Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a friend on his first "real" bike, and for his riding style I think a 29er would suit him best.

At first glance, I'm thinking Karate Monkey with a Deore triple ring setup. Any thoughts why or why not? Money IS a factor. And if I can avoid giving any to GF, I will...

Be interested to hear any opinions on this scenario, thanks!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nah...

ncj01 said:
Why?

Don't want the Evil Gary (Mr 29er) to profit from getting the masses down?
just really not a fan of their bikes. Besides, if I can go indy, I always try...

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Deore and a Monkey will go well together. Like Peanut butter and Saltines! -- mmm crackers and pb......

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
C88 said:
just really not a fan of their bikes. Besides, if I can go indy, I always try...
I would buy the Xcal, and a KM frame. Move all the parts over, sell the xcal frame. Will be cheaper than building the KM from scratch, and better parts than straight deore.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
ncj01 said:
I would buy the Xcal, and a KM frame. Move all the parts over, sell the xcal frame. Will be cheaper than building the KM from scratch, and better parts than straight deore.
I would disagree. I'm sure QBP has a Deore build kit available for the Monkey. Less hassle for your and less money involved.

·
Hike it or Bike it!
287 Posts
bigwheelboy_490 said:
I would disagree. I'm sure QBP has a Deore build kit available for the Monkey. Less hassle for your and less money involved.
Depends on whether or not you were factoring in the REBA fork with that XCal purchase, part swap to the KM frame or not. There's about $415 - $450 worth of parts alone in the fork itself. Add in the Avid disc brakes for another $120 - $140. SRAM X.7 comes standard on the XCal, so that's another $110 for derailleur/shifters plus $25 for the front Deore derailleur. Bonty tires are $80 for the pair. Pair of tubes will run you $12 - 15. Superstock disc wheelset is about $200 - $220.

So we are at about $950 - $1000 without handlebar, grips, levers, stem, headset, BB, Crankset, cables, housing, seatpost, saddle. Toss in another $200+ for that and that starts to make the MSRP for the XCal at $1269 seem like a dang good suggestion for purchase and part swapping over to the Monk. Sell the XCal frame for whatever ($200 - $350) and presto.

More than one way to skin a cat - but the Arkansas Kid had a decent suggestion.

S

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Yeah do the frame swap. Make a bro happy to get a lightweight Fisher frame (actually quite good), someone else with a fork, and your friend with a sub-grand rigid KM with proper parts. Can't find a KM? well, in the worst case, friend rides a sweet Fisher hardtail till you can get a KM.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I built my KM for under 1000 and I did using MTBR classifieds! there is good stuff on there if money is an option and your friend doesn't mind used stuff. I have since then went totally singlespeed and even sold off some of my parts for a little extra cash. Good Luck, Jus

1 - 9 of 9 Posts