Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Keep the Yeti SB66a or sell it and buy Santa Cruz Bronson C

I am debating if I should buy new ENVE wheels for my SB66a or just sell it and buy Santa Cruz Bronson C.

SB66 is pretty well setup (Fox Float 36 Kashima (Pushed), 1x10 XTR, Hope Tech V4, dropper , etc) however.. it is heavy... Last time I weight it was 32lbs.

I haven't had chance to test ride Bronson yet, I am planing to do that next week, however am I crazy to want to sell my Yeti?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would keep the SB66. There are probably other ways to lose some weight if you really want to. You are not going to lose a ton of weight going with a carbon frame (probably 1.5lbs)
What is your full build?
Agreed, going to just carbon frame won't really save a lot.

Fork: Fox Float RC2 36 160mm
Rear Shock: RP23 Kashima
Headset: Cane Creek 110
Wheels: DT Swiss EX1750 with Trail Kink 2.4 F/R
Stem: Thomson X4 70mm
Handlebar: Easton Haven 711mm (AL)
Brakes: Hope Tech EVO V4 202mm Front, 182mm Rear
Dropper: Fox DOSS 4"
Seat: Specialized Henge Expert
Drive: GPX BB, 1x10 RaceFace Narrow/Wide 26t, 11-36t XT
Rear Derailleur: XTR-M986
Shifter: XTR-M980

Besides changing the wheels to carbon and moving to skinny rear tire, I really don't see where I can get some weight off.

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
Carbon bars could drop 100g. Not that expensive.
The Pike is about .6lbs lighter. But the 36 is really nice.
Nobby Nic 2.4 are about 750g compared to the TKs 920g. If you swapped both, thats .75 lb lighter. Tubeless can also drop weight if you haven't already.
There are lighter wheels than your DTs but you will be spending quite a bit especially if you want carbon bling.

Personally, for a Beefy, aluminum, 6" bike with a dropper, I think 32lbs is just fine.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks!

I think what I have to decide is if I am planing to stay with 26" and keep upgrading or save my money for 650 when I am ready to upgrade.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Carbon bars could drop 100g. Not that expensive.
The Pike is about .6lbs lighter. But the 36 is really nice.
Nobby Nic 2.4 are about 750g compared to the TKs 920g. If you swapped both, thats .75 lb lighter. Tubeless can also drop weight if you haven't already.
There are lighter wheels than your DTs but you will be spending quite a bit especially if you want carbon bling.

Personally, for a Beefy, aluminum, 6" bike with a dropper, I think 32lbs is just fine.
+1. I also have a SB66a and 32lb for a beefy built is not too bad.

I am also considering reducing the weight without breaking my bank, and the least expensive way is to change the tires and handlebar and that would save about 1 pound.

I have had Nobby Nic before, and I have Bontrager XR4 Team issue now which weighs about the same as NN but more durable and provides better traction.

·
Chris Bling
2,585 Posts
Thanks!

I think what I have to decide is if I am planing to stay with 26" and keep upgrading or save my money for 650 when I am ready to upgrade.
I am in the same boat. I currently have a 'fleet' of 26 in bikes in my garage and wondering if I should continue forward to move onto 650b. Logically, moving to 650b makes sense, but the amount of $ I have invested in my bikes is substantial...

Also, the SB66 was on my short lift of future bikes. So do I get another 26 or pony up to a 650b? Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Having owned many many 26" bikes a number of 29ers and now moved to 27.5. I'd say buying really expensive 26" wheels at this time is not money well spent. I'd get wider bars and lighter tires for XCish days and run the rest as it is till you're ready for a new bike. If you do go carbon 26 (frame or fork) I'd only buy close outs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Having owned many many 26" bikes a number of 29ers and now moved to 27.5. I'd say buying really expensive 26" wheels at this time is not money well spent. I'd get wider bars and lighter tires for XCish days and run the rest as it is till you're ready for a new bike. If you do go carbon 26 (frame or fork) I'd only buy close outs.
Yeah, good advice. I was ready to spend few grands on new set of carbon wheels. I should just buy new bike and sell mine.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
you could drop 700 on a set of carbon wheels from the Chinese light bicycle wheels. They get great reviews, although I have no experience with them.

·
Registered
499 Posts
26" is outdated and obselete. Get the Bronson with 650 wheels. You will be much happier and on modern equipment and geometry.Dont spend your money on 26" equipment.

In fact if you want I will take that POS SB66 of your hands.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
26" is outdated and obselete. Get the Bronson with 650 wheels. You will be much happier and on modern equipment and geometry.Dont spend your money on 26" equipment.

PM we can talk :) I am going to post it for sale soon

·
EDR
10,103 Posts

Please enlighten us all on the "modern" geometry of the 650b that he is missing with his 66.

·
Your bike sucks
2,193 Posts
Not to belabor the question but what is your driver for changing?

As part of your decision making process, you need to ask yourself what you hope to achieve.

Maybe geeky but I'd start with high level categories.. say:

• Performance Gains
• Personal Interest
• Obsolesce avoidance

Under Performance you might break down:

• Pedaling Efficiency - weight
• Suspension characteristics
• Personal geometry preferences
• Worn or underperforming components
• etc

Under interests you might have:

• Technology - Suspension (VPP), Carbon, etc
• Wheelsize
• Brand change
• New bike!
• Etc

Under Obsolesce:

• Wheelsize and related components
• Resell

Ok… that seems geeky but it could be effective.

My take -> If your SB66 is dialed, I wouldn’t expect a major performance increase unless you have something that’s specifically not working for you. If you just want to try something new (wheelsize, frame, suspension), go for it. As far as obsolesce, the resell of 26 is not so awesome and it may actually get better (or stay flat) once the 27.5 excitement dies down. I don’t see a shortage of high performing gear in 26 but you may not get the latest, bleeding edge stuff.

If alls good, then I’d find a new set of carbon hoops for the SB66 but wouldn’t break the bank on the Enve.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Please enlighten us all on the "modern" geometry of the 650b that he is missing with his 66.
Uh... I think he was being facetious as evidenced by his desire to take the outdated SB66 off his hands. Forgot the ;).

What Scott said: Don't put a ton of money into carbon 26" wheels unless you're planning on staying with that bike for a long time (Or picking up a carbon SB66 on closeout). Ride it like it is and start saving for your next dream bike.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hear you guys. I really want lighter bike. You can really feel the weight during climbing. The bike is awesome going downhill. The reason I asked about the Bronson was because Yeti hasn't come up with 650B version of SB66 as of yet and I really don't want to buy carbon sb66 frame to switch everything when seems like everyone is moving to 650B.

Here is the post by John P International Sales Manager for Yeti

http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/no-more-66-yeti-892394-3.html#post10921548

"As some other shop guys have stated in this thread, an interesting thing happened toward the end of 2013 - despite all of you guys (and us here at Yeti!) professing love for 26ers, tangible demand for that wheel size fell off a cliff. In our domestic preseason bookings, in which we literally book hundreds/thousands of bikes for shops, demand for our 26ers was almost zero. Literally, there were less than a dozen 66's on order nationwide. Yikes. Meanwhile, demand on the 75 and 575 (both 650B bikes) was off the charts."

1 - 20 of 42 Posts