Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of some 29er riders using 26inch tubes in their 29er rimes. I tried it to see if they stretch and they do but I am not sure of the volume. I was using bontrager XXX tubes. Anyone try this to save rotating weight?

Also how well does Kenda Small Block 8's hold up in semi-sandy conditions (very dry)? I want to use then in a 12 hour race that is usually pretty hard pack but their are some sandy spots and i don't want them to just wash out. Thanks all:D

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mtb4146 said:
I have heard of some 29er riders using 26inch tubes in their 29er rimes. I tried it to see if they stretch and they do but I am not sure of the volume. I was using bontrager XXX tubes. Anyone try this to save rotating weight?

Also how well does Kenda Small Block 8's hold up in semi-sandy conditions (very dry)? I want to use then in a 12 hour race that is usually pretty hard pack but their are some sandy spots and i don't want them to just wash out. Thanks all:D
I have found the XXX tubes to work well in 29er tires. It seems like the thinner (wall, not width) tubes expand better than the "standard" weight tubes.

The SB8 should work fine for those conditions.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I don't think you'll ever save enough with with 26er tubes to make it worth it. Maybe that's just me though.

The SB8 is not bad for hardpack. Not the best in sand but it'd probably do well enough that if you're experienced enough to ride a 12 hr race you can handle whatever it's going to do in the sand and still benefit from it's performance on hardpack.

I just had a race with similar conditions, mostly hardpack with some sandy spots and it did fine in the sand. A little squirrely when it got deep but never washed out on me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.