Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use a Karate Monkey as a SS roadbike?
Maybe someone has pictures of a KM with dropbars and skinny tires?
What I need is a SS frame you can use with 700C wheels, a 135 rear hub and V-brakes.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
a few options...

pimpy said:
What I need is a SS frame you can use with 700C wheels, a 135 rear hub and V-brakes.
Thanks!
Check out the soul cycles sale on the monk www.ridesoul.com, frame and fork, $130

Also, Vandessel has some bvikes with 135 rear spacing and v-brake options as well.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am not sure about the V brakes. I know if you have disk you could run 29,26,24,700...... you name it

I know someone who just decked out his KM with 700 wheels and touring tires. He is going to ride it from Indiana to San Diego with two bob trailers and completely loaded down.
He does have some gears on it, but I don't blame him.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,567 Posts
pimpy said:
Thanks!
The cross check meets that criteria and is another option if you are looking for something more road bike like.

baker

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
KM road bike? I've got mine set up as a fixed gear and ride with the University club, mostly road rides. It descends about as delicately as a sledge hammer, but it's still alot of fun. Considering I can beat just about everyone I've ridden with up the local climbs the bike won't hold you back(at least not too much). I'd go with cyclocross rims as they are wide enough to fit mtn bike tires on them. V-brakes are yes and drop bars work as well.

The Ito

·
Registered
225 Posts
dompedro3 said:
Check out the soul cycles sale on the monk www.ridesoul.com, frame and fork, $130

Also, Vandessel has some bvikes with 135 rear spacing and v-brake options as well.
Just pulled the trigger on a green 58cm Monk. That's a steal! I've been holding out for a IRO Rob Roy but the Monk is $150 cheaper and since it's going to be a college commuter it'll get beat all to heck anyhow. And being left out locked in bike racks Aluminum might be better than steel for holding up to the elements. Thanks for the heads up! Pics will be up as soon as it comes in. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
long top tube

pimpy said:
Thanks!
i think the km top tubes are a bit long for drop bar use. you might want to check the top tube lenth of a road bike that fits to the corresponding km tt. you could compensate with a shorter stem if your within two or tree cm.

my $.02

·
Registered
6 Posts
pimpy said:
Thanks!
i just fitted some nimbus 700x32 (i plan to go skinnier) on my monkey ss with drop bars (nitto track bars) and v-brakes (avid) ... love at first ride.

·
Registered
167 Posts
joschz said:
i just fitted some nimbus 700x32 (i plan to go skinnier) on my monkey ss with drop bars (nitto track bars) and v-brakes (avid) ... love at first ride.
What brake levers are you using on the track bars? I want to get a pair(looking at a pair of scott drop bars actually), but am not sure if my I can use v's.

Also, did you put a taller stem on the bike to deal with the drops?

The Ito

·
Registered
6 Posts
ito said:
What brake levers are you using on the track bars? I want to get a pair(looking at a pair of scott drop bars actually), but am not sure if my I can use v's.

Also, did you put a taller stem on the bike to deal with the drops?

The Ito
it's fixed so no brakes ... but if i run a freewheel ill try the shimano road brakes (R400) with my avid vbrakes ...
i didn't change the stem, its a thomson 120mm ... and it feels ok (i guess the monkey is quite tall at the front anyway) ...
it's all still a bit of an experiment (thats what i love about the monkey) ... but ill post some pics soon (if it works)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.