Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Fake News! I thought this thread was going to be about Kate Courtney riding a stand-up paddleboard in Northern California

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Awesome race. Would there be an advantage to riding a rigid fork on a track like that? Would seem to save some weight, or is there a weight minimum on those bikes?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Awesome race. Would there be an advantage to riding a rigid fork on a track like that? Would seem to save some weight, or is there a weight minimum on those bikes?
They have to race the same bike in the XCO, which has a more technical course; that's why there were folks on FS in the short track. I've never seen a racer on a rigid fork, so perhaps they are required to have a suspension fork? In cross they're required to have drop bars and 33C tires, so it's not inconceivable. Still a lot of people on hardtails in the short track, Albstadt course is a pretty smooth

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,282 Posts
^^^ is that a fact that they must race the same bike in short track and XCO? I've never heard that before

·
Formerly of Kent
12,546 Posts
They have to race the same bike in the XCO, which has a more technical course; that's why there were folks on FS in the short track. I've never seen a racer on a rigid fork, so perhaps they are required to have a suspension fork? In cross they're required to have drop bars and 33C tires, so it's not inconceivable. Still a lot of people on hardtails in the short track, Albstadt course is a pretty smooth
No suspension fork requirement in the rules. Your fork sponsor, OTOH, might be pissed off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
59 Posts
I've become more aware of the racers largely as a result of attending Sea Otter (since 2015).

Is Emily Batty recovering from illness or injury? She finished 14th, similar to her results at Sea Otter.

Wow, Langvads is 35! I guess Emily has quite a few more seasons to go to get her 1st world cup victory then...

What about Rissveds? She formed her own team under the sponsorship of specialized. Is she returning to full time racing this season? Or will she race a more limited schedule?

As far as this race in particular, it looks like Neff loses the race at around 29:45. She chooses a different line and loses momentum around the corner. Still darn near a photo finish.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I think on that track I would have ridden a CX bike with a flat bar.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,282 Posts
As far as this race in particular, it looks like Neff loses the race at around 29:45. She chooses a different line and loses momentum around the corner. Still darn near a photo finish.
That's funny, there was so much hate about the lack of technicality in this short track course and here it is being decided on a technicality. Racing is racing and everyone races the same track.

·
Banned
59 Posts
It looks like the organizers put at least a little bit of thought into creating a varied track.

There is a short section of pump track/rollers, an embankment, and a mix of single track, fire road, grass, and pavement.

But there's nothing that involves higher level technical skills like in enduro or downhill racing, much less trials riding. It's not quite xc racing, either.

It looks like a fun event though. It might be nice to have a mix of events of different distances, like in track and field racing.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,282 Posts
It looks like a fun event though. It might be nice to have a mix of events of different distances, like in track and field racing.
They tried that with XC eliminator. I never really thought that was very interesting though. Here we are again with a short track and an XCO race, we'll see how long short track sticks around, basically a want-to-be CX race.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Been following the XC stuff for years. Was watching Courtney when she was doing Norcal HS league stuff. Nice to see her having so much success.

I'm pleased to see the increased interest @ the Norcal Board. I'd attribute some of it to RedBull TV's OUTSTANDING coverage [commentating and camera work], and more interesting courses the last few years.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts