Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I put some kenda honey badger pro's on my guardian 2.0 and I am experiencing some rubbing on the front derailer when I'm using the lowest(smallest) gear on the crank and top 3 gears on the cassette ( 3 biggest rear sprockets). It does not rub under normal use on flatter terrain, it only rubs when under stress such as steeper climbs or when pulling wheelies. The honey badgers are 2.2" wide, I gotta say I did not expect them to rub at all when putting them on, this kind of took me by surprise. Anyone else have this issue? Am I doing something wrong? As far as I know the rear tire is on straight, and it is definitely tru, no wobbles at all. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
JJ

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry guys, I just read that again and realized how little sense it makes. It's been one of those days for me. When It first happened I thought the tire was rubbing the chain but after I looked closer it was rubbing up against the front derailer. I guess it doesn't rub after the top 3 gears because I wasn't able to get enough leverage on it to get it to tweak enough to flex that far. However it can get it to rub at any speed if I lean the bike far right. Sorry for the mix up. But any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
JJ

·
CoolArrow
2,473 Posts
Sorry I don't know the exact thread to point you to, but if you search, there's some info on this topic.

I think it's a front derailleur "thing" - the only way to mitigate this issue is to go back to a narrower tire in the rear, OR upgrade to an X7 or X9 front derailleur (OR go 1x10 ;) ) I think the way the X5 is made, there's not a way to adjust it to fit wider tires... Someone else may chime in?

·
NeedGod.com
581 Posts
They're still putting X5's on the Guardian? I thought that was something they had taken care of with the Guardian 2.0. Yep, after a quick trip to the Airborne site, looks like it's still the X5.

The X5 leaves very little room for the tire when shifted into the lowest gears. It's the way the FD is designed. Your options are to get a slim tire or change out the FD. I converted mine into a 1x9 setup and haven't looked back. Plus now I can put whatever tire I want on there.

How do you like the Honey Badger?

·
NeedGod.com
581 Posts
I just remembered that they used the X3 FD on the original Guardian. I had taken mine off so long ago, I forgot about that. According to the Airborne site, the X5 is supposed to result in increased tire clearance. I guess you reached that limit with the Honey Badger! :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys, thanks for all the usuful info. I'm going to keep looking at it and messing with it. Looks like in going to go with a x7 FD and hopefully that will fix it. I would really like to go 1x9, I love the whole idea of it, but 5he fact is that I'm a big guy and I still have a use for the granny gear when riding offroad. I'm planning on competeing. In my first xc mtb race this summer so for now I am going to go 2x9. I never use the largest chainring, even when riding the bike paths with my girlfiend or 70 year old father so i"'m gonna eliminate it. As for the honey badgers. I have to say I friggin love em. I little high on roling resistance on pavement, but awesome consisten traction on all surfaces I have run it on. I don't have a lot of miles on them. But I ran them for a couple months last summer on a diamonback overdrive I had before my guardian. Mud, rocks, wet roots, rocky single track were all no problem for the honey badgers. I'm a newer rider and they were very confidence inspiring. I would recomend them to anyone who rides more than just bike paths. Thanks again for the help and info.
JJ

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Hello all. I put some kenda honey badger pro's on my guardian 2.0 and I am experiencing some rubbing on the front derailer when I'm using the lowest(smallest) gear on the crank and top 3 gears on the cassette ( 3 biggest rear sprockets). It does not rub under normal use on flatter terrain, it only rubs when under stress such as steeper climbs or when pulling wheelies. The honey badgers are 2.2" wide, I gotta say I did not expect them to rub at all when putting them on, this kind of took me by surprise. Anyone else have this issue? Am I doing something wrong? As far as I know the rear tire is on straight, and it is definitely tru, no wobbles at all. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
JJ
Hi JJ,

The Honey Badgers are a fairly wide 2.2" tire due to the outer nobs.

The 3x9 configuration combined with 29" wheels doesn't lend itself to running wide tires like that. I would expect for it to be close to rubbing the FD. Your alternatives are to switch to a 2x10 system or a 1xXX system for extra clearance in that area if you want to run large tires.

Sorry for the trouble,

Jeremy

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi JJ,

The Honey Badgers are a fairly wide 2.2" tire due to the outer nobs.

The 3x9 configuration combined with 29" wheels doesn't lend itself to running wide tires like that. I would expect for it to be close to rubbing the FD. Your alternatives are to switch to a 2x10 system or a 1xXX system for extra clearance in that area if you want to run large tires.

Sorry for the trouble,

Jeremy
thanks for the info. for now i have put the stock block 8's back on. i would love to go 1xXX i really like the idea of the whole simplicitly of it. only problem i am struggling with is that i use my bike for both off road and I also ride bike paths with my elderly father and girlfriend. i really like having the granny gear to catapult my clyde-a$$ up steeper climbs when riding off road. if i were to try 1x, is there a chain ring that you know of that would be suitable for both? i would think i would have to start somewhere around a 28 and go from there. but any info from a more experienced rider would be more than welcome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.