Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Burley Solo for my daughter. I did several gentle rides on pavement and smooth paths this summer and found that my knobbie tires kick up alot of dirt which somehow ends up on her or in the cockpit of the trailer. I switched out the knobbies on my hardtail for some road slicks, and it seems to have solved the problem... but next season, she will be developed enough to take her on some fire roads and mild single track, so the slicks won't really be an option. Has anyone found or improvised a fender to block the dirt from being kicked into the trailer for off road use?

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
Yeah, the only way to really keep the dirt down (not eliminate completely though) is to use a set of full coverage fenders. I'm using the planet bike cascadias (29", but it doesn't matter) on my trailer pulling/commuter bike.

They are rigid enough to use in limited off road situations, as much as you'd want to drag a trailer through anyway. Fenders really rock for commuting too and remove most of the excuses you'd have for riding into work.

Plum

·
Down South Yooper
1,010 Posts
With the little 4" and 6" mudflap it gets down to about the level of the hub. Like I said, it helps keep the sand and little gravel out of the chariot, but there's still a bit that makes it through, and I still have a mud line on the front of the chariot, below the leading edge.

Can't recommend the planet bike fenders enough, I'd say it'd be hard to improve upon them. Jeff Jones had some stiffeners on his site for honest to goodness off roading, but again, with the trailer behind me, I'm not downhilling with the fenders on..

Plum

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking the same thing, I'm not doing anything crazy with the trailer behind me, I'm just trying to find a bit of balance with family time and bike time, so I'll be content riding fire roads, and taking it easy on the downhill sections.

I'm going to order a set of those fenders next time I stop by my LBS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has a plastic windscreen and a mesh screen. When it's warm, we leave the plastic screen up with only the mesh screen covering the cockpit. Dirt and such seems to either filter through the screen itself, or somehow make its way up between the body of the trailer and the bottom edge of the screen.

I really didn't think anything would get in there, but sure enough, some dust and little bits of leaves, woodchips or debris seem to make its way in.

·
jalopy jockey
551 Posts
Razorfish said:
Doesn't it come with a clear plastic wind screen. Even in warm weather it's a good idea to block the wind since they're not exercising and making their own heat.
where do you live northern Alaska?

My boys regularly go on multi hour rides in 80+ degree heat and high humidity. well only one in a trailer, the other is on a TAB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.