608g.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
A century of rubber bike tire technology, and has weight variance ever been worse at the highest quality level?For the Karma, I've read ~460g reports as well as this 608g one. I do not think it's the scales.

·
Registered
392 Posts
sperky said:
I got 4 of these tires. The weights were:

580g, 585g, 620g, 635g - so a fairly big variance

I also got 2 of the Karma 1.9's which are supposed to be in the 500g range. Mine 604g and 608g.
Can you order just the sub 600 gram ones????;)

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Personally...

...I wouldn't put Kenda at the highest quality level. :D Your mileage may vary.

Cloxxki said:
A century of rubber bike tire technology, and has weight variance ever been worse at the highest quality level?For the Karma, I've read ~460g reports as well as this 608g one. I do not think it's the scales.

·
Registered
385 Posts
grrrah said:
I haven't read the reports, but the 460 grams sounds like the 26" versions (karma).
I took off my original Karma 29 I purchased last March (but not mounted until a month ago) and it came in at 515g.

I also have a 26" Karma....it came in at 448g.

So with regards to the variation in the SB8's, I'm thinking I should put a light one in the front and heavier one in the back (maybe it will offer more pinch protection)....or does it not really matter?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Lighter in the back would help RR, lighter in the front would reduce steering input effort (not that 29" riders tend care for that).

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
sperky said:
I'm thinking I should put a light one in the front and heavier one in the back (maybe it will offer more pinch protection)....or does it not really matter?
Unless you're after lowest rolling resistance for racing, I'd put the heavier one in back for better pinch flat (and puncture) protection. I suppose the lighter one in front might marginally quicken handling too, as Cloxx mentioned.

Cloxxki said:
For the Karma, I've read ~460g reports as well as this 608g one.
That would be 440g! Within +/- 5g of my WormDrives. And yes, for those that don't remember the thread, that is for the 29" version. Picked up 3 thorn flats in a month with that tire.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
midget said:
Can you order just the sub 600 gram ones????;)
Yes, but it'll cost you +/-40 more. :p :D

Okay, that sucked, but you get my point.

Yeah, you know, working in the (plastic injection) mold industry all these years I STILL don't get the weight variances seen. I mean come ON, wtf?!?!??!?! You gotta wonder if/how much this affects reviews. :confused:

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
I got 10 pairs on my doorstep and 4 of them weigh 530 grams. NOT!:p

Ok, someone mount this tire and go outside and take a decent photo. How big is it compared to other tires. What's this tires supposed to be good at anyway. Not mud right?

Closely spaced knobs...
- low rolling resistance?
- gravel?

fc

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
francois said:
I got 10 pairs on my doorstep and 4 of them weigh 530 grams. NOT!:p

Ok, someone mount this tire and go outside and take a decent photo. How big is it compared to other tires. What's this tires supposed to be good at anyway. Not mud right?

Closely spaced knobs...
- low rolling resistance?
- gravel?

fc
Maybe it's a poor assumption on my part, but my take was it would be very similar to it's 26" counterpart (fast, hardpack only, kiss your ass goodbye in loose) mixed with Cloxxki's +10% rule (add 10% to pro's, subtract 10% for con's :p :D ).

:confused:

Can't help but shudder a bit with timehoc's comment - it's true. (well put)

·
Not an O2 thief.
598 Posts
This year's must be heavier

I think this year's Kendas are heavier. My Karma 29's from last season....labeled 2.2 but really about 1.9....were all 500g +or- 15 g. I had 4 and I did all the norba nats with those 4 tires...short track and xc. I had great luck with them with no flats during the races. Problem was the sidewalls were so thin you had to use a ton of sealant to get 'em sealed.

I never weighed them after they sealed and with the sealant in them. This year's tires are definitely heavier, but they are sealing up easier. The Neve's and the Karmas (both sizes) are not spewing sealant out the side like last year's. They are a bit heavier though....th smaller Karmas sitting closer to 540 g each. Maybe the trade off of the heavier sidewalls will be beneficial as the thin sidewalls were a major complaint about all the Kenda race tires.

I got billed for my Small Blocks, but they haven't arrived yet.:mad: Probably tomorrow though. I loved the small block in the 26" 1.9. It was light and fast and super sticky. I think the 1.9 size would be better for the 29'r as most people will use the small block for buff single track and fire roads like Deer Valley, McDowell, and Sonoma National courses. But for fun riding, I'm looking forward to having the 2.1 in the quiver.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here are some 29r Kenda weights, taken from the Kenda catalogue.

Small block 8 500 +/- 25
Nevegal 825 +/- 40
Karma 2.2 780 +/- 40
1.9 495 +/- 25

·
industry employee
290 Posts
I ride the 26 x 2.35" version on the rear of my All-Mountain machine. This rolls really well and has great traction (even during the central Oregon dusty months). Also, I've found the tread works very well on hardpack snow and ice.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Please, someone compare the casing width of the Karma and SB8?
Karma IMO is not really a narrow tire, 50mm is not bad at all. Many popular 2.1's in the 26" world read much less.

>Cloxxki's +10% rule (add 10% to pro's, subtract 10% for con's
Whahaha! Did I really think that up? Can't even remember! I'd be proud of that, as it's a good rule :)
Exception to the rule (rules need exceptions after all) may be mud shedding (my latest belief).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.