Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding this week at the California low temperature of 45 degrees with a big north wind in my face and more than a bit of speed and my face was getting pretty cold.

This question is for those who ride in the arctic climes of the upper midwest and new England (where I fled from). What do you wear for keeping your face warm? Skiing, I've actually had my face freeze hard for a moment or two until I took action. There I wear a chamois face mask but is is a lousy solution at best.

So, what do you wear?

·
Registered
522 Posts
In very cold temps, such as 20˚ down to below zero, I'll wear a balaclava with good ski goggles. Just have to make sure everything is in the right spot and you'll stay pretty toasty. I generally have to ride in the dark during the winter too, so no help from the sun.

·
Banned
539 Posts
I have a double layered balaclava, goggles and a Lazer winter helmet. Fine down to zero, hands and feet are alot harder to keep warm.

·
turtles make me hot
11,442 Posts
When it's really cold, I wear a balaclava. When it's 28-40 degrees, I wear a beanie under my helmet and a really thin neck gaitor over my face that I breathe through.
There have been days where I wear the balaclava and the gaitor but that's much colder than you're asking about.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Usually I just suffer. But if I am feeling soft I use a buff.

Just never apply heat rub to your face, very very bad idea (At least that is what a friend told me).

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,999 Posts
Thin beanie for those temps.

Thin balaclava for significantly below freezing. Stretchy thin ones can be used as neck gaiters, cover partial face, or everything but eyes. Ski helmet also helps. Ski helmet and thicker balaclavas for significantly negative F temps, some of the time when it’s -10 to -20 I cant breath air straight without a mask of some kind, but in a race or during significant exertion that goes away. Have no need for goggles, but I don’t generally ride below -20, generally, you still build heat and need a way to regulate it, so you adjust your balaclava, etc., and your face becomes your radiator.

·
RAKC Industries
3,265 Posts
45F.... skull cap, my summer helmet and a hoodie if the winds from the north are blowing.

Below that a balaclava if Im on my road bike

45-55f in the woods in a normal day is UA cold gear base layer, thin skull cap (which is usually soaked in sweat by the end of a ride), half the time Im in shorts still

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Dirt Bound
266 Posts
I've never worn a balaclava while riding. If it get's below 20F I'll either wear or pack a thin wool neck gaiter. I also don't ride in sub-zero conditions. If I did that might change things, but we don't often see those temps where I am. Sometimes I'll bring clear glasses, but I almost never wear them, unless the precip turns from fluffy/liquid to ice. That sometimes hurts the eyeballs.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,396 Posts
I ride a motorcycle to work everyday and noticed the biggest help for me was to wear a scarf on my neck, My face can take the cold better if my neck is warm.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have a beard but i just use a buff fatbiking down to 5f. Once my body temp is up i pull it down off my face. Colder i have a air hole face mask that i pull over the buff and remove that when im up to temp.

This is on the trails... out in the wind i usually pull the buff up or wear the facemask.

·
XC iconoclast
2,005 Posts
Ski mask works good, if you lengthen the helmet straps enough for it to fit comfortably. It's so warm I often take it off later, I usually use it only for downhill street rides going fast into a cold wind. Also you'll get strange looks from people thinking you are going to rob them, oh well.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,799 Posts
At 45F, I don't use anything special. Just my beard. Frankly the best reason for facial hair, IMO.

When it does get cold enough that I need to do something about it, a Buff is pretty much the most I need. For biking, if I put anything more over my face, it feels like I'm wearing a wet, frozen washcloth.

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
Hinged balaclava for cool temps. Can wear as a neck gator, chin to forehead exposed , eyes only exposed, or anywhere in between. I like Chaos CTR as they have hinged balaclavas in several different materials. They also have the "Headwall Chimney" balaclava for cold tempos that has a water/wind shell and either a wool liner, or thinsulate with fleece liner. The upper is thin fleece that works vents moisture under my helmet fairly well. When it's really freaking cold, an additional fleece cap over it make for some toasty brain cells.

On Amazon.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,799 Posts
y'all do some serious over-dressing for 45 degrees.

This is about the most I've worn. As the caption says, 1F at ride start. I wouldn't even start considering face coverage unless it was colder than that. And even then, I'd only pull my neck gaiter Buff up over my face. It'd have to be seriously cold before I grabbed an insulated balaclava.

Coldest Ride to Date. 1F at start by Nate, on Flickr

2 Buffs. 1 as a neck gaiter. The other doubled over for a skullcap. Beard for the face, and only a little bit of ice beard going. But it's enough to demonstrate that the beard does offer insulation and wind blocking. IIRC, I still sweated through that particular softshell jacket.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts