Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

This season I've had 3 chain problems. Twice the links snapped, the 2nd time the links were completely exploded clean off. Also had a stuck link, that looks like the little round part inside the chain had been jammed.

I did completely upgrade/overhaul my drivetrain for this season. Shifting is smooth, and everything seems to be working fine until the snaps.

Specs on my drivetrain are below

Cassette SRAM 970
Chain PC 991
X9 Rear D
XT front D
Travative Stylo Team Cranks

Could there be something off with my drivetrain causing all the chain brakes this season? Or should I quit using the 991 chain?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
there were a lot of reports of chain problems when sram went to the 'new' 9spd models. seems the best fix is shimano chain & put your sram quick link on it.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Check your chain length - too short breaks chains. With many full suspension designs, the distance from bb to cassette lengthens as the suspension compresses. With a SRAM rear derailleur, you want two links of slack when in your big/big gear combo (one link of slack for Shimano ders).

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
watermoccasin said:
Check your chain length - too short breaks chains. With many full suspension designs, the distance from bb to cassette lengthens as the suspension compresses. With a SRAM rear derailleur, you want two links of slack when in your big/big gear combo (one link of slack for Shimano ders).
Hmm..> I wonder if that's it.

I switched from a Deore to X9 this season, but I kept the chain length the same. My LBS told me this was correct. But maybe I should recheck the chain length and assume a fresh install length.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use a bashguard in place of the big ring. Should I still size the chain as if I had the big ring on? It seems like this would make some sense. Every time my chain breaks I lose a link and if I put new ones on then part of the chain is stretched more than others. How many links difference would it be, sizing it down to jsut fit the middle ring/big cog?
Qben
(sorry if this is too far off topic)

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Chain size is almost always* measured by going around the largest front ring and the largest rear sprocket only then adding two links (one inner + one outer). Do not go through the derailleur to determine chain length.

*possible exception being some riders' preference for +4 links one their 1x9 systems.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i've stayed away from the sram stuff for awhile now. I'm going to try the shimano cn 7701 durace 9spd chains, supposedly it's pretty good but you gotta deal with those pesky pins whenever you have a break.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"I'm going to try the shimano cn 7701 durace 9spd chains, supposedly it's pretty good but you gotta deal with those pesky pins whenever you have a break."

You can use a SRAM Powerlink on any Shimano/KMC/Connex chain. There are different Powerlinks for 8 and 9 speed chains, so make sure you're getting the appropriate one.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Many, many, many people, as we speak, are using a SRAM Powerlink on a Shimano chain. I sometimes use the XTR/DuraAce with a Powerlink, but mostly I use a KMC X9.92 with one.
Anyone who tells you otherwise is one of only two things; a blatant liar, or incompetent.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wanna try the KMC X9. Can't locate a dealer in Toronto. KMC was no help either. You'd think they'd wanna help a customer buy their product.

Looks like i'm going back to Shimano Chains.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
SteveUK said:
Many, many, many people, as we speak, are using a SRAM Powerlink on a Shimano chain. I sometimes use the XTR/DuraAce with a Powerlink, but mostly I use a KMC X9.92 with one.
Anyone who tells you otherwise is one of only two things; a blatant liar, or incompetent.
My understanding is that the 9 speed powerlinks are compatible. However, apparently the 8 speed powerlinks do not work with Shimano.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Man I am on the same boat this season, 3 broken chain in 2months. Ofcourse it took the 3rd break for me to replace a 1.5yr old chain. So its either im not shifting to the appropriate gear during a climb or im not installing the chains correctly or i just have too much power on my legs:rolleyes:
gtk that sram powerlink can be used with Shimano i got the same response at my lbs they said no can do people that are ignorant shouldn't be allowed to make comments on products they dont know or have experience on. Thanks for the info. What is the basis on proper chain length again?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'm still using 8speed stuff and I'm pretty heavy (209lbs) and can really hammer down plus I'm on my 3rd total drive train in exactly one year of riding.

Not one broken chain in all of that.

I wonder if the 9speed stuff is just too weak for some riders.
What does your LBS say about your combo of parts?
Can't imagine the thinner 9 speed stuff not being strong enough to the point where stuff just snaps.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Theres no reason why you couldn't add more than 1 power link.

Proper chain length depends on your derailleur. For SRAM you put chain around big big cogs bypassing rear d, and add 2 links. Or something like that. Read the manual =)

9sp isnt' exactly new. If top riders can use it, I'm sure a rec rider like me can.
I think chain length might have been a problem. Instead of following the instructions, i just broke my chain to the same length as my old one, because my LBS said no diff for sram or shimano rear derailleur chain length.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
Maybe SRAM shouldn't "improve" something that didn't need to be.
I'm still rocking on SRAM PC99R Hollowpin chain for my FS, minimal stretch so far.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, not much in our world "Needs" to be improved.

Nothing wrong with riding around in 30yr old bikes. But than I guess there would be no economy.

·
it's....
2,088 Posts
bbgobie said:
Well, not much in our world "Needs" to be improved.

Nothing wrong with riding around in 30yr old bikes. But than I guess there would be no economy.
thanks for the economy lesson, I guess. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts