Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
WNC Native
Joined
·
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about trying a winter time fat front setup for my upcoming 29er build. I already have a KM fork. My question is - If I cut the brake post tabs off, will a Endomorph on a 40mm 26" rim fit?

Next will the 40mm rim be too much of a compromise and be not worth going trying?

This will be used mostly on wet, soft rooty trails. It will see bare minimum snow time and be under a 215lb rider.

Thanks in advance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,443 Posts
Your tyre will be about 90mm wide.

It's worth doing, but there's one snag - you'll realise that full fat is better than anything else, and all your money has been wasted :)
 

·
WNC Native
Joined
·
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As in full fat bike or full width fat rim?

This upcoming custom steel 29er bike isn't going anywhere for a long time.
 

·
hispanic mechanic
Joined
·
2,683 Posts
I know you already have the fork, but it might make sense to try a full-on fat front set up. Here's what I'll be doing, as soon as I can find a fork for sale somewhere:
:: Salsa Enabler fork, 'cause it'll play nice with my Pugs, too.
:: Surly New Disc hub. Already have it.
:: Surly Large Marge non-offset. Already have it.
:: Surly Larry. Much better steering than the Endo.
:: Surly New Disc with a Velocity P-35 for the rear.
More expensive for an experiment? Yeah, but more versatile if I don't like half-fat. Plus, I can move the P-35 wheel to the front for semi-fat 29" rock crawling!

Los
 

·
hispanic mechanic
Joined
·
2,683 Posts
Although, if I were buying a new rim, I'd go with a 47mm trials rim for your (and my) conditions, i.e. minimal opportunity to play in snow.

Los
 

·
is buachail foighneach me
Joined
·
6,589 Posts
I don't believe it will. I had to cut the brake posts off to get a 70mm rim to fit between them on my KM fork. If you're using it on wet, soft, rooty trails, go for a wide downhill tire on a 50mm+ rim. The Michelin 32 A/T 2.8" works great above freezing and is about the same weight as an endo. It measures out to about 3" on a 70mm wide rim, is knobby as hell, and usually about half the price of an Endo. Just don't try to ride it when it's below 20 degrees out.
 

·
WNC Native
Joined
·
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sslos said:
Although, if I were buying a new rim, I'd go with a 47mm trials rim for your (and my) conditions, i.e. minimal opportunity to play in snow.

Los
As in 47mm 26 trials rim , or the KH 47mm 29er Trials rim?

This will more than likely see minimal time, and I've already depleted my budget on this upcoming build. That's why I'm trying to do it on the budget end.

If it isn't worth doing on a smaller rim, then I'll sell the KM fork and later on pick up the parts.

As far as tires, I found a great deal on a barely used Endo and already have it on the way.
 

·
WNC Native
Joined
·
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any one else have any input?
 

·
hispanic mechanic
Joined
·
2,683 Posts
nitrousjunky said:
As in 47mm 26 trials rim , or the KH 47mm 29er Trials rim?

This will more than likely see minimal time, and I've already depleted my budget on this upcoming build. That's why I'm trying to do it on the budget end.

If it isn't worth doing on a smaller rim, then I'll sell the KM fork and later on pick up the parts.

As far as tires, I found a great deal on a barely used Endo and already have it on the way.
I meant a 26" trials rim. I'll be using a Large Marge for now, since I have it, but think that would definitely not fit a KM fork. I totally understand the budgetary issues. Stupid money, getting in the way of bike stuff...
I don't think the Endo will fit, even on the 40mm rim, although it will help round the tire out some.
I just saw an ad for an Enabler for $100 in the classifieds. Maybe throw down a bit more than you Though, but get a more appropriate fork. Besides, you could sell the KM fork for some of that, and if it doesn't work out, get most of your money back.

Los
 

·
WNC Native
Joined
·
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I saw that ad, I have to finish collecting the parts for my main build first though. If that thing doesn't sell too quick, then I may go that way.

However for the time being I'm riding a temporary SS 29er (07 GF Rig). So I also need to be able to run a 29er front wheel until my custom build is finished. After that I could consider a 135mm spacing fork.
 

·
hispanic mechanic
Joined
·
2,683 Posts
nitrousjunky said:
Yeah I saw that ad, I have to finish collecting the parts for my main build first though. If that thing doesn't sell too quick, then I may go that way.

However for the time being I'm riding a temporary SS 29er (07 GF Rig). So I also need to be able to run a 29er front wheel until my custom build is finished. After that I could consider a 135mm spacing fork.
Do you have a spare ss rear wheel? I plan on using the Enabler with a fat front, but will use the rear that I'm setting up to match as a semi-fat front with that fork. Am I making any sense? I tried sleeping without the pain meeds for the first time last night.
I know, this is spiralling out of financial control quickly. Left to my own devices, I'd rationalize several wheel/fork combos!

Los
 

·
WNC Native
Joined
·
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I'll be running a new matching I9/Flow wheelset when in 29er mode on the build. So I'll probably still be running the I9/Flow rear when in Fat front mode (Unless I pick up a 35mm rear rimmed wheel to run while in Fatter mode)

I'm thinking multiple setups as well, however it will be ran probably 90-95 percent of the time with a Fox fork and the I9/Flows.

Oh I completely understand where your coming from on the collarbone issue. Check out what I did in August last year- http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=640313
 

·
I'm attracted to Gravity!
Joined
·
598 Posts
for another tire width reference, I have an Endo on a rhynolite rim (29mm) that fits in my Vassago ODIS fork. The fork clearance is 3.55" and the tire on this skinny rim comes out to 3.50" so it fits. I've done a couple rides on it and the tire hasn't fallen off on me yet.... a wider rim would be much better for this tire.
If you get the Enabler then go full fat sometime, it would all switch over fine.
 

·
WNC Native
Joined
·
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
campredcloudbikes said:
for another tire width reference, I have an Endo on a rhynolite rim (29mm) that fits in my Vassago ODIS fork. The fork clearance is 3.55" and the tire on this skinny rim comes out to 3.50" so it fits. I've done a couple rides on it and the tire hasn't fallen off on me yet.... a wider rim would be much better for this tire.
If you get the Enabler then go full fat sometime, it would all switch over fine.
Cool thanks for the info. Any chance you could give me a measurement from the front axle to the widest section of the tire?
 

·
WNC Native
Joined
·
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the tire yesterday and checked the fork. The max clearance on the KM fork is 3.5 checking with calipers. Also placed the tire in the fork and it was rubbing as is not even on a rim, so according to that and your measurements on a Rhynolite, the Endo isn't going to fit on a 40mm rim.

Guess I need to reevaluate if I want to go Fat front or Semi Fat 29er front for the secondary rigid setup.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top