Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently riding a Kona explosif rigid singlespeed with the Kharisma ust 2.1's. Unfortunately these tires are on their way out causing me to look for some new rubber! My eyes are set on the Blue Groove 2.1 ust. Riding is pretty much hardpack(Michigan) with its share of rocks roots and some loose stuff on the climbs.

Here are the questions I have for the tire experts!

1. I am looking for a little higher volume! Do the blue groove and the kharisma share the same casing in the 2.1 ust(are they the same actual size)?

2. Do the Blue Grooves roll as nicely as the Kharisma?

3. I would hope from looking at the BG's that they would have better traction then the Kharisma! Is this the case?

4. I was hoping to gain a little size and volume(for the tire)while getting good rolling resistance with my purchase of new tires! Are there any other larger fast rolling tires you would recommend?

Other tires I am looking at are the fat albert and the albert ust's, but I have never seen them in person, just in pictures.

thanks!

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I can't say for the UST versions but the nonUST Kharisma 2.1 looks more like a 1.8 and the Blue Groove 2.1 is closer to a 2.3. As far as roll, I think it's going to depend on the compound. The soft Stick-E compound rolls slow but grips like mad. They have a DTC version now with a harder compound in the center for faster rolling and better wear. I'm not sure if the UST are available in both compounds though. Check with your favorite retailer on availability.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Im going to suggest..

J-RAD said:
I am currently riding a Kona explosif rigid singlespeed with the Kharisma ust 2.1's. Unfortunately these tires are on their way out causing me to look for some new rubber! My eyes are set on the Blue Groove 2.1 ust. Riding is pretty much hardpack(Michigan) with its share of rocks roots and some loose stuff on the climbs.

1. I am looking for a little higher volume! Do the blue groove and the kharisma share the same casing in the 2.1 ust(are they the same actual size)?

3. I would hope from looking at the BG's that they would have better traction then the Kharisma! Is this the case?

4. I was hoping to gain a little size and volume(for the tire)while getting good rolling resistance with my purchase of new tires! Are there any other larger fast rolling tires you would recommend?

Other tires I am looking at are the fat albert and the albert ust's, but I have never seen them in person, just in pictures.

thanks!
More non UST suggestions..A nokian NBX up front and a DTC 2.1 nevegal in back. Theres also a 2.25 karma out. Ive got one mounted up front but wont know till tomorrow..about how it works. Its a pretty big 2.25 though

·
That's REEAAALLLL Nice
113 Posts
Kenda Blue Groove 2.1

J-RAD said:

thanks!
I currently run a Kenda Blue Groove 2.1 (non-UST) up front and I can tell you that it is a big volume tire, grips really well on rocks, loose stuff, and better than anything, brakes really nicely (in a strait line, without skiding). Set about 28-30 psi with Stan's tubeless setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.