Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
JackCoul
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here had any experience with the new KCNC 9-52 12 speed cassette? I wanted to give a try so I bought one, got it all set up so it shifts just fine...but if you back peddle it or roll it back wards with it in the big cog the chain falls off the cog. I have sent a email to KCNC to see if they have a fix for this problem. I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this cassette?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Derailleur adjustments have no effect on the chain dropping when back pedaling as it's on the far side of the cassette. Chain dropping off the largest cog backpedalling is pretty standard as there's nothing to guide the chain onto the cog. Cassettes have short teeth to facilitate shifting, which also don't retain the chain well unless it's being guided onto them by the nearby upper pulley of the rear derailleur.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi from Puerto Rico

I bought the 9-52 cassette from R2 Bike and the chain falls in the last 3 big cogs when doing backpedal. I put on a new chain and he keeps doing it. Crank at the front is a 32t boost 3mm offset. My bike is a Specialized Epic Expert 2018 1x12 full Eagle XX1 and had no issues with the Eagle 10-50. It seems as the chain looks crossed. Somebody told me to use a 6mm offset chainring other told me to use a 28t instead of a 32t. Also I don't know why the last 3 cogs skipped the chain on torque. I'm from Puerto Rico.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought the 9-52 cassette from R2 Bike and the chain falls in the last 3 big cogs when doing backpedal. I put on a new chain and he keeps doing it. Crank at the front is a 32t boost 3mm offset. My bike is a Specialized Epic Expert 2018 1x12 full Eagle XX1 and had no issues with the Eagle 10-50. It seems as the chain looks crossed. Somebody told me to use a 6mm offset chainring other told me to use a 28t instead of a 32t. Also I don't know why the last 3 cogs skipped the chain on torque. I'm from Puerto Rico.

·
JackCoul
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is true Lone Rager but it does not happen with the stock XX1 10-50 cassette, you can backpedal all you want and the chain stays on the big cog, so there must be a solution to the problem.

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,416 Posts
That is true Lone Rager but it does not happen with the stock XX1 10-50 cassette, you can backpedal all you want and the chain stays on the big cog, so there must be a solution to the problem.
I think you found the solution to your problem right there.

·
JackCoul
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had this cassette for 6 months and the chain started to jump the gears...new chain and front ring. At 9 months I was on a ride and the rivets that hold the aluminum set to the steel set sheared off and the two pieces separated. When I took it off the bike the center of the cassette where the axle goes through was trashed and in pieces. They did refund my money but unless they have made some serious changes I would not buy it again.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also bought a KCNC Master 9-52, and the first3 or 4 rides it went ok, but after that it started to jump in the 10 and 11 gear. I adjusted in order to avoid that problem and then I couldn't change from 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 gears. I tried everything, adjusting B screw height, changing chainring and chain and nothing happened. I decided to go back to Sram 10-50.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just bumping this in case there are any updates around resolution of the backpedal and cog-jumping issues? (I'm wondering if the cog-jumping is due to use of aluminium cogs wearing too quickly and not retaining the chain?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered the Garbaruk Cassette a year ago and it works flawlessly. I'm so happy with it, I just ordered a second one for my other bike. Lighter than the Sram and much cheaper. No chain drop or skipping. Lightweight Components Belong Here | Garbaruk Online Store
I decided to go with the Microshift AdventX 10x 11-48T - interestingly, there are more reports of the derailleur being more than capable of handling 12x so if I need the extra oomph of the 52 tooth cog then that's always a future option :) That Garbaruk cassette is ridiculously light! While it's only 100 grams difference, at 75% the weight of the Microshift Advent X - have you noticed any problems with wear? (I'm not a weight-weenie - just curious as to whether weight reductions come at a cost to life-span).

·
Registered
309 Posts
I decided to go with the Microshift AdventX 10x 11-48T - interestingly, there are more reports of the derailleur being more than capable of handling 12x so if I need the extra oomph of the 52 tooth cog then that's always a future option :) That Garbaruk cassette is ridiculously light! While it's only 100 grams difference, at 75% the weight of the Microshift Advent X - have you noticed any problems with wear? (I'm not a weight-weenie - just curious as to whether weight reductions come at a cost to life-span).
I've noticed no unusual wear. Actually the opposite; seems to be holding up better than the Sram GX. I thing the Garbaruk is the best option for a replacement cassette all around.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts