Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone compared any of the following combos to determine the optimal performance (i.e. maximize traction while minimizing weight/rolling resistance) on dry, sandy trails with rocks/gravel:

Combo #1 - SB8 2.1 Front; SB8 2.1 - Rear
Combo #2 - SB8 2.3 Front; SB8 2.3 Rear
Combo #3 - SB8 2.3 Front; SB8 2.1 Rear
Combo #4 - Nevegal 2.1 Front; SB8 2.1 Rear

What is your vote? Thanks!

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
thedog said:
Has anyone compared any of the following combos to determine the optimal performance (i.e. maximize traction while minimizing weight/rolling resistance) on dry, sandy trails with rocks/gravel:

Combo #1 - SB8 2.1 Front; SB8 2.1 - Rear
Combo #2 - SB8 2.3 Front; SB8 2.3 Rear
Combo #3 - SB8 2.3 Front; SB8 2.1 Rear
Combo #4 - Nevegal 2.1 Front; SB8 2.1 Rear

What is your vote? Thanks!
More grip: #3
less RR: #1

The SB8 is stellar on sand over hardpack.:thumbsup:

P

·
Registered
143 Posts
currently I run #4, but I have thought about running a 2.3/2.1 SB8 or a 2.1 Nev front and rear. The SB8 is a great tire with grip for such little knob, but I just love looking over my front tire and seeing the beefy Nevegal....

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've run #3 and 4 and am satisfied with the performance.

Not sure I could ever get myself to put a SB8 on the front in any conditions other than reasonably smooth hardpack.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Riding Style Matters

I've run 2.0 Hutchinson Python 2's, 2.1/2.3 Small Block 8's, 2.1 Mavic CrossMarks, and the regular 2.1 Nevegal interchangably now on my Santacruz Blur Classic for the last 3 years.

I went with your combination #3 for my ride out to Utah/Colorado, and found it to be a great combination for hardpack, sand, and even some of the loose terrain. My rear tire @ 2.1 pinch flatted on Porcupine Rim on the last day of our event, but that was due to pilot error mostly (thought I could bunny hop a ledge but ended short and came down on the lip with the tire). The front tire @ 2.3 was great for just about everything we came across, and only opted to swap it out when we went to Slick Rock based on advice from a local rider.

Regardless of tire choice (and ruling out truly poorly engineered tires), your riding style will dictact what works best for you. I used to sit on my saddle and steer the bike around corners with very little weight on my front tire. In those days, my tire choice would have a huge impact on grip and the likelyhood of me washing out.

Recently, I've been making a concious effort to distribute my weight differently based on the corner, traction, and terrian while leaning the bike instead of leaning my body, which has not only improved my riding, but opened the door to lighter, less knobby, faster rolling tires.

Don't get me wrong, a traditional Nevegal will win a traction war with a Small Block 8, but I've found that if you adjust your riding style, you can get similar performance out of both without the tradeoffs of weight and rolling resistance.

Everyone is different mind you, just something to think about. Personally, I've settled on the 2.1 Small Block 8's for just about everything, and only ever swap the front tire if I know the terrain is going to affect my fun factor with my normal setup.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
ryanstrive said:
Regardless of tire choice (and ruling out truly poorly engineered tires), your riding style will dictact what works best for you. I used to sit on my saddle and steer the bike around corners with very little weight on my front tire. In those days, my tire choice would have a huge impact on grip and the likelyhood of me washing out.
Couldn't agree more. Bring your skills. :thumbsup:

P

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.