Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've got a 20inch Karate Monkey (the brown one) I am trying to turn it into a SS commuter by fitting 44t ENO cranks to the frame with a 73mm, 113mm spindle BB (plus a spacer on the drive side). I am finding that the 44t chain-ring is still rubbing on the stay. Do i go to a 73mm, 118mm spindle BB? I am currently running a ENO SS hub on the rear and with such a wide BB spindle length that will stuff up my chain-line :madman: , any thoughts on this?

Thanks

3,617 Posts
nice cranks set for sure!
a 44t is rubbin huh...bummer
if you go to 118mm spindle its only gonna be 2.5mm extra on either side.

can you calculate the gear inch you are/wanting to use?
then maybe reduce the chainring T
and reduce the cogT
and/or if not already/go 700c aka 29er
it looks like Eno freewheel goes down to 16T

even tho surly website says 48t max for the chainring...
obviously this is in consideration of using a MTB crankset, therefore the "big ring" is that much further out...hmmm...

can you remove the chainring...
then mount the crank to the existing BB
then take a straight edge and run it from the inside of the crank arm (where the chainring WOULD be)
and eyeball what the chain line would be...
this would give you an idea as to how much different it would be to use a wider spindle
you could also measure the 44T chainring radius and use that as a reference as to the largest chainring you could place

it may come to that you just cant use a 44T in that position...
something like a 32-36T...
are there 36T chainrings out there to fit those cranks?

those are my thoughts...
good luck...

ohhh...maybe post some pics
a pic is worth a thousand words...right?

peace...d

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Devo:thumbsup: , I had seen your responses for another post like this one.

Some options that i had thought about:
  • Sell the frame/fork and get an ON-ONE 29er
  • get a White Industries 38t (the size down) chain-ring, then i have problem with gear inches
  • Get Boone to make a white copy in 42t and 40t
  • use a bmx BB and crankset (spacer options)
  • Use a wider BB and get a geared rear wheel made up and put the cog on the very end of the freewhelel shell using SS spacers
  • put a spacer behind the rear cog with a wider BB
  • Stuff it all and just go geared
  • give up bicycles BS, move to the top of a mountain and become a hermit that throws stones at tourists
  • Sell it and give it up as a bad idea

I had owned a 1x1 years ago and had the same problem. Might look at the Voodoo 29er as well. Reason I got the Monkey was for "all-rounder" concept bike (SS, Fixed, geared off-road Tourer, 29er, etc etc etc)

thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for the suggestion Devo :) .
Good idea but i already have 2 fixed gears (Spicer and Hillman), converted road bike to SS (ENO Eccentric hub), Gunnar Crosshairs Cyclocross and this damned Monkey. Might have to look at my crank choice and go a 40/15 or 42/16. Back to the drawing board.

Might have to look at a Cross check as a 'soft option' 29er.

Thanks

·
3,049 Posts
Aussie'SS' said:
Hi
I've got a 20inch Karate Monkey (the brown one) I am trying to turn it into a SS commuter by fitting 44t ENO cranks to the frame with a 73mm, 113mm spindle BB (plus a spacer on the drive side). I am finding that the 44t chain-ring is still rubbing on the stay. Do i go to a 73mm, 118mm spindle BB? I am currently running a ENO SS hub on the rear and with such a wide BB spindle length that will stuff up my chain-line :madman: , any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Get a new rear hub. The ENO has a very inboard chainline, a Surly hub should make your current bb just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.