Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out for the first ride of the season the other day, and untrued my rear Alex TD-17. Upon truing, I stripped a couple of the spoke nipples under normal torque (crappy nipples, right?). Is is worth it go through the trouble of respoking the entire rim w/ quality spokes and nipples so I can true it, or to just go out and buy a better rim (ie-Rhyno Lites or Mavics)? I'm a hoss at 6'2" 250#.

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
JamFan44 said:
I was out for the first ride of the season the other day, and untrued my rear Alex TD-17. Upon truing, I stripped a couple of the spoke nipples under normal torque (crappy nipples, right?). Is is worth it go through the trouble of respoking the entire rim w/ quality spokes and nipples so I can true it, or to just go out and buy a better rim (ie-Rhyno Lites or Mavics)? I'm a hoss at 6'2" 250#.
I'd go for a new rim, once it's out of true you'll need uneven spoke tension and that'll just cause you to bust the things more often.

I'm the same height and weight as yourself and I've had a few issues with rims, the rims that came on my hardtail bent very quickly, I replaced them with Cane Creek Aeroheats which have been fantastic.

I just got Sun CR18s with the squishy bike I just bought (KHS 604), but they seem a little flimsy (the rear is already a little out of true) so I was thinking of getting the rims replaced with Mavic XM 321s or Rhynolites, at the moment I'm leaning towards the Mavics since they're cheap and semi-indestructible (they're also recommended by MTBR) and the weight doesn't bother me.

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
It depends on how un-true te rim is. If it's jamming on the brake pad on each side or the tire is hitting the frame then almost definately a new rim is needed. ANd the rhinolite is stronger.

If its only less then 1/2" out then truing will not result in a significantly weaker rim - but you know that the rim is too weak for you already, right?

And if you already have a good hub then getting a rim built onto your old hub is often a good way to go. A lot of bargain wheel sets you can buy are made with cheaper spokes(although some aren't). Go with straight guage DT champion 14 g. Get it done by a reputable builder in your area and if you're still having problems then you need to practice landing straight, cause the wheels aren't your problem.

·
Are you gonna eat that?
500 Posts
TobyNobody said:
It depends on how un-true te rim is. If it's jamming on the brake pad on each side or the tire is hitting the frame then almost definately a new rim is needed. ANd the rhinolite is stronger..
What would you say was a stronger rim the Mavic 321s or the Rhynolites ?

Looking at the cross section the mavic seems deeper so I'm more inclined to trust it.

They're about the same price and weight isn't an issue, only strength.

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
Kyoseki said:
What would you say was a stronger rim the Mavic 321s or the Rhynolites ?

Looking at the cross section the mavic seems deeper so I'm more inclined to trust it.

They're about the same price and weight isn't an issue, only strength.
Yeah. I didn't read your whole post. I am not a fan of the rhinolites, actually. I've never used them but seen the bend under loads thatI thought were normal enough that it shouldn't have been a problem. I just thought they would be better than the alexes that are on the original poster's bike.

But I don't agree with using x-sec. depth to be the indicator of strength. You could make a rim out of a very high cheese-content alloy with a deep crosssection and it would still be soft and weak. The reputation of the mavics is very good, though. THats what i'd go by.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
I build the majority of my wheels with rhynolites - the cheaper the better. They can be tough to set up initially (i find many of the rims are marginally out of true to start) once true i find them bullet proof. Requiring only moderate adjustments all year.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If you're running disks, the XM321 (F219) are pretty hard to beat.
QUOTE=nogearshere]I build the majority of my wheels with rhynolites - the cheaper the better. They can be tough to set up initially (i find many of the rims are marginally out of true to start) once true i find them bullet proof. Requiring only moderate adjustments all year.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have Rynolites on two bikes. One with V's and one with disc. I have always found them to be strong and remain true. I have built my own wheel before, but, why do that when you can get Rhyno wheels with XT hubs for reasonable prices.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
I have Rynolites, Mavic 219s and Alex TD 17

I have had real good luck with hand built wheels using the Rynolites and various Mavics. The Alex wheels I had a lot of trouble with, they would not stay true as well and after a few hundred miles I started popping spokes every other ride. To be fair though the Alex rims came on a lower end bike, were probably machine built, were laced to cheaper hubs, and had black spokes, all of which could be reasons for the poor performance.

Get new decent quality rims and hand build them properly with good spokes (or have it done),and you should be golden. I like DT Swiss or Wheelsmith stainless steel spokes.
Double butted are just as strong I'm convinced and lighter, but cost more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.