Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference of these two types?

For what use would you recommend each type?

Will run one of these on a new Titus ML for aggressive/technical XC and some light FR/DH.

Some of the trails here are quite rooty and rocky.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Mike

·
Registered
278 Posts
combo?

I would say the stick-e would hook up better on roots and rocks.....I run a 2.5 stick-e on the front and just went to a 2.35 DTC on the rear, that might not be a bad combo for you. The DTC is a little faster rolling as the inside knobs are much harder and will last longer, with the outside knobs are softer compound like what's on the stick-e.

Either way , Nev's are my favorite tire.....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.

I have the option of either running 2.35" Nevegals DTC front and back.... or.... 2.35" Nevegal DTC back and 2.35" Blue Groove Stick-E front... (don't ask why...)

Which option do you think I should go for ?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
278 Posts
mikecy said:
Thanks for the input.

I have the option of either running 2.35" Nevegals DTC front and back.... or.... 2.35" Nevegal DTC back and 2.35" Blue Groove Stick-E front... (don't ask why...)

Which option do you think I should go for ?

Thanks

Mike
I would do the 2nd....based on the type of riding you said you were doing....stick=e up front would be nice....

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
artnshel said:
I like the BG more as a front but it's considered a hardpack tire while the Nev is for loose. I like the BG more on either anyway. I'd get the DTC, the stickE's are sloooow.
The sticky BG is great for the front - sticks to wet or dry roots/rocks, and rolls fine. I have found a Nev better for the front only in very loose conditions.

·
Registered
23,945 Posts
I run both Nevegals front and rear, DTC rear, Stick-E front. I have to traverse roads sometimes and that's really why I wanted to have the DTC, since it has slightly harder centre compound which will help reduce wear and decrease rolling resistance. I run 1.95R & 2.1F. I don';t find that even doing road the Stick-E on the front doesn't seem to have any serious wear after 600+ miles, but definitely the rear has quite a bit of wear and if it was Stick-E it would prob be done for by now. If I was riding strictly off-road I would prob run Stick-E all round.

·
Time is not a road.
4,141 Posts
Definitely get the DTC...the Sticky is ok up front, but in the back it will be slow and wear quickly. The BG is good for the front.

Either way, Kenda is old news...Get Schwalbe tires. They roll better.

·
Registered
23,945 Posts
But do they provide as much traction?? The Nevegals surprised the crap out of me the way they go up stuff, especially loose rock or dirt.

chad1433 said:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anybody running 2.1 rear and 2.35 front Nevegals? Looking for a new tire for CO front range )loose and rocky) to replace 2.35 Maxxis Minions (sweet downhill tire, but slow and heavy all around). Want to get around on the trails a bit quicker but not lose much on the downhill.

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
arborider said:
Anybody running 2.1 rear and 2.35 front Nevegals? Looking for a new tire for CO front range )loose and rocky) to replace 2.35 Maxxis Minions (sweet downhill tire, but slow and heavy all around). Want to get around on the trails a bit quicker but not lose much on the downhill.
I was running that combo here in the desert SW until a few weeks ago (killer deal on IRC Trailbears so I put a 2.25 on the rear) The 2.35 Nev remains.

The Nev as a rear tire works great for me on rocky, hardpack terrain. Climbs great on that stuff. The front is good also but I really want to try a BG up front. Seems like it may be better for my loose over hardpack stuff. Who knows????

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
I was running that combo here in the desert SW until a few weeks ago (killer deal on IRC Trailbears so I put a 2.25 on the rear) The 2.35 Nev remains.

The Nev as a rear tire works great for me on rocky, hardpack terrain. Climbs great on that stuff. The front is good also but I really want to try a BG up front. Seems like it may be better for my loose over hardpack stuff. Who knows????
I've had a few weeks on the BG 2.35 Stick-E (front) in the desert NW. Awesome tire but not a whole lot of transition between sticking on a loose sandy over hardpack corner and breaking loose (I've found myself on the ground, hand still on handlebars, still clipped in, wondering "WTF just happened" and checking my front tire to see if it all of a sudden lost air). Having said that, it's still better than the Mutano 2.4's I was running for all around riding even if the Mutano's are better at letting you know when it's about to break loose (I can lean the BG's over more in a corner than the Mutanos before it slides).
I'm currently running a Nev 2.35 Stick-E in the back and I do have to agree that it takes a bit of energy to spin these suckers up to speed and I find myself using 1 gear lower. But they sure stick when the trail points down (hard, loose, loamy, rocky, rooty, it doesn't seem to matter to these tires). I still haven't decided on whether I'm going to keep it as a rear tire or try the DTC version (I want to give it a couple of weeks of riding to see if I get used to the "spinning a DH tire" feeling)... ;)
The weights are between 720 and 725 for both the Nev and BG 2.35 Stick-E's kevlar (which isn't bad for the type of tires these are).

·
Time is not a road.
4,141 Posts
chad1433 said:
Definitely get the DTC...the Sticky is ok up front, but in the back it will be slow and wear quickly. The BG is good for the front.

Traction with the ORC rear compared to the DTC is better. I'm sure the Gooey Gluey is comparable to the Sticky rubber. Traction in the corners is vastly superior on the Schwalbes - no drift at all, just power to the ground.:thumbsup: Even with conditions as loose and dry as they are right now in CO, I have not lost grip even once that I can recall. The DTC Nevegals would break away under hard pedalling. The Sticky tires never broke away, they're like Spiderman.

·
Banned
10,899 Posts
DTC is good on the rear if you have to pedal pavement to get to your trail, or if your trail bed is very frequently smooth rock of the "slickrock" sort.

DTC has less rolling resistance and wears slower, so for those two reasons, it's better used on the rear if you spend any time on pavement or slickrock stuff.

Stick-E in the front for sure.

Stick-E in the rear if your bike sees mainly dirt.

·
Banned
10,899 Posts
chad1433 said:

"roll better" is subjective.

Schwalbe tires are very expensive, you can get 3 or 4 Kendas for the price of a pair of Schwalbes.

To get great traction from Schwalbes you have to get the uber-Glooey compound which wears MUCH faster than Kenda Stick-E.

Schwalbes are for Ellsworth riders, in other words. ;)

or more seriously, very rich people, or people who don't spend much time riding their bikes but want optimum traction when they do ride. I wouldn't want to go through 3 sets of Schwalbes a season, but that's what I'd do if I rode them.

Schwalbes do have great tread patterns but they are plagued by expensive costs, fast wear on their soft compounds, and thin sidewalls that tear easily in rocky terrain... more easily than the Kenda XC sidewalls IMO.

·
Time is not a road.
4,141 Posts
gonzostrike said:
"roll better" is subjective.

Schwalbe tires are very expensive, you can get 3 or 4 Kendas for the price of a pair of Schwalbes.

To get great traction from Schwalbes you have to get the uber-Glooey compound which wears MUCH faster than Kenda Stick-E.

Schwalbes are for Ellsworth riders, in other words. ;)

or more seriously, very rich people, or people who don't spend much time riding their bikes but want optimum traction when they do ride. I wouldn't want to go through 3 sets of Schwalbes a season, but that's what I'd do if I rode them.

Schwalbes do have great tread patterns but they are plagued by expensive costs, fast wear on their soft compounds, and thin sidewalls that tear easily in rocky terrain... more easily than the Kenda XC sidewalls IMO.
I only found them to be about $7 more/tire, at least between the Nevegal and Big Betty. I'm running a dual compound rear tire and I find the traction to be excellent, so far. It's not Sticky rubber great, but it's better than the Nevegal DTC. I think the BB has a better tread pattern.

The Gooey Gluey does seem to wear fast - I've seen at least one GG Big Betty worn within a few months, which is why I opted for the ORC in back. I've had Sticky Kendas on the back - two, a Nevegal and a Kinetics. The Kinetics tire lasted longer than the Nevegal, four or five months. My most recent Nevegal, a DTC, lost several side knobs after only a few months of use and one trip to Moab. I've heard this complaint from other users as well.

The BB in front (Gooey Gluey) is giving me much better tracking on the loose stuff so far. I've not heard of nor seen any side wall issues, but I'm new to Schwalbe scene thus far. The line-up of tires they have looks very promising and since cost isn't that much of an issue (locally) I'll be trying some more of them in the future.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I too can get them for only several dollars more per tire (I think $5). That's a Big Betty vs. a Kenda BG. I ended up going cheaper and got the BG 2.35 stik-e up front and the NV 2.35 dtc on the back. I find the traction to be great, probably the best I've ever had. The wear on the dtc has been about average. The one thing I have had problems with is pinch flats. I was pinch flatting every day until I put downhill tubes in. I even pinch flatted the downhill tube once. I'm no clyde @ 150 lbs but I do ride in some pretty heavy New England gnarl and I tend to hammer through things vs. using finesse.

I think my next set of tires will be the Big Betty's or the Fat Alberts. I have ridden other Schwalbes in the past (when I could find them on sale or e-bay) and I really liked their traction and durabilty. They did wear quicker than I liked though. If I can figure out how not to flat the Kendas with standard tubes I'll stick with the Kendas.

·
Registered
23,945 Posts
Hum strange :confused: What tyre pressures are you running?? I'm around 190 with gear and run around 32-36 in mine and haven't had 1 pinch flat and I too am not the most "finesse" of riders. Running 1.95 & 2.1.

woodyak said:
.................The one thing I have had problems with is pinch flats. I was pinch flatting every day until I put downhill tubes in. I even pinch flatted the downhill tube once. I'm no clyde @ 150 lbs but I do ride in some pretty heavy New England gnarl and I tend to hammer through things vs. using finesse.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.