Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scoop. I would like to purchase a nice rigid singlespeed for a reasonable price and I seem to have found one in the form a KM. The problem is that I would be buying without trying because it is halfway accross the country and I do not know anyone who owns one. I am currently riding an Air 9 for my geared bike and it is the only 29er I have ever ridden. I like the Niner's handling but wouldn't mind a more upright position for my singlespeed. Any opinions would be appreciated before I pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
if the price is right snag it up... they hold their resale pretty freaking well...

i love mine... and it loves singletrack... nice quick handling (especially in rigid format) assuming the numbers look like it'll fit you snag it up... best part is if you don't dig the SS you have other options.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
RMcjd said:
Here's the scoop. I would like to purchase a nice rigid singlespeed for a reasonable price and I seem to have found one in the form a KM. The problem is that I would be buying without trying because it is halfway accross the country and I do not know anyone who owns one. I am currently riding an Air 9 for my geared bike and it is the only 29er I have ever ridden. I like the Niner's handling but wouldn't mind a more upright position for my singlespeed. Any opinions would be appreciated before I pull the trigger.
I didn't like mine. Heavy, rough riding, low BB, tons of toe overlap. They do maintain their resale value pretty well though. How big of a stem are you running on your Air9? Perhaps you could get a used Sir 9 and user a shorter stem?

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
RMcjd said:
The Geometry on Surly's site (last I looked) weren't terribly accurate. I had an XL and it had a 24.2" Seat tube and the site listed it as 22" (C to C). Soooo I guess I am trying to say just make sure the size is right. Where do you live? Maybe another board member is close to you and you could try it. That all being said, KM is a sick bike.

Other's to look at are the On One Inbred (complete bikes are $800+/- on ebay NEW) the Soma Juice and any of the many itterations of the Redline Monocog.

·
Jacob 34:19
513 Posts
Get yourself a monkey!

I have an Air9, Sir9, and a KM. The KM is not as light as the Air and not as comfy as the Sir but dang is it a blast to ride. You will not be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
they measure a tad differently then most companies...
http://www.surlybikes.com/spew17.html

I'll agree they are a bit porky... but so am I... there aren't many "my KM broke" stories out there... like there are of many other frames out there.

bit rough... my 29er and even recent bike riding time isn't what many others is... but compared to my redline i'd say ya it does feel a bit more harsh... could have to do with the seat i'm using... which i'll be swapping out soon to check on... which is one reason i plan to make the RL a SS (figure the ride smoothness matters less when you are standing all the time then with a sit and spin bike)

Mighty what size and how big of feet you got?... i rarely get pedal strikes... although i cold use a tad more bb height... i get a lot more strkes on the redline (same bb height but longer wheel base)... and i atribute that to the shorter wheel base on the KM.

i love my KM... it just carves... i hope to get the RL a similar feel (stock for stock it's sluggish by comparison) with the help of a g2 high offset fork... we'll see what happens

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Running a 90mm stem on a size M Air 9. The KM is a size S with a 100 mm stem. I'm 5'8 with a size 43 shoe. The cranks are 175 on the KM so I hope that toe overlap will not be an issue. As far as comfort goes, this bike will replace the rigid Bianchi PUSS that I just sold. For an aluminum frame, it was not bone jarring, but it definitely was not smooth sailing either. I can't imagine that the KM will ride any rougher. BTW the KM has a WB rocksolid carbon fork and my Bianchi had a pace carbon fork, if that makes any difference. Living in rural Manitoba, Canada, and being short do not allow for alot of test riding. The 29er movement has not taken hold here and shops don't tend to stock them. Having said that, I bought my Niner on a leap of faith and it worked out quite well. I am just looking for all the highs and lows of the KM and you all have been very informative so far. Thanks! thumbsup:

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Surly is Surly. Be well aware of what that is, and then take it or leave it.
High standover, low BB, little give, one of the heaviest, etc. I totally like mine, but I easily have the 2-3" extra inseam to clear that top tube. Our trails allow for a low BB, even with 180mm cranks. 185mm and Mallet C were hitting roots. Now it's a commuter, I liked my Monocog frame better. Bit heavier, but higher BB, stiffer still, more compliant ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I rode and raced an Air9 last season and had a chance to throw a leg over my brother's medium KM this past weekend as a comparison. Very impressive ride. That bike loves to go sideways at speed; it really does carve nicely, and the upright position, while similar to the Air9, actually feels more intuitive at times. I realize preference and setup play an important role here, but to me that bike is just plain fun; the frame soaks up bumps very well, much better than I thought it would. The fork seems a bit harsh at times, even compared to other fully rigid bikes I've ridden. Still, I liked it so much I'm looking to build one of my own. I don't think you'll regret it if you pull the trigger on this one-

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
ncj01 said:
KM is a time honored winner and is above reproach for what it is.

You can't go wrong.
Yep. You can possibly go more 'right'...IF you know just what you want and can ride a few bikes to find out how they feel. But, it is hard to go wrong with the KM.

I like the low BB even with 180s cuz of the type of riding we do. I have never had toe overlap issues.

My next frame will be a dedicated SS frame, a bit lighter, a bit smoother, EBB bb shell, longer TT, and such.

But the KM was and is still a fun bike to ride and very versatile to own.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Got to say I haven't got a load of time on mine of road, but I will say that I like how it rides. I didn't quite like the geo on it running matching tyres - steering was too quick - so I now run a nano rear and WW LT upfront and it's definitely slackened things out a bit and given more cush upfront. There's definitely something about them, not 100% exactly what, but they're just plain fun no matter what you use it for - mine gets used mainly for road duties running the same Nano/WW LT combo and the occassionale trail usage.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
another fan...though I run a 490mm Niner rigid fork - I actually moved from a Redline Monocog Flight to the KM because it had a lot of appeal for me (among other reasons).

As mtroy said - it is hard to go wrong with the KM.

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
ncj01 said:
KM is a time honored winner and is above reproach for what it is.

You can't go wrong.
Truly. The KM is an original, and Surly got it right the first time. If you have to buy before you ride, the KM is pretty low risk choice given the amount of opinions already floating around the internets. I bought a used frame in the fall and I love the ride.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else has said: Handling, versatility and (for me) fit are about as good as it gets. Downsides are a rough ride for lighter riders, heavy weight (though not outrageous for steel), low BB with lots of pedal/chainring hits, and slightly fussy rear dropout situation if you don't know the workarounds.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
"The KM is a size S with a 100 mm stem. I'm 5'8 with a size 43 shoe. The cranks are 175 on the KM so I hope that toe overlap will not be an issue."

I measure up the same as you, and had a size S KM with a 100mm stem. I ran it rigid with a Mary bar (right side up and inverted), and eventually settled on the inverted Mary's because I preferred the 'low and ready' position. No problems with toe overlap at all.

You can never go wrong with a Karate Monkey!

·
Registered
340 Posts
re bottom bracket height- this is a personal thing... when I had my waltworks made, I said I wanted a relatively low bb height... we ended up with 70mm bb drop. KM is 68mm. I'd say the bb height on KM is a plus... low bb = lower standover and more stable geometry...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
ouch! don't remind me. I kinda regret selling mine. At least it's in a riding buddy's loving care. I'll try to negotiate visitation rights hehe

ozlongboarder said:
I have had mine for 4.5 years now. SS full rigid with a turdbuster seat post to take the edge off. I love it and will never sell it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.