Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone here compare the sidewall of the Karma to the Cortez?? I run the Karmas on my el mariachi and like them alot. Thinking about using the Cortez 2.4 in the back of my Yeti but am concerned about the sidewalls. Are they any thicker for the Cortez? The site says the knobs are taller and the weight is over 700g so I would assume so but would appreciate any real-world comparison...

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
theFuzz said:
Can anyone here compare the sidewall of the Karma to the Cortez?? I run the Karmas on my el mariachi and like them alot. Thinking about using the Cortez 2.4 in the back of my Yeti but am concerned about the sidewalls. Are they any thicker for the Cortez? The site says the knobs are taller and the weight is over 700g so I would assume so but would appreciate any real-world comparison...

Thanks.
I have the 2.4 Cortez but no experience with the Karma. I have a few Kenda folder's and they are light for a reason - thin on the rubber, everywhere.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
theFuzz said:

Thanks.
No difference. The Cortez has been dropped for '08.

·
Older than I feel
1,762 Posts
Sorry to hear they've been discontinued. I've had really good luck on the SF bay trails with the Cortez. They're light and roll really well for such a fat tire. Guess I'd better stock up...

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Sideknob said:
Lucky I got some off the 'bay the other week. They seem like an OK trail tyre.
Now, where is the Tioga love?;)

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have the 2.2 ( and 2.0) Karma and the 2.2 Cortez. The 2.2's have taller knobs than the 2.0 Karmas. The 2.2 Cortez appears to have a little more rubber on the sidewall than the 2.2 Karma but both have the same knob height.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
I use them as XC tires

theFuzz said:

Thanks.
I run the 2.4" on my Turner Flux and my hardtail. The sidewalls are thin and the 'sticky' rubber is only on the side knobs. I wouldn't put them on my Yetis' although.... One of our riders has it on his. So... it could work and they're a bargin now on Jenson USA..

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And the search goes on...

Trying to find a large volume tire with many small nobs so it rolls a bit quicker.
Have been using a weirwolf LT and it works OK, but its getting worn..

Front tire is a big sticky pig (Prowler MX) and using a nevegal in back felt like I was dragging a body behind me... This was climbing up Javelina/Mormon. I've never ridden up national so I tend to believe I can get away with a non-DH tire in back.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
theFuzz said:
...large volume tire with many small nobs so it rolls a bit quicker.
Have you looked at the Kenda Small Block 8? Sounds very similiar to what you've described.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,426 Posts
EDDIE JONES said:
Now, where is the Tioga love?;)

:p

I haven't forsaken them altogether - but being the tyre ho I am I wanted to try the Cortez as it seemed to get a good rap. And they do seem like a good trail tyre.

Alas, they would not seal up with ghetto tubeless, so I'm running my skinny Mibros ghetto.

I might grab some Extreme XC's from Chain Reaction and try those with ghetto. The LBS just can't seem to get Tiogas at the mo.

In the ghetto
In the ghettooooo....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts