Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for you KM owners. I'm debating swaping parts from my XXIX that doesn't fit me right to a KM. Even though I normally ride a Large the Medium KM looks like a better fit. I'm concerned about having toe overlap issues going with a smaller frame though. I wear size 12.5 shoes, run 180 cranks and also run a Rampage on the front. All of these choices seem to reduce the distance between the toe of the shoe and the front tire. Do you think I'll be fine? Any input appreciated!

MC

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
You'll be fine. I wear size 45 (european, 10.5-11 US) riding shoes, run 180 cranks and there is at least 4 inches of clearance between the tip of my shoe and my WeirWolf up front.

You feet are a bit bigger and your frame will be smaller - but it won't be 4" worth of delta there.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
GreenLightGo said:
You'll be fine. I wear size 45 (european, 10.5-11 US) riding shoes, run 180 cranks and there is at least 4 inches of clearance between the tip of my shoe and my WeirWolf up front.

You feet are a bit bigger and your frame will be smaller - but it won't be 4" worth of delta there.
No freaking way. I rode a medium KM, and I had severe toe overlap issues w/ size 12.5 winter shoes and 175mm cranks.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Cloxxki said:
GLG, did you ever land that bike from a sweet drop? 4 inches, wow...
:skep: :skep: No mention of drops anywhere big man. Turn the wheel 45 degrees in either direction, level my pedal and there is 4 inches (100mm just for you) of clearance between my big toe and the center tread on my WeirWolf.

FWIW - I can ride my wife's Medium El Mariachi (though it looks funny) without any overlap.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
update

Well, your all wrong!

There is some very minor overlap, so minor I couldn't get my toe to hit when riding, only when trying very hard to make it hit. Maiden voyage is tomorrow so we'll see how it goes on trail.

MC

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
MellowCat said:
Well, your all wrong!

There is some very minor overlap, so minor I couldn't get my toe to hit when riding, only when trying very hard to make it hit. Maiden voyage is tomorrow so we'll see how it goes on trail.

MC
I wasn't wrong, you just didn't listen to me :) Good luck, and I hope it isn't a real issue riding.

Dave

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, you said "severe", and its just a light graze. I'll give you 5 points towards a correct score out 10 possible! :) You did warn me though, and I appreciate that! The Monkey rides nicer than my Raleigh XXIX for sure, lighter too.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Size 12.5's, with 180 cranks, so I guess thats big, hence why I asked this question in the first place! Thanks, MC

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone riding a 16'' Ogre/Karate Monkey with 44 size shoes and severe overlap?
I've tried out the 18'' ogre and it's on the big side so thinking of going with the 16. But I'm afraid of having unacceptable overlap using 28x2.00 tires and 170 cranks.

I have some minor overlap on my 52 CC but it's not an issue.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
Anyone riding a 16'' Ogre/Karate Monkey with 44 size shoes and severe overlap?
I've tried out the 18'' ogre and it's on the big side so thinking of going with the 16. But I'm afraid of having unacceptable overlap using 28x2.00 tires and 170 cranks.

I have some minor overlap on my 52 CC but it's not an issue.
I had slightly annoying (but not severe or dangerous) toe rub on my small KM with size 44 shoes and 180mm cranks. It only ever occurred once or twice on the trail though. My guess is 170s should be close but fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.