Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tubes keep popping on my mtb. I clean out the tire and rim and look for stuff everytime. The wheels on my bike are just stock and i know are pretty shitty, but i don't know if they are flexing or something super hard under pressure. i will hit drops and jump up to like 6 stairs so i don't ride it too hard i think. One thing i saw is where the rim meets the other side (the seam) its a little sharp, like its gone out of alignment from going out of true every time i land hard. I've tried to sand/smooth it out a little but idk if thats what cuasing my tube to pop every few times i ride.

Would it be bad to put a little piece of tape or something over the seam to protect it a little? Or are there any other tricks to keeping tubes form popping all the time.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
If you run your tires too soft, the inner tube may get pinched between a sharpish obstacle and the rim: "snake bite".

More pressure and care over any obstacles with an edge should help with that.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,450 Posts
Check your rim strips - if they have moved aside and expose the spoke holes, the holes can cut your tubes. The location, size and type of hole is a clue - one or two long holes like cuts could be pinch flats. One cut like hole on the inside of the tube when it seats on the rim might indicate the spoke holes doing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.