Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any tricks? I went a night ride tonight and my body was fine, but my toes froze. I wore two pairs of sock but it seems like the wind cuts right through cotton socks. Maybe there's nylon or synthetic socks to help protect against the wind??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,039 Posts
bank5 said:
Does anyone have any tricks? I went a night ride tonight and my body was fine, but my toes froze. I wore two pairs of sock but it seems like the wind cuts right through cotton socks. Maybe there's nylon or synthetic socks to help protect against the wind??
toe warmers that go over the shoe; basically booties. That way you don't have to wash them after every ride too. Going too thick with socks will decrease circulation in your feet and actually make the problem worse

Also, regardless of the weather I would recommend ditching the cotton socks. Cotton sucks for athletics because it absorbs sweat. Wool or a synthetic wicking sock will keep your feet drier which will also keep them feeling warmer in the winter and cooler and less smelly in the summer

edit: I found these and these
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
boomn said:
toe warmers that go over the shoe; basically booties. That way you don't have to wash them after every ride too. Going too thick with socks will decrease circulation in your feet and actually make the problem worse

Also, regardless of the weather I would recommend ditching the cotton socks. Cotton sucks for athletics because it absorbs sweat. Wool or a synthetic wicking sock will keep your feet drier which will also keep them feeling warmer in the winter and cooler and less smelly in the summer

edit: I found these and these
Perfect, thanks!
 

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
Joined
·
1,138 Posts
I rode last night and my toes were freezing (forgot my shoe covers)... so when the group stopped I swung each leg back and forth soccer style for a couple of minutes and it forced some blood down into my feet. It wasn't "warm", but it definitely helped ease the freezing sensation. Also, make sure your shoes are fairly loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
2 pairs of socks is a no-no. You can wear sock liners and socks, but avoid 2 pairs of socks. Also, as someone mentioned, cotton socks are bad for biking (or any athletic activity for that matter). Find some synthetic or wool/merino wool socks. I have a lot of Smart Wool ones, plus a pair of Pearl Izumi ones that I really like.

Regarding the wind cutting through, are you riding clipless? If so, you could invest in a pair of booties. Shimano also makes Gore Tex shoes, pricey, but I've heard they're super warm. If you ride flats, I'd suggest getting a shoe/boot with Gore Tex or something similar (eVent, Keen-Dry, etc). Do not do the plastic bag trick someone suggested, that'll just trap sweat inside which will make your feet colder and increase the risk of both blisters and foot fungus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,532 Posts
I just got pair of Shimano MW80s, a size larger than my summer shoes. I've had them out in low 20s. Even with a heavy sock, the tootsies get cold in about 45 minutes. Today I tried little toe warmers, the kind that you stick onto your sock. They seemed to help a bit, but my toes weren't exactly toasty. When I took them off about 2 hrs later, they weren't warm. Put them on the porch and they warmed up. Maybe they were oxygen deprived while inside the shoes.

Our man from Alaska, Sean Salach says Lakes are the warmest clipless boots.
 

·
All fat, all the time.
Joined
·
9,378 Posts
I have a couple rides in so far with a pair of Lake boots. All the difference in the world.
Last winter I tried the normal summer shoes + trying to cover up the vent holes...didn't work...cold-ass toes.
Proper winter boots are the way to go, & a good pair of socks (just 1 pair).
 

·
WooHoo Biking!!!!
Joined
·
205 Posts
Ditto on the Lake shoes. I have had them for the past three years and they are the best bicycling equipment I have ever purchased. Expensive, but worth the cost.

Shark said:
I have a couple rides in so far with a pair of Lake boots. All the difference in the world.
Last winter I tried the normal summer shoes + trying to cover up the vent holes...didn't work...cold-ass toes.
Proper winter boots are the way to go, & a good pair of socks (just 1 pair).
 

·
is buachail foighneach me
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
All the advice so far is definitely good. Lake shoes and synthetic socks being the best of them. If you find your feet getting cold even still, get off and jog with your bike for a couple hundred yards. Running sends more blood to your toes than riding does, and will warm them right up.
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,389 Posts
Straz85 said:
Do not do the plastic bag trick someone suggested, that'll just trap sweat inside which will make your feet colder and increase the risk of both blisters and foot fungus.
Although I didn't see it suggested, it works much better than you think. Many a time I've found myself with my usual shoes (summer style with mesh vents) and regular socks and been much more comfortable by grabbing a bit of plastic and lining the front of the shoe/sock interface. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your viewpoint) there's always some bit of plastic around.

When I am prepared for cooler weather (low 40s/high 30s is about as low as I'm interested in, though) I still use my usual shoes, but use a pair of neoprene socks with a thin wool liner...very comfy.
 

·
Maaaaan
Joined
·
4,259 Posts
Down to around 40 deg, I like Wigwam, Marino wool hikers.
Even in my standard ventilated shoes, my feet are acceptable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
Ride year round

In New England, down to ten degrees, and the only way I keep my feet warm is with merino wool socks and chemical heat paks. A tip. Since the heat paks work only in an O2 atmosphere you need to open and let the packs stand for a few minutes before putting them in your shoes. Tried booties. plastic bags etc with no success. jim
 

·
on my 3rd wind...
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
Thick wool socks and flat pedal on 5.10 is the only setup keeps my toes from freezing. Shimano MW80 works well until temp falls below 20 deg then my toes start to tingle.
 

·
Drinking the Slick_Juice
Joined
·
1,809 Posts
my feet sweat in boots and shoes all day but at night my feet are freezing, must have poor circulation
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
I have a pair of old mtb shoes that I duct taped the hell out of. Works good and looks sweeeeeeeet. Those, booties, and smart wool socks.
 

·
mtbr member extraordinair
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
Use 1 pair of your regular socks (or wool socks). Put a plastic bag over your socked foot, and then put your shoes on. Bread sacks work really well for this. Sure it will keep moisture in, but more importantly it will keep the wind and water out. Its ghetto, but it really works. Don't knock it until you have tried it.
 

·
Underskilled
Joined
·
4,646 Posts
Little bit of nichrome wire, some copper leads and a battery pack, problem solved.

deep heat increases circulation to the feet as well.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top