Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a new 06 reign 2 and bought the extended 5 year keep it rolling protection plan for 155.00 , this seems like a killer deal, does anybody else have this plan? I have a friend who purchased a heckler from another shop and he says it covers accidents and has used it on a rim already through the shop where he purchased it, i have seen it advertised elsewhere as parts and labor just about everything except the frame giant carries a lifetime frame warranty, but not covering accidents, any input on this plan appreciated, it almost seems to good to be true. Who needs to upgrade components when if something gets trashed or broke its fixed or replaced for 5 years for 155.00 for myself a rec rider this plan seems like the shiz it

Jerry

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Looked at the first four hits from shops, seems to be some sort of nationally marketed plan, from a non-cycling organization, along the lines of the extra warranty sold at electronic retailers for appliances. Few details were offered on any of the four sites. They all indicated you had to talk to a shop salesman for details. So just exactly what does the plan offer? One site had a bunch of exceptions for certain bike components and wear and tear, so it would be interesting to see exactly what they do offer in the terms of the contract...so far it doesn't seem particularly interesting.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have a hard time believing that replacement parts are covered like that. They're basically carrying you along for 5 yrs at their expense, and that just doesn't make sense. You better check out the details on that one since they would have given you a copy of the agreement you signed, right? :skep:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bikerfor life No worries, 155 for 5 years of extended protection is worth it to me. How can that not be interesting? i am a doubter to, and no a tuneup is not covered similiar to a car maint not covered . But it is great piece of mind to no that for 5 years other than adjustments i have no worries on a 2500 bike, If you are not interested no prob but if you are but just skepticle give one of the advertising shops a call and ask questions. I made the post to enlighten some mtb brethren that might be interested, there are some that would still doubt if it was 5 bucks and and free weekend at the mustang ranch.:madman: I mostly ride at santos bike trail in ocala florida i purchased my bike at aj's bikes and boards 100miles away, before i purchased i made sure from santos trail bike shop that they honored the warranty and they said sure no problem, as i didnt want to have to drive 200 roundtrip for warranty work even though the guys at aj,s are top notch.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My 2 cents- It looks like most extended warranties- worthless.

Remember what the Big Print giveth- the small print taketh away. The site list 100%* coverage then the * = see contract for terms, conditions, exclusions etc. Also one place listed some of the exclusions which included crash damage, modifications made after the sale (so you put new tires on- not covered), etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are correct VTafter market components added are not covered. By the way i have a sony 60inch grand wega electronics just went out $ 900 bill out of manufaturers warranty but i purchased a extended warranty for 300 and still have 2 yrs left id say iam 600 to the good. You have to be reasonable and know that there are exclusions sure so what there always are. That does not make it worthless

·
Registered
383 Posts
I said MOST extended warranties are worthless not ALL.

How many times have you been offered to purchase an extended warranty on a $50 item for $25- the premium to item cost does not work out. Also many of the consumer electronic warranties are not carry-in, but ship the item to a service center at your expense.

Also the warranty is only as good as the company the actually does the repair work. Just ask people about the value of a new car warranty when the dealerships are incompetent and unable to make the needed repairs.

Back to an extended warranty for bikes- just looking over the main exclusions- there is very little that will be covered and even less as components are changed and upgraded. What will be interesting is in a few years when the drivetrain is worn out if the warranty will cover the replacement cost, excluded, or denied because the shop no longer honors the warranty.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Kumate, I don't see the value of the plan without seeing the details. I'm not going to make calls to shops in Florida to see what you purchased in any case. Since you're the one who's extolling the virtues of the plan, yet cannot provide any details, hard to say if there's any value at all beyond the basic warranty Giant or the component manufacturers provides. It might be interesting if a bike shop owner/employee could pipe up here and explain the benefits of such a plan to both the shop and the consumer. Good luck with your purchase in any case...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AGreed i would never buy extended protection on cheap stuff, but on a 2500 bike different scenario, true there always good dealerships and bad as with any product. True they could stop honoring the warranty thats a gamble, it is like a vehicle warranty any dealer that offers the keep it rolling plan can do warranty work, Santos bike shop is a great shop they said they honor the warranty, i have a friend who has personal experience with and has used the warranty, i disagree on the not much covered as there is 90%of the bike covered all the major components not grips tires seat etc, And i am just a rec rider and am happy with the bike in stock form except for the rims they could be better, if i can keep it running like it is without investing more money the plan will be worth it, as for 155.00 could be ate up quickly in 5 yrs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks biker for life, I have no way of scanning the details and am not going to write them word for word i hate typing as it is. Basically everything except tires seat, grips and tuneups if components fail it is covered aftermarket iterms not covered, If you run it over with a bus it is up to the discretion of the bike shop, but prob not covered. Dont have to call florida there are shops all over the nation that have this warranty, I have seen the warrant pay off and that is enough for me, and i too would like a shop owner pipe in.

thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, 10 years later lol but I thought I should chime in.. I bought a Trek Fuel Ex 8 in 2012 and got the Keep It Rolling Protection Plan at the time of purchase for I think around $180 for 5 years. The protection is about to expire and in that time I have had my rear derailleur replaced twice (the second time it was upgraded cause the didn't make what came with the bike anymore), brakes replaced twice (and also upgraded for the same reason), chain replaced, rear cassette replaced, rear wheel replaced (because one spoke broke), and fork sent out to Fox to be serviced. All labor done and all without any cost to me. So I think it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyways... That plan is badass and I won't buy another bike without it. And I should mention they aren't cheap about it all. Most of those replacements where the mechanic just saying I should have them replaced after seeing I had the plan. Unfortunately my lbs no longer offers this plan after being bought out by Trek so hopefully I can find someone else who still offers it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yup we sell the Keep It Rolling plan in our shop, all of our employees have it on their personal bikes and HIGHLY encourage our customers to get it as well. As a mechanic it makes my life WAY easier, no phone tag to get permission to perform extra repairs, just do it. get KIR

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
worth it if you ride a lot, especially if you don't know whot work on your own bike. Labor is what kills you

Also, accidents is not covered by the plan, and we all know that's where it's most likely to get damaged.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.