Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Kenda doesn't recommend running their stock tires tubeless with sealant, but Stan does, and there seem be plenty of riders on here who are using them this way. (Ironically, Stan doesn't recommend running Pythons with Stan's, but I had no problem with six of them over two years.) I set up my bike with Nevegals and Stan's a year ago, and was immediately blown away by the grip and cornering improvement. I weigh 190, have been running 30 psi back, 25 front. In April, the well worn rear tire developed casing separation. I'd left the bike in the back of my hatchback on a very hot day, in the sun, and assumed it was my stupidity. But it happened again last week. Same length of time and miles on the tire, six months/85% tread wear. But this time in LA winter, in other words moderate temperature conditions,(and I've been religious about not leaving the bike in a hot car or letting the sun touch the tires when it's parked. I'd already bought a new Nevegal and just mounted it, but am a little nervous now about the thought of a blowout cornering at 30 mph. Anyone else experience this? Suggestions?
~ Blacky

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Btw

Both failures were the rear tire. Interesting that the front tire has lasted a year with no problem (in fact I reloaded it with Stan's about a month ago). Naturally I examined it carefully. It look fine.
~ Blacky

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
No problems here either...

I've run DTC and Stick-E 2.35 Nevs and BG's with Stans with no damage to the tire in the past year. I've also experienced the Stan's blowout on a Mutano 2.4. I left the bike out in the sun (100 degree desert heat) and I'm assuming that the rim heated the Stan's goop enough to expand whatever gas (ammonia?) to blow it off the rim.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first one didn't blow, it just developed a 3 cm bump in the center. When I removed the tire there was latex fluid between the inner and outer casing. And, like you, I assumed it was my fault for letting it overheat in the hot car. But the second one had never experienced heat abuse, and was more dramatic, with the outer casing/tread popping like a balloon. They were both Stick-E 2.1's. The tire I just installed is a DTC. Again, both failures occurred with tires with six months/1400 miles on them. The Stick-E 2.1 on the front wheel has twice that, but since it was never rotated has only about 25% tread wear, which makes me suspect this problem may be related to tread wear. But since my ride is almost all climbing with fast descents, I'll be checking that tire carefully before each ride. Probably not a bad idea for anyone riding Stan's Nevegals with a few miles on them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
This summer I decided to try the Nevegals after using the Panaracer Fire XC Pro UST tires for several years. I used Stan's in the Fire XC tires without problems for years. Knowing that Kenda did not approve of the of Stans in their tires I decided not to use Stans in the Nevegals. Well, after about 350 miles, as I was riding I started to notice something funny about the rear tire. I stopped and looked and there was a HUGE bubble on the tire. When I got home I called Kenda and told them about the problem. They asked if I was using Stan's, I told them I wasn't. They then said I would need to e-mail them a picture of the tire. Did that. They replied and said yes, there is a problem, but that it appears that I got plenty of use out of it. I told them that I would get around 2,000 miles on my Panaracers before I would change tires and that the Nevegal only had 350 miles. The guy said OK, we will send out a replacement. Got the new tire put it on and rode about 200 miles and had the same problem. I am an easy rider. I weigh about 160 pounds and do not do any crazy things, just smooth trail riding. After that, I didn't even bother calling Kenda and reporting it, I just went out and picked up a pair of WTB Wierwolf UST tires. These WTB tires have about 1,000 miles on them and still look really really great. I vowed never to buy Kenda tires again after this experience. There must be something with the Kendas because I do see this complaint fairly often. After I removed the tire I could see that the casing inside had separated.

Kevin

·
bump and grind
707 Posts
Hmm. Interesting that your kendas failed without stans.

I just noticed a "tumor" on my rear UST nevegal this morning. I've used stans on the tire. The front is ok. I thought it was the dreaded stansxkenda issue. I guess its now really just a kenda issue. I'll move on to another tire brand this time.

Do contis have issues with stans?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I ran stans in my nevegals (2.1 stick-e) for a year with zero problems.

I still have stans in my kenda karma 2.0 DTC tires on the old bike and have been using it in them for about 3 years. No issues

I have NEVER gotten a flat tire since I switched to Stans. EVER.

When I got my most recent tires, I wanted to try them out quickly so I threw them on with tubes and got a puncture flat during the first ride :madman: Why did I not use Stans? Put in stans before the second ride and no flats since... That was a year-and-a-half ago...

Stans rules... Unless you like to change your tires often, then it's debatable whether or not worth the hassle.

But the hassle of initial setup is not near the hassle of flats on the trail...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sounds like a sporatic Kenda problem - possibly variables in the manufacturing process coupled with the fact that there are various compounds attached to probably a common carcass (Dual Tread Compound and Stick-E). Sounds like separation between the carcass and the tread "layer". Good to know. There are several similar designs out there - may be time to consider something else. Too bad cause I love my Neve's!

·
Registered
119 Posts
The knobs on my Nevegal DTC have ripped off down to the casing after about 6 months. I've seen alot of pictures of nevegals with similar issues. My Bluegroove Stick E is still looking good (front tire). I really wanted the nevegal to work. It was a great tire while it lasted, but I won't be getting another.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you're right. Since people's experiences with Nevegals have been so wildly divergent, I wonder if it was a problem with a specific manufacturing run? Two of the three Nevegals I purchased in early 2006 developed bumps. They were Stick-E's. Since my rear tire was nearing the end of the road, I'd already purchased a replacement, this time a DTC. Will be interesting to see how it fairs. They are great tires otherwise--my new rear tire, with Stan's, is holding air like it has a tube. I checked it yesterday before my ride and it was down 1 psi in a week.

·
Registered
935 Posts
theblackbear said:
I think you're right. Since people's experiences with Nevegals have been so wildly divergent, I wonder if it was a problem with a specific manufacturing run? Two of the three Nevegals I purchased in early 2006 developed bumps. They were Stick-E's. Since my rear tire was nearing the end of the road, I'd already purchased a replacement, this time a DTC. Will be interesting to see how it fairs. They are great tires otherwise--my new rear tire, with Stan's, is holding air like it has a tube. I checked it yesterday before my ride and it was down 1 psi in a week.
The problem is the tires, not Stan's. Kenda made a batch of bad tires but has not been honest about this with the customers (you & me & many others).

I posted a message with pics of bubbled and knobs gone Kendas.

Problem is always worse on rear.

I never did have one of these tires suddenly fail.

Best wishes,
Terry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Terry,

That's the scary part. The last failure popped like a balloon. The inner casing "bubbled" through a split at the edge of the tread and exploded. Fortunately I wasn't tearing downhill at the time.

~ Blacky

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
theblackbear said:
There was a bad batch of Nevegals and Kenda did replace the problem tires if the tires had not been used with a sealant (they state in their catalog and web site that the use of liquid sealants void any warranty).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.