Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this 29er single speed rigid bike awhile back because the LBS talked me into it as my first MTB. I do not like the aggressive geometry since I feel like I am hunched over all the time. Its a great bike for what its built for but I would like something of a more relaxed geometry that I can ride for 3 to 4 hours. I have been thinking of putting on a nice suspension fork but I am not sure if that will do the trick. People keep telling me to buy a full suspension rig with all the gears instead of upgrading this bike. I test rode a Felt Redemption and immediately fell in love. I then went to another LBS and they tried to sell my a Gary Fisher HIFI Plus which felt great also. Other bikes I tried were a GIANT TRANCE X 2. My riding will mostly be light trails long distance but I like aggressive riding sometimes. My main concern is comfortable geometry. Ive even thought of buying a Diamond Back 29er for the price. I am 6' 175 lbs 38 years old. Any suggestions?

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
treksnraleigh said:
I bought this 29er single speed rigid bike awhile back because the LBS talked me into it as my first MTB. I do not like the aggressive geometry since I feel like I am hunched over all the time. Its a great bike for what its built for but I would like something of a more relaxed geometry that I can ride for 3 to 4 hours. I have been thinking of putting on a nice suspension fork but I am not sure if that will do the trick. People keep telling me to buy a full suspension rig with all the gears instead of upgrading this bike. I test rode a Felt Redemption and immediately fell in love. I then went to another LBS and they tried to sell my a Gary Fisher HIFI Plus which felt great also. Other bikes I tried were a GIANT TRANCE X 2. My riding will mostly be light trails long distance but I like aggressive riding sometimes. My main concern is comfortable geometry. Ive even thought of buying a Diamond Back 29er for the price. I am 6' 175 lbs 38 years old. Any suggestions?
1) You can relax the geometry with a new stem by shortening the stem and increasing the stem angle up.

2) If you do light trail riding you probably don't really need a full suspension bike. 29er by nature absorb small bumps and travel fast on long flat terrain.

3) Adding a suspension fork will help your arms if you ride really rough terrain that has roots or rocks. If you want small bump help without a new fork use a fatter tire and run it at a little lower pressure.

4) Full suspension bikes are meant to be ridden off-road and over rocks and roots and steep inclines and descents. They could have more aggressive geometry than a 29er. What type of riding you plan on doing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
southern cal mountains, fireroads, some aggressive trails. I like to climb long ascents slowly. I like to ride on roads to get to the trail. comfort geometry is critical. My RALEIGH XXIX is fun but i can only ride for about an hour or two. Will spend up 2500$

·
offroader
2,190 Posts
treksnraleigh said:
southern cal mountains, fireroads, some aggressive trails. I like to climb long ascents slowly. I like to ride on roads to get to the trail. comfort geometry is critical. My RALEIGH XXIX is fun but i can only ride for about an hour or two. Will spend up 2500$
Sounds like a 29er is perfectly suited for you. You could try to relax your riding position to a more up-right position on the bike. If you're dead set on getting a full suspension bike your riding position isn't going to improve. Take a look at some XC/AM full suspension bike that aren't race oriented like the Titus Motolite, Specialized Stumpjumper, Scott Genius, Yeti 575, Ibis Mojo. These bike will give it slightly better riding position than the standard XC race bike like the Specialized Epic, Titus Racer-X, Scott Spark.

You could even look at a 29er full suspension bike like the Racer-X 29er or the Niner Bikes. Just some ideas I thought I'd throw out at you.

·
Hoosier
442 Posts
You seem pretty set on getting a new bike. Just go around to as many LBS as possible and ride every bike in your price range. Whichever feels the best for you, is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took my raleigh SS out for one last ride today. It was fun but I could not see myself riding this bike seriously. It feels too much like my nice road bike. I tried the Giant Trance X3 today which I think I will buy tomorrow. I feel more relaxed on this bike just sitting on it.Thanks for the advice but my mind is made up.

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
treksnraleigh said:
Took my raleigh SS out for one last ride today. It was fun but I could not see myself riding this bike seriously. It feels too much like my nice road bike. I tried the Giant Trance X3 today which I think I will buy tomorrow. I feel more relaxed on this bike just sitting on it.Thanks for the advice but my mind is made up.
PM sent.

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
Keep the xxix. I have one with the mary bars and a shorter stem flipped upside down. The cockpit is super comfortable now. Very relaxed riding position with excellent uphill leverage.

I have had this bike for about 3 months. So far I have gone tubeless and added the mary bars.

I have 180mm cranks and a 22t gear on the way. After I powdercoat the frame and get new brakes, I will be set until I am ready to plunk down on a quality set of rims and hubs.

I love this bike, it is making me strong physically as well as technically. Going up hills is awesome and with some patience bombing hills is also a blast (although very scary).

What is your height and bike size?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
A lot of shops do a very bad job fitting mountain bike customers.

Usually bad mountain bike fit has to do with two things, your salesman either doesn't know or doesn't care about fitting you correctly, or he applies good road fit to your mountain bike.

I had to fix a road fitted mountain bike yesterday. The bike had its handlebars 4 inches below the saddle. All the headset spacers were placed above the stem and the stem itself was flipped down.

The rider, who can descend descently, felt so scared heading downhill, she had to lower her saddle all the way so she didn't feel like she was going over the bars.

treksnraleigh said:
I bought this 29er single speed rigid bike awhile back because the LBS talked me into it as my first MTB. My main concern is comfortable geometry. I am 6' 175 lbs 38 years old. Any suggestions?
I bet you got a large, right? I looked at the geometry, and the large has a 24.4 inch effective top tube. That is an extra large for a lot of frames.

At six foot, you probably could have gotten a medium, which has a 23.6 inch top tube. But you might able to make the large work for you if you use an 70 or even 50mm stem.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
a 29'er singlespeed for a beginner? That's about 3 bikes too soon. Everyone knows you get the cheap hardtail first, then a basic full suspension bike, then a gourmet full suspension bike, and THEN you get a 29'er SS. Might as well keep it until you come full circle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.