Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Roll Tide
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a fork with 20mm maxle and have been forced to upgrade the front hub to match. My bike came with Sun Ringle Black Eye rims that seem to be alright, My question is: Should I have the LBS lace my hope pro 2 20mm to the original rim, or would that be a mistake? Should I replace the rim as well

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you local bike shop will relace an old rim i would be suprised. My guy at the LBS said you cant really tell the condition of a rim until you get it laced then if the rim sucks you have wasted all that time, plus anyone who builds (GOOD) wheels by hand a sells them usually takes pride in their work and will not build a wheel unless it is perfect. I just did the exact same thing because i got a RS Pike. I ended up lacing my own wheel. I used the old rim (Sun S.O.S) and it turned out fine, not perfect though. I had one spot that i couldnt get true. It is not really that hard. Just buy new spokes and nipples and get a good spoke wrench and thats all you need. To tension and true the wheel i just used zip ties on my fork. This link http://miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm plus Sheldon Browns web sight really helped alot. Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts