Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes,

I have talked to the guys at cyclecomponents regarding the Kenda Tyre. Apparently they have their suppliers (distributors/importers/manufacturers) update thier own products in their e-catalog. The Kendas have been "any week now" for some time.

BTW cyclecomponents have a VERY good 29er product catalog (tyres, tubes, frames, forks), the best I know in Europe. Prices are reasonable, but since they don't have stocks lead times can sometimes be annoying.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
This is the pic Cyclecomponents provides.
Kenda USA confirms "L3R PRO". But Stick-E rubber? Kenda doesn't say that, so provided pic may be a 26" one. I'd love sticky rubber, as I plan on using the Karma as a front mostly, and a Stan's Velcrow on the rear. Stan's design looks faster, but less grippy, not sure how much tubeless will help with grip.

Note how http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/crosscountry.html gives a 600g weight, while first specimens in AU were 515g for the 2.2" labeled tire, although it's reportedly skinny (how skinny?). The Kenda catalogue the friendly asians showed me did list a low 500's weight.
Anyone heard anything about a 2.0" version? Or has that just been mentionned somewhere because the 2.2" is skinny in reality?

Attachments

·
SALSAFIED endurance racer
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cloxxki said:
This is the pic Cyclecomponents provides.
Kenda USA confirms "L3R PRO". But Stick-E rubber? Kenda doesn't say that, so provided pic may be a 26" one. I'd love sticky rubber, as I plan on using the Karma as a front mostly, and a Stan's Velcrow on the rear. Stan's design looks faster, but less grippy, not sure how much tubeless will help with grip.

Note how http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/crosscountry.html gives a 600g weight, while first specimens in AU were 515g for the 2.2" labeled tire, although it's reportedly skinny (how skinny?). The Kenda catalogue the friendly asians showed me did list a low 500's weight.
Anyone heard anything about a 2.0" version? Or has that just been mentionned somewhere because the 2.2" is skinny in reality?
But when you look ecactlly at the pic you'll see that it says 26 x 2,2 so its NOT the original pic but i want it in 29" and with 515 gram :cool:

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Ok, so no Stick-E rubber, bummer.
Reports say the tire IS 515g, but not a worthy 2.2".
As long as it rolls really fast, I'll forgive it and even run 2 of them till I get some Stan's Velcrows to try. I need some pure speed, my XR's offer me more grip than I can find a use for on dry courses.

·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cloxxki said:
Ok, so no Stick-E rubber, bummer.
Reports say the tire IS 515g, but not a worthy 2.2".
As long as it rolls really fast, I'll forgive it and even run 2 of them till I get some Stan's Velcrows to try. I need some pure speed, my XR's offer me more grip than I can find a use for on dry courses.
Yeah and mikec said that they are really good allround tires - and they are even lighter than the new 1,8" XR and they are 2" so i want them .... but nowone hast them in stock - even speedgoat or no other shop is able ship them or does anyone know a shop ??? :confused:

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
They're brand new. Looks like they were first put on a ship to Australia that distributor's larger order, and they may or may not be on it;s way to Europe. Knowing European distributors (and having been one), they won't bother to import the tire because they're sure it won't sell, even if people bug them about it. I hope I'm wrong.
It's hard to get good stuff in Europe. Big advantage : not one huge distributor like in the USA, but often a distributor per small country, trying to make economical orders once in a while, using a trimmed down product range.

I bought my Kenda Klaw tires in the USA. Same for my folding WTB's. My IRC Notos.

·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cloxxki said:
They're brand new. Looks like they were first put on a ship to Australia that distributor's larger order, and they may or may not be on it;s way to Europe. Knowing European distributors (and having been one), they won't bother to import the tire because they're sure it won't sell, even if people bug them about it. I hope I'm wrong.
It's hard to get good stuff in Europe. Big advantage : not one huge distributor like in the USA, but often a distributor per small country, trying to make economical orders once in a while, using a trimmed down product range.

I bought my Kenda Klaw tires in the USA. Same for my folding WTB's. My IRC Notos.
Yeah I talked to the german distributor and he said he has to take 1000 tires to make money and he'll never sell them ... do you know the weight of the Klaw tires ???

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Clawas are well under 700g most of the time I heard. Mine are very early ones, since there ha been a slight spec change I think. I won't use them again unless there's a lot of mud and steeping climbing/descending to do. Excessive grip/traction for most of my riding, slow rolling.

If Kenda wants to sell some tires in Europe they'll have to set up a European warehouse that imports for all European countries. Same for Maxxis, that's a mess too. Haven't tried finding the Ignitor 29" yet, but might want one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
All the stuff...

... that cyclecomponents.com have in their catalog is usually orderable. New products, like the Karmas, are put up as "temporarily out of stock" until the supplier can promise a lead time. I asked them for the Karma and they listed it, now it's up to their supplier to actually get hold of some. They will come. The Vel-Crows will be there too. I asked, but their NoTubes supplier did not have it in their lists yet (not surprising since it's still a prototype).

Support cyclecomponents, they support us. They are nice people too, and - no I'm not a partner or sponsored by them ;).

·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know I also asked them for the Karma and due to me they have the IRC Mythos CX 700 x 42 now in their shop - I ordered 4 of them they really rock !!! ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good!

Thank's Realbiker, I saw those Mythos. I must try them, they are cheap too. Do you know their real width? Sounds like a real good summer tyre for my training cross/MTB-hybrid.

·
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
edicviz said:
Thank's Realbiker, I saw those Mythos. I must try them, they are cheap too. Do you know their real width? Sounds like a real good summer tyre for my training cross/MTB-hybrid.
I remember that mine a measured with 41 mm but they are really fast with only 520 gramm - espacially on fast terrain, mud and in trails they are nearly as good as a 2,1" tire only. The only problem are really fast fireroad downhills - I'll do half of the racingseason on this tire and some friends of me did already do some races (24 hour, ..) and also Nat Ross races them nearly all the time - just look a the pics ... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.