Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
#038 - Birth of a Frame - Teaser!

Ok, I'm gonna annoy some folks with teaser shots. I went to pick up my new frame and fork today. More shots when the build is more complete. Some parts are pending. The tension is building.

The day started out with a sweet ride on some sweet trails with the builder and his wife. They put the hurtin' on me. then time to pick up the frame at the shop.

It's a Ti
It's a 29'er
It's a rigid, non-corrected
It's a ss
It's light
It's so sweet!

And no that's not a crack in the bb shot, doggone dog hair!

Ed E

Attachments

·
Large wheels & one gear
720 Posts
Ok, explain the seatpost.....I am intrigued. I am assuming that there is another King top cap on the otherside and the Ti is custom cut to the rails and the caps tighten down flush. But, what keeps th seat from sliding? If the top caps tighten down snug against the rails, I would think that they wouldn't hold and would tweek.? Nice shots of the frame. Looks sweet!

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's a beaut!

Boy, Ed, that thing is gorgeous. I like the seatpost too. I'm not surprised Kent came up with something different.

Tell us about the Pace fork. You aren't concerned about reliability the way you ride? I know they must be fine but I'm having a hard time accepting that, knowing that carbon fiber can fail without warning.

Gary

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
rocky rode said:
Boy, Ed, that thing is gorgeous. I like the seatpost too. I'm not surprised Kent came up with something different.

Tell us about the Pace fork. You aren't concerned about reliability the way you ride? I know they must be fine but I'm having a hard time accepting that, knowing that carbon fiber can fail without warning.

Gary
I am not trying to be a smart a$$...really.

Of those of you that have had a fork fail (steel, Ti, Carbon), have any given warning? From what I have seen no fork gives much indication before it fails.

I opted not to buy the pace also because I ride hard. Has anyone actually seen one fail though?

Seriously, I am not trying to be a jerk...I have seen many posts of failed Ti forks but not any Pace.

That is a great looking frame....I would love to see an exploded view of that seat post (if you ever need to take it apart).

Major props on the non corrected design! My next frame will be non corrected design (stiffer, lighter, stronger....best of all worlds)...that will look SOOO cool when you get it done.

·
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rocky rode said:

Gary
Thanks Gary.

Yes I have thoughts about the fork and at first I said there was no way I'd go with a carbon fork but then I thought about the fact that I ride around with carbon handlebars!. Not to be flippant but I am concerned about a lot of things in life; driving on I-70, carbon handlebars, a stick flipping into my front wheel spokes (it's already happened!), getting taken for a meal by a mountain lion, lightning, etc. But heck, if I let all those worries stop me I'd be sitting at home watching the boob-tube worrying about my fat ass and flipping channels.

Originally Posted by unit
I am not trying to be a smart a$$...really.

Of those of you that have had a fork fail (steel, Ti, Carbon), have any given warning? From what I have seen no fork gives much indication before it fails.

I opted not to buy the pace also because I ride hard. Has anyone actually seen one fail though?

Seriously, I am not trying to be a jerk...I have seen many posts of failed Ti forks but not any Pace.
Exactly!

FWIW - I have had steel forks fail but give a warning, they cracked and held!

I researched the Pace pretty thoroughly. It looks solid, it has a good rep and I think it'll be great. But of course we don't necessarily always hear about the bad stuff, do we?

I opted not to get a ti fork based on those same failed ti posts you mention plus, they seem too noodly for me.

Ed E

·
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Some parts and accessories...

I am mostly anti-bling on parts so most of what I will use is pretty standard, tried and true stuff (the Pace fork being an exception I suppose).

The Pace fork and King headset (pewter).

The Rigid & Lightweight - Air Inside - Hollowtech crank

The Spot

The MC built front wheel w/ DT240 hub

Been there, done that, got the....

Now how do you think that jersey is gonna look riding around in the deep forest with my ripped baggies? So much for anti-bling. Perhaps I should have gotten blue King hubs and a blue king headset to go with the jersey? Or better yet a set of blue I9's!

Ed E

Attachments

·
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And...

The front disc brake

I will be cannibalizing some stuff from my 26" bike :) The XTR v-brake for example will come over as well as the Thompson stem.

The rear wheel will be my existing MC built also w/ DT240s hub.

For those of you curious about the non-corrected aspect of the geometry and its relation to the Pace fork. Credit goes to JJT (see link) for the idea to use the 440mm 26" corrected Pace RC31. We threw a front wheel on yesterday with Bontrager tires and the clearance was superb. Thanks JJT.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=177642&highlight=phil+wood+frame

So now, I am wondering what the heck I am doing inside on such a gorgeous morning - time to ride.

Later -

Ed E

Attachments

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
looks super nice. whenever you get a chance to share the details on the seatpost, I would be interested in how the whole thing works. can you store.. um.. stuff, in there? and get it out without loosing seat adjustment?

enjoy your new ride! a clydesdale buddy rode one of those forks for a while without issue. you should be fine, just keep an eye on it for cracks/gouges. personally, i would be worried about scratching it in a crash, then being unsure if it is fit to continue to use.

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
Oh my...

...goodness gracious. After I sold my Moots I swore I'd never get all weepy about big-dollar Ti bikes again, because those expensive ones are just too valuable, and it takes too much marital capital to buy one. But jeez, that fuggin' thing is beautiful. I can't think of anyone who will wring more enjoyment out of it.
edemtbs said:
Yes I have thoughts about the fork and at first I said there was no way I'd go with a carbon fork but then I thought about the fact that I ride around with carbon handlebars!. Not to be flippant but I am concerned about a lot of things in life; driving on I-70, carbon handlebars...
That is a really beautiful fork, and it goes well with such an artful frame. And you're right, modern life is full of dangers. Sometimes you just have to put some faith into a bit of equipment and go. Personally I'd rather ride around on a carbon fork than a Ti one, and even a steel fork can fail.

Nice damned bike.

·
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
jh_on_the_cape said:
looks super nice. whenever you get a chance to share the details on the seatpost, I would be interested in how the whole thing works. can you store.. um.. stuff, in there? and get it out without loosing seat adjustment?

enjoy your new ride! a clydesdale buddy rode one of those forks for a while without issue. you should be fine, just keep an eye on it for cracks/gouges. personally, i would be worried about scratching it in a crash, then being unsure if it is fit to continue to use.
Haha - yep, certain stuff will definitely fit. But it's not the most convenient access.

Nice to know about your buddies good experience. As you mention, crashes and the like are what I'd need to watch out for but since I never crash and or go near rocks etc., eh, I'm not worried :rolleyes:

Ed E

·
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2melow said:
That's nice Ed...but when are you coming up here to ride with us?

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060611/VIDEO/60610002

I need someone to train with for this Laramie Range enduro Race! Squeaky Wheel had an Erikson too and loves it. Great looking frame!!!
Thanks.

I know! I have to get up there. That new trail and it's connections to so much access has me drooling. It's so nice to see that kind of trail work being done. Soon, very soon, it's a bit of a drive for me for a day ride. But of course if we train for LE maybe it will be an ALL day ride and it'd be worth it :D

Ed E

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.