Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oops: I put Blue Groove in the title, but I'm really more interested in info on the Nevegal, run as a rear tire. thx
------------------

Has anyone had much time on the 2.35 DTC Neve? I am interested in comparisons against the Stick-E rubber version in the area of grip/performance and durability.

I love my Neve, but it's dying quickly, as I have to do pavement miles to & from the trailhead.
I would like a little more durability, and I was about to switch to a 2.35 Minion 60a until I heard that the 2.35 DTC Nevegal was available.

Are the outer knobs on the DTC the same compound as Stick-E?

thx
-rob in NY

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
rpet said:
Oops: I put Blue Groove in the title, but I'm really more interested in info on the Nevegal, run as a rear tire. thx
------------------

Has anyone had much time on the 2.35 DTC Neve? I am interested in comparisons against the Stick-E rubber version in the area of grip/performance and durability.

I love my Neve, but it's dying quickly, as I have a to do pavement miles to & from the trailhead.
I would like a little more durability, and I was about to switch to a 2.35 Minion 60a until I heard that the 2.35 DTC Nevegal was available.

Are the outer knobs on the DTC the same compound as Stick-E?

thx
-rob in NY
Yeah, outer knobs are Stick-E for cornering, center knobs are DTC for longer wear. Straight-line traction isn't as good, but they should last considerably longer. If you're doing some pavement miles then I think you'd be better off going with the new DTC.
Thanks
Larry

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I took my Neve stick-e off the rear because I'm not that impressed with the way the ramped knobs hook up under drive-power. I understand the benefits from reduced rolling resistance, but I find they provide noticeably reduced traction under heavy pedal effort in certain conditions. For example, they are simply terrible on snow, and there are times when they spin where a non-ramped tire would not. I have a set of stick-e Kinetic 2.6s and they do better in back, but they are pretty slow tires. I simply went back to standard rubber in the back.

I do miss the gooey, damped feel though.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
tscheezy said:
I took my Neve stick-e off the rear because I'm not that impressed with the way the ramped knobs hook up under drive-power. I understand the benefits from reduced rolling resistance, but I find they provide noticeably reduced traction under heavy pedal effort in certain conditions. For example, they are simply terrible on snow, and there are times when they spin where a non-ramped tire would not. I have a set of stick-e Kinetic 2.6s and they do better in back, but they are pretty slow tires. I simply went back to standard rubber in the back.

I do miss the gooey, damped feel though.
This is surprising to me. I just switched to a Nevegal StickE in the rear and I was really impressed with the traction under power I got. I was riding rocky, dry terrain though so it may be as simple as two very different terrains.

For me, I found it stuck like glue and I made a couple really rocky climbs that I had previously not been able to make due to spinning out. My old tire was a Schwalbe Jimmy 2.1, which is a decent rear tire but doesn't have very good traction when do climbing in loose conditions.

·
Sublime Absurdity
741 Posts
Jdub said:
This is surprising to me. I just switched to a Nevegal StickE in the rear and I was really impressed with the traction under power I got. I was riding rocky, dry terrain though so it may be as simple as two very different terrains.

For me, I found it stuck like glue and I made a couple really rocky climbs that I had previously not been able to make due to spinning out. My old tire was a Schwalbe Jimmy 2.1, which is a decent rear tire but doesn't have very good traction when do climbing in loose conditions.
I had the same experience as you, but now that I am on the 10th ride with it - it sucks bad!! It wears out way too quickly! Going back to my Weirwolf (reversed in the rear) which hook up almost was well and have minimal wear after 30+ rides...

I might try out the DTC, but the Nevegals are full price everywhere and too damn spendy to justify another test...

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
sodade said:
I had the same experience as you, but now that I am on the 10th ride with it - it sucks bad!! It wears out way too quickly! Going back to my Weirwolf (reversed in the rear) which hook up almost was well and have minimal wear after 30+ rides...

I might try out the DTC, but the Nevegals are full price everywhere and too damn spendy to justify another test...
I have heard they wear quickly. 10 rides is certainly not enough life for a tire in my opinion. I've just done one 15 mile ride with mine, so jury is still out on how much life I get out of them. I'm hoping for a couple months.

I did get the Nevegal at a good price though, check with Larry at MHC he has great prices on the Kenda tires. Also the dual tread should be out shortly, which I will probably go to when it hits the retail channels.

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Larry's a great dealer! also Universalcycles and Aebike.com have good prices on the Kendas.

-r

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.