Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks, whose in for this? May be the only one of the season for me...Thought I'd start this as they just posted the course map. Umm, looks just a tad similar to last year except for swapping Quarry for Lora's run...

Attachments

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
That spot where it says "NOT all the way down like last year" is that the descent where the mattress is strapped to the tree? :confused:

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I'm not sure if I will do this one or not. I tend to get annoyed by that big climb.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think many of us are with you there Ryan. Unfortunately, the loose rocks on the top half make it leave a lot to be desired. Not to mention the length of it too.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
jrastories said:
After braking my chain on this course last year and after destroying my hub and hanger on my bike at buckwallow I am definitely looking forward to some redemption on this course.
I've never done particularly well at Kelso, and I don't really expect that I would find any redemption this year. I guess I'll take it one race at a time and see how the CDMBR goes first.

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is a must race for me, save any new baby shenanigans that may directly conflict with this event (our due date is days after race day).

Kelso is home to my first real trail ride back in 2005 when I returned to cycling after a 10 year hiatus, it was the host to my first individual race in Try-An-Ocup in 2008, and it was my first dry effort in Expert in 2009 (I'm not counting Mountainview; what a wet and awful day that was!).

Call me crazy but I sorta like the first climb; am I alone on this one?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The big climbs sucks, but is kind of awesome at the same time. You just have to focus on traction at the loose part in the last stretch and your good to go. Once on top, there is little climbing so its a little forgiving when it comes to recovering from the climb.

Kelso 2008 with that epic heat, was my best OCUP ever.

·
Registered
185 Posts
ryanstrive said:
This is a must race for me, save any new baby shenanigans that may directly conflict with this event (our due date is days after race day).

Kelso is home to my first real trail ride back in 2005 when I returned to cycling after a 10 year hiatus, it was the host to my first individual race in Try-An-Ocup in 2008, and it was my first dry effort in Expert in 2009 (I'm not counting Mountainview; what a wet and awful day that was!).

You're not alone. I like the first climb. (The crashing, flatting and then flatting again from last year, I can do without.)

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
ryanstrive said:
I've had mixed luck with Kelso. Two years ago, I flatted my front on the last lap and ran out the last 4km (and didn't even finish last, :eek: ). Last year was better but I was soooo slow.

I don't know if it's even possible but I want to set as my goal to ride the starting climb on each lap. We'll see... :skep:

·
That's not a W
457 Posts
garage monster said:
I don't know if it's even possible but I want to set as my goal to ride the starting climb on each lap. We'll see... :skep:
Well, that answers the question I had. I was curious if singlespeeders typically ride this impressive sounding climb (never been to Kelso). If garage monster says something like this, I know I'm walking.

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
jrastories said:
I acctually like the climb at the start it is the flat open part at the top where everybody just hammers and pulls away from me that I don't like.
Ha! I get screwed on the climb AND the flats. Can't ride the climb; get left behind on the flats. Sure, I could change my gearing, but I'm against that in principle. Run what you brung!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been looking forward to this one for awhile now. Kelso has always been one of my favorite places to race although I too get mixed results there. I didn't buy a UCI license this year so I am just gonna get a one-day and race in Sport. For those having traction problems on the loose rocks at the top of the first climb, just get yourself some wide tires (2.25") and run low pressures with either Stans sealant or a good latex tube like the Michelin one. See ya there.....

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
VVagabond said:
I was curious if singlespeeders typically ride this impressive sounding climb (never been to Kelso). If garage monster says something like this, I know I'm walking.
Some of them ride it (the guys that actually podium) but it's always been just outside my ability to ride it all three laps. I rode up it on my Remedy at the first Super D and was amazed how easy it was with granny - it's been so long since I've used one! :D

·
Loving Life
354 Posts
wooo, I've been looking forward to this one all year! Im a huge fane of the long drueling climb and the long fast sections of DT. Since it's my training place as it so close to home, the ST won't actually be a weakness for me in this race. Finally since Im slower then slow in the ST at the other races.

Now I just need to hope for alot of heat and humidity...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Kelso has always been good for me. I don't mind the climbs too much. Once you are up them, then you've got lots of time to recover. Love the rocky singletrack in there unfortunately there is only so much and we usually end up riding virtually the same course in one direction or another.

·
Registered
89 Posts
3 lap preride

Just did 3 laps of the course this morning, similar to last year wit ha couple of changes. The most noticable is the downhill towards the end where you used to go passed the mattress strapped to the tree. You go about halfway down (before the mattress used to be) & turn a sharp left back up the trail probably save a good 1 to 2 minutes of climbing each lap. The course was in great shape & a little confusing in the field area because of the lack of the small blue signs telling you which direction to follow.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts