Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The MTB Lab
2,556 Posts
Can we get a post from someone whom has used one and get there durability opinions? Not the cheapest cogset here in the US, $250 retail. I spoke with Jacky the main sales man at KCNC at Interbike and he assured me that you can get replacement cogs for the worn out ones, but Nino said that was not the case. I need to check into that here in the US.

·
Weight Maniac
672 Posts
pastajet said:
Can we get a post from someone whom has used one and get there durability opinions? Not the cheapest cogset here in the US, $250 retail. I spoke with Jacky the main sales man at KCNC at Interbike and he assured me that you can get replacement cogs for the worn out ones, but Nino said that was not the case. I need to check into that here in the US.
Nino is correct. The cogs are non-replaceable. Not to say that Jacky isn't truthful but I've communicated with him a few times and I think there is a bit of a language barrier there.

·
Weight Maniac
672 Posts
mountainforce said:
The money you save could be invested in something else which will save weight.
Well, for the guy that has a SRAM PG990 at 305 grams $250 for a cassette at half the weight isn't too bad of a dollar per gram ratio.

King, I had to send my 12-27 back to Jacky because the Scandium cogs were mis-machined. The first time I rode it the chain was lifting up and over the cog teeth under heavy load...like during an intense sprint. It only happened on the black colored Scandium cogs and it occurred with three different chains. The chains were Dura-ace HG, SRAM, and KMC. When the SRAM or Shimano cassettes were installed there was of coarse no tooth jumping. I should have a new one in about two weeks, so we'll see if the other cassette was a fluke or there is a on going problem with the teeth.

Have you looked at Nino's ti cassette yet?

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
pastajet said:
wrong - you can get replacement parts from KCNC but no one will have them in stock!
you already have a hard time finding buyers for such cassettes so there won't be guys having stock on replacement parts that cost more than you can get an XTR cassette for...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I has a KCNC cassette in 2006 year...and on a race broken.It´s bad so compite and hard training for races....
I´m prefer a safety and good work cassette: Shimano XTR but for light bike, trails..and show pic bikes...alu cassete it´s ok.
Titanium Cassettes are better than alu cassettes..

·
TranceX Rider
948 Posts
Thanks much, Ferny! :thumbsup: We've learned, good for show bikes only! I've got better use for mine as well a set of IRD, paperweight on my desk! LoL!

So, that wraps it up, guys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the KCNC cassette on my Scott Spark LTD , I'm going back to sram or xtr. Lots of miss shifts or ghost shift. Originaly I thought it was a defective cassette so change it for another one and was exactly the same. Also the vendor told me that it might not work with sram XO so I change it to my other bike with XTR and didn't work either.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ya, I'm with viclevy. Only about 300miles and miss shifts, ghost shifting. It would miss shift in 2 gears and ghost shift in all others. Tried different chains, but no help. Actually thought it was my ti spring in my tuned derailleur. Replaced the cassette with a new XTR and shifts perfect. Light and expensive, but not durable :(

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not KCNC but Pro-Lite alloy cassette. I wasnt expecting great shifting or great longevity of the cassette but its been on there for almost 5 months of hard riding. Shifting is exceptional and I mash big gears up hill and havent had any reliability issues.
OK its not KCNC but jsut thought I'd put in a good word for alloy cassettes :)

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
hmm...

Maybe some of the moderators should take a closer look to my posts before they delete them!

-i clearly explained why there's no replacement cogs for KCNC cassettes

-i clearly explained why it doesn't make sense to get them anyway (misshifts)

-i said aluminium cassettes do no good offroad but do pretty good on roadbikes

-i showed an example that KCNC aluminium cassettes aren't any lighter than some titanium cassettes (no mentioning of make or model or where or at what price!!!...just an example)

I do agree that you have to keep things clean but that was just pure information on various aspects-good night!

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
nino said:
Maybe some of the moderators should take a closer look to my posts before they delete them!

-i clearly explained why there's no replacement cogs for KCNC cassettes

-i clearly explained why it doesn't make sense to get them anyway (misshifts)

-i said aluminium cassettes do no good offroad but do pretty good on roadbikes

-i showed an example that KCNC aluminium cassettes aren't any lighter than some titanium cassettes (no mentioning of make or model or where or at what price!!!...just an example)

I do agree that you have to keep things clean but that was just pure information on various aspects-good night!
Maybe you should stop posting SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I spend way too much time having to delete your bashing of others and spam. Last and final warning. Next move will only be met with acct deletion.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a 12:34 cassete KCNC here. I've used it one time and inmediately broke 2 teeth of. on one of the bigger cogs, I think the 26 or so. An aluminium cog. No kcnc cassette for me anymore.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
rensho said:
Maybe you should stop posting SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I spend way too much time having to delete your bashing of others and spam. Last and final warning. Next move will only be met with acct deletion.
I do not bash others. I usually don't get personal except in defense of myself.

I told how it is. If you have any experience with KCNC cassettes feel free to comment as well or maybe YOU can tell us where to get replacement cogs?

I just tried to explain that they aren't really worth the investement EXCEPT if you are using them on the road or to commute or to put them on a scale. I didn't bash them either , i just commented on how aluminium cassettes (ALL of them !!) do offroad. If i showed another part (no name,no source, no link, no price) it was to show that the aluminiums aren't worth it.

That's my honest opinion and i never said anything else. If people ask in here about aluminium cassettes i do tell them my opinion and my experience since i am maybe one of a few that has some (long-term) experience with them ( i used aluminiums for 9 years on my roadbikes...), i had ALL of them in hand, on my scale and some on my bikes and i also have a lot of feedback on them too. Again- isn't it the sharing of info what these forums are here for. But that's just my opinion again. I have nothing at all against KCNC - i was/am defending their seatposts for ages already...

Usually i appreciate your work in here though! Maybe this time you missed the point? Or maybe my post could be mis-interpreted...if that was the case i'm sorry!

Back to the OPs question: Stay clear of Aluminium cassettes if you are serious about racing!

·
Registered
249 Posts
ginsu2k said:
If nino got his account deleted, this forum would suck.
I totally agree. Any time I've wanted info on some lightweight part he provides an answer - usually backed up with pics of factual weights.

To be honest the mods on here seem to have a little bit too much time on their hands and although its laughable, seem to enjoy weilding the power too much. Its a forum for gods sake. He doesnt swear, post pr0n, jsut gives his opinion on what works, what he tried. The recent mod comment about posting spam was as hilarious as it was absurd.

Perhaps there should be a post where we elect and complain about the mods?

I'm sure these posts will subsequently be deleted for being off topic or taking up too much space on the server.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.