Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As any of you tried to put a 120mm fork on a Karate Monkey ?

I'm looking for an "enduro" feel (i don't know if this term is widespreed in the US, i mean a burly bike, with a slack geometry, like the Paradox or a wolfhound or canfield bike).

The low BB of the KM looks pretty fit for this, but i wonder if the front will get slack enought, especially with the sag.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
There is a difference between a frame designed for a 100-120mm fork and a frame designed for 80mm/rigid forks. Putting a long fork and a short bike results in a floppy front end, high bb, and generally poor handling. I haven't owned a KM, but my 1x1's felt terrible with longer forks. The Instigator I had was designed for longer forks and felt great with them ;)

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,355 Posts
I have a bud out here who did that to a Monkey and it worked out fine.

·
I live to bike
2,394 Posts
Guy who comes in our shop once in a while has a 130mm fork on his KM and appears to like it. But I have no first-hand experience as to how it rides. (I run mine rigid).

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks for your input
When i get back my reba (wich is a uturn version by the way), i will try this.

Enel : was yur friend able to compare is settings with anotehr bike like the paradox, or may be one of your bikes (i think you have a lenz, isn't it ?)

AL29er : i kind of agree with you, because i tried my reba in 120mm setting on my Jet9, and it didn't felt so good. But i think that the KM have a lower BB to start with.

The most confidence inspiring 29" i have tried thus far is the zaskar 9er ! With the 100mm fox fork, it has a much slacker geometry in reality thant what they write on the website. I found 69° instead of 72° ! With the same reach settings as the niner, it felt completely different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts