Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an almost new (ridden only 3 or 4 times) set of tires, one Kenda Nevegal and one Blue Groove. Both are 2.5 and both are wire bead. I believe they came from a Giant Anthem...

So I am not sure which would be better up front and on the back!!!

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
You can get trouble with large volume 2.1 tires on the Anthem so I doubt they came from there. The Nev is a good front or back tire but I'd never put a BG on the back, the only manufacturer that actually specs the combo puts the BG on the front.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, it was a Reign. Ok, i will go with the Nevegal on the rear and see how it goes, got the pair for ¥3000, so pretty happy and don't mind changing in the not too distant future if the bluegroove sucks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
i would use the nevegal front and blue grove rear.
the tire with more grip should be in the front cause you need there the extra grip. the rear tire can be chosen with less grip/less rolling resistance.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
henryhb said:
the tire with more grip should be in the front cause you need there the extra grip. the rear tire can be chosen with less grip/less rolling resistance.
Wow, way to throw a spanner in the works....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
henryhb knows what he's talking about. When pros and knowledgeable riders mix & match tires, they always put the tire with the best cornering performance up front, and the tire with the least rolling resistance on the rear. I haven't ridden the Blue Groove, so I can't comment on that tire. But it's kinda hard to recover when your front washes out on you.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
bholwell said:
henryhb knows what he's talking about. When pros and knowledgeable riders mix & match tires, they always put the tire with the best cornering performance up front, and the tire with the least rolling resistance on the rear. I haven't ridden the Blue Groove, so I can't comment on that tire. But it's kinda hard to recover when your front washes out on you.
The Blue Groove has more than enough grip for the front, the Nevegal is a slightly faster tire, most riders put faster better rolling tires on the back and if you do find a problem with the combo you can just swap them around.

What compound have you got, if they're both DTC then it doesn't matter but put the better gripping Stick-E compound on the front if they're different.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
bholwell said:
That's the point - the BG has better cornering performance than the Nev (except when it's really loose), otherwise why do you think we would all recommend the BG up front, because we like to crash?

Since the OP has both tires, they can test both tires on front and rear and decide for themselves anyway.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
henryhb said:
Agreed. I have ridden both. The BG has less grip and less rolling resistance; the only place I like it is on hardpack, and the only wheel I would run it on is the back.

·
EDR
10,585 Posts
The Blue Groove has more than enough grip for the front, the Nevegal is a slightly faster tire, - EGF168
I have ridden both. The BG has less grip and less rolling resistance; - watermoccasin
Completely contradicting statements, if I'm reading this right. How's the OP supposed to get anything from this if we can't even agree what tire 'rolls' better?

OP, sounds like a crap-shoot to me. Try it both ways. I've used the Nev in the rear here on my loose granite over hard pack rocky strewn trails. It's a nice rear tire but I've never tried a BG.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.