Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my team will have a Kenda sponsorship this year. I don't know much about their line. I raced on Maxxis Ignitors last season and Bonty XDX's. Was looking at Racing Ralph's for this season but I just found out about the Kenda deal. Looking for something with some side bite, decent rolling and a reasonable weight. I also run tubeless with sealant. I'm in rocky New England as well so durability is needed.

I just looked at the Slant Six and the Karma. Any other choices?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have used Karmas 2.1 up front and 1.9 in back with no issues in upstate NY. In the thick slop they lack but they have done fine on loose over hard pack, rocks (no sidewall tears yet), damp, etc

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Tinshield said:
Any other choices?
Switch teams.:D

It's a whole new ballgame at Kenda this year for 29"ers. So you might just have to be the Guinea Pig and try them all out as their line up is brand spanking new.

Slant Six (combo of Nevegal and Small Block 8), Kozmik Lite II for rear, Klimax Lite, Happy Medium, as well as the old standards Karma 1.9's, Small Block 8, Nevegal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been running Small Block 8 as my favorite rear tire for a few years. I've just snagged a couple of Ikons and am trying them out. But I have nothing but love for the SB8 on rocks and hardpack. If you deal with lots of wet trail conditions, it probably wouldn't work nearly as well, though.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
direneed said:
I've been running Small Block 8 as my favorite rear tire for a few years. I've just snagged a couple of Ikons and am trying them out. But I have nothing but love for the SB8 on rocks and hardpack. If you deal with lots of wet trail conditions, it probably wouldn't work nearly as well, though.
Yeah they pack up too much. A friend was running them briefly.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Switch teams.:D

It's a whole new ballgame at Kenda this year for 29"ers. So you might just have to be the Guinea Pig and try them all out as their line up is brand spanking new.

Slant Six (combo of Nevegal and Small Block 8), Kozmik Lite II for rear, Klimax Lite, Happy Medium, as well as the old standards Karma 1.9's, Small Block 8, Nevegal.
Well, the Karma, SB8 and Nevegal are available. I would not count on seeing the other announced tires anytime soon. They still have not shipped some models that were announce at interbike 2009.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
shiggy said:
Well, the Karma, SB8 and Nevegal are available. I would not count on seeing the other announced tires anytime soon. They still have not shipped some models that were announce at interbike 2009.
Hmmmm....

I wonder what's up with Kenda? Announcements, new tires listed on their website - and no product. :nono:

I guess the OP is back to Karma/SB Eight/Nevegal - or switching teams.;)

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I like Nevegal front, SB8 rear. I like the looks of the Slant Six as well and wouldn't mind giving it a try. I'd like to try it in the front on fast hardpacked rides instead of my Nevegal, with the SB8 rear. I bet that'd be a fast combo. Or for looser or more aggressive conditions, the Nevegal front and Slant Six rear.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The nevegal is an awesome tire that can be ridden fine tubeless and in all 4 seasons; however, it weighs a ton and is one of the slowest rolling tires they make. I would stick with a karma up front and sb8 in rear or karmas all around if it is going to be wet.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Hmmmm....

I wonder what's up with Kenda? Announcements, new tires listed on their website - and no product. :nono:

I guess the OP is back to Karma/SB Eight/Nevegal - or switching teams.;)
Not enough production capacity. They produce tires for other brands and their own models are being bumped.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
SB8 for hardpack. The Slant Six looks promising, but who knows when it will be available in 29er or how much it will weight. I have heard rumors of under 600 grams to over 800 grams.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
shiggy said:
Not enough production capacity. They produce tires for other brands and their own models are being bumped.
Well, at least they are making some money with those contracts for the other brands.:thumbsup:

I do like the looks of some of the tread patterns they have listed on their site for 29"er, so I hope that someday in the future a couple of them get released. That Nevegal/SB 8 combo they are dubbing the Slant Six probably interests me the most to try - if and when.

BB

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Well, at least they are making some money with those contracts for the other brands.:thumbsup:

I do like the looks of some of the tread patterns they have listed on their site for 29"er, so I hope that someday in the future a couple of them get released. That Nevegal/SB 8 combo they are dubbing the Slant Six probably interests me the most to try - if and when.

BB
Except they could make more selling their own brand. A peeve of the US office.

The Kommando is the new model that intrigues me. A scaled up version of their 'cross tire. The pic on the site is for the narrow version and the 1.9 and 2.2 look very different. Unlike any mtb tread as of yet.

pic from 29inches.com

·
Registered
586 Posts
I just posted in another thread, but I am having the Slant Six put on my new bike right now and will be picking it up this weekend. They look very promising for New England terrain. A 6"-12" snow storm for tomorrow is going to make it a while till they see dirt though.

·
NedwannaB
12,791 Posts
Regarding tubeless

Tinshield said:
Looks like my team will have a Kenda sponsorship this year. I don't know much about their line. I raced on Maxxis Ignitors last season and Bonty XDX's. Was looking at Racing Ralph's for this season but I just found out about the Kenda deal. Looking for something with some side bite, decent rolling and a reasonable weight. I also run tubeless with sealant. I'm in rocky New England as well so durability is needed.

I just looked at the Slant Six and the Karma. Any other choices?
From site:

"Kenda does not endorse the use of any fluid-based sealant products in any Kenda tube-type or tubeless-type tires. Use of any fluid-based products will void any warranty claims
29'' models are L3R Pro compound"

Maybe your team sponsor will not worry about this. I realize people run various Kenda models with sealant. Their sidewalls seem to be a little less pourus then say WTB non-tubeless version. I am getting Karmas and was planning to get the Stans kit but am having second thoughts now. Think I'll run tubes first off and see how I like them.

·
Trail Ninja
6,304 Posts
I'd say fhaaaggit abowdit. From my experience, Kenda's no good in the NE. I rode SB8s and the rear sidewall got eaten up within 200 miles. Also, once the rocks and leaves got wet, it was slipping even on really slight inclines (I mean less than 5% grade). Also tried Nevegal but the sidewall is so flimsy and runs poorly with low pressures. The SB8 converted to tubeless easy enough though, but the sidewalls got shredded too much for tubeless on the rear end of the bike. They all pinch flat easily too--even if you pump them up over 35 psi and bounce off every rock, they'll still manage to pinch flat.

Haven't tried any of the new Kenda tires, but the only new one available is the Slant Six. Dunno if that has sidewalls that can withstand rocks though.

Fire XC Pros seem to be popular up there. Another friend of mine likes Rubber Queens for Diablo, but that's park riding stuff on a Kona Dawg or maybe his Stab. I'm a big Maxxis fan--I run High Rollers on my 26 since it loves to lean and Ikon EXO x2 my 29er XC bike (which had SB8s before). I highly recommend the Ikons.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.