Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bran new Garry fisher Big sur 2004, and I keep getting pinch flats, the rim is 26 x2.1K , can I put bigger tires of tubes ?? Will this help to stop having those snakebites ?
thanks
-blend

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,382 Posts
Captain to Pump "more air pressure please"

blend911 said:
I have a bran new Garry fisher Big sur 2004, and I keep getting pinch flats, the rim is 26 x2.1K , can I put bigger tires of tubes ?? Will this help to stop having those snakebites ?
thanks
-blend
The primary reason for pinch flats is not running enough air pressure. Add more air. FYI I usually run around 45-50 psi in my rear wheel on a 26 x 2.1 and I'm about 225 pounds.

·
almost there!
341 Posts
40 psi should be good...

... especially for the rear, the front you can lower to around 35 psi, I weigh 180 and I rarely get pinch flats.

Sometimes your inner tubes might have a slow leak that causes your tire pressure to get too low and then when you hit a big rock that's when it usually happens.

Check your tire pressure at least once a week. Even better check your tire pressure every time you go on a long distance bike ride or race.

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
Dammit jim im not a floor pump...

Fattirewilly said:
The primary reason for pinch flats is not running enough air pressure. Add more air. FYI I usually run around 45-50 psi in my rear wheel on a 26 x 2.1 and I'm about 225 pounds.
For me the min psi i can go with without flatting is 40psi. This is using a 2.1 that measures around 2.25 in the back. With the 2.35" front tire i start with 40psi and adjust as i go, but dont go less than say 35psi or so.

·
Code Burr
1,377 Posts
Check your rim tape and make sure it is covering the spoke holes, if not replace it with strapping tape. I had an episode where I kept getting flats and finally found the rim tape had shrunk and was exposing the spoke holes which were cutting into the tubes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ithink Ill just bring my MTB to my LBS and ask for DH wheels instead of XC ones .. cuz I only roll in rocks .. and I just want to rock and roll damnit !

thanks for the advices
-blend

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I was having the same problem on my non UST wheelset. On the UST set I run 30psi on the front and 40psi on the rear, I was doing the same psi's on the non UST set and had a flat on every ride.

Now I'm running 35f/40r, wider tires (2.4s) and dh specific tubes. Since those changes the flats went away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts