Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
( )
755 Posts
hmmm

"Gross Check" frameset. Gotta get me one of those.

Actually...are there any differences between new cross check frames and older ones (2001)?
I know they added downtube shifter mounts to the new frames, but other than that, is there a difference in tubing, weight or geometry?

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
steevo said:
"Gross Check" frameset. Gotta get me one of those.

Actually...are there any differences between new cross check frames and older ones (2001)?
I know they added downtube shifter mounts to the new frames, but other than that, is there a difference in tubing, weight or geometry?
If yours doesn't have the upper rack mounts on the seat stays then that's the other change. I think tubing, etc. stayed the same.

·
bon vivant
156 Posts
I waited and waited and scanned eBay and all the classifieds, but in several months I never found a 20" KM frame I could lay hands on.
So last week, I bought a Fisher.

Alanis needs to revise her dang ironic song and put this in.

Hopefully, a glut will bring the prices wayyy down, and I can pick one up to SSerize for cheep, at least.

I do like the Supercal - a LOT. A whole lot.

·
( )
755 Posts
i know what you're saying

I turned my KM into a full time trail bike, so i wanted to get a new commuter/light trail bike. I looked everywhere for a new cross check frame. No one had them and they told me Surly wouldn't have them until mid May. So I ended up buying an older Cross Check (UPS just dropped it off today), but in retrospect, had I been patient and known they would be available now, I could've got a brand new CC frame and built it up with new and spare parts that i have lying around for about the price i paid for the older CC. Oh well, once I clean and tune it up and dial it in, it'll serve me well.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I THINK CC's at one point were another tubing. And the early green models seemed to take 29" tires, more recent ones don't. I love my CC, did 133km's on it today, SSolo, 42x16t. Really need to get a shorter stem though, and I wish I hadn't tried to be original by opting for Salsa Short 'n Shallows bars over the Bell Laps I knew I'd love :-( My BL's are on the Pacer crit bike, and there to stay.

KM's are not on the QBP stock list just yet, I wonder how many they got in.

·
( )
755 Posts
i just got the "bean green" one today

It's a 2001 I bought used out of the classifieds here, it has eyelets just above the dropouts but only one on each side. I don't think i'll be using a rack though, but will probably moutn full fenders.
The first thing I did when I got it home was tried the Schwalbe Big Apples 2.0 on it. (there's another thread about this that I owe an update on, but I'm going to try to get photos first). But, it appears the Fatties Fit Pretty Well...The BA 2.0s look great on it, and I still think i have clearance for the fenders. So they do seem to run smaller than the claimed 2.0, which works great for this bike.
Also, it came with WTB dirt drops, which are totally foreign to me but i think i might like them.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Wait, what did Cloxxki say?

Did you say you thought the older frames had more clearance than the newer ones? If so then Steevo's most generous sharing of info may not apply to the 05 cross check. <gasp!>

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I remember seeing CC's with Nano's mounted up, someone posted pics of himself nose hopping a picknictable with that setup. Bean green frame. My red frame won't take grown tires.
Big Apple 2.0's, I think, are small enough to fit the '05 ones. Heck, that tire is so small it'll probably fit most trekking bikes, and even a couple of 26" bikes.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
KM Black SMLXL : 8:11:8:8
KM Brown SMLXL : 5:35:22:9

Maybe they're still unpacking containers there in Minneapolis, and doing QC.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
Cloxxki said:
I remember seeing CC's with Nano's mounted up, someone posted pics of himself nose hopping a picknictable with that setup. Bean green frame. My red frame won't take grown tires.
It was Messassin that posted them up. Those pics were cool. I think he opened up the stays with a piece of wood and some force though...

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Yeah, I remember his nick now.
Didn't remember about "helping" the rear end, though surely it would help. But I honestly did think that very early CC's cleared the WTB's back in the day. There were NO true 29" stock frames available, just custom, so many used the CC as the next best thing. The CC did at least clear the biggest 28" around back then. Maybe a CC connaissuer could clear that one up?

BTW, Black 20" Monkey are sold out again.
KM Black SMLXL : 7:8:0:5
KM Brown SMLXL : 3:29:17:7

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Too bad you missed out bigdummy!

KM Black SMLXL : 4:0:0:0
KM Brown SMLXL : 1:13:3:0

Surly may not sell these by the thousands, but when they have a hundred of them, they're gone in a week!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.