Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one riding a Karate Monkey fixed? if so, what gearing are you using on road? what gearing off road? Does the KM frame fit 130mm and 135mm hubs in the rear dropouts?

·
Registered
981 Posts
KM is 135 in the rear. You mount a 130 and tighten since it's steel, but some don't like doing that.

You can get a cog made that mounts to the 6 bolt disc rotor mount and have an instant fixed gear hub out of any disc hub. You can then make a flip flop hub if you keep a freewheel on the other side.

I am in the process of building my KM. I am going to run a 42x16 setup for the city. I don't plan on running it fixed in the dirt though.

·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice!

threesixeight said:
Thanks. I didn't get a chance to follow your link but will take some time to read it. I am hoping to get a Karate Monkey built up fixed this winter. Starting on the road but definitely giving the off road thing a go.
ThreeSixEight -
I have a fixed CrossCheck that I've been riding off road for a bit over a year now and I'm dreaming of a KM fixie too. I forked over the $$$ earlier this fall for a Surly fixed/free hub built into a Salsa Delgado rim and ran the standard Surly fixed cog and lock ring. It's a killer set up... much better than closing the rear triangle down with a 120mm track hub IMHO. I'm getting ready to order a medium brown KM next week; hopefully something will be available! I'll send over some shots once it's built. Fixed off-road is a blast!
l-dub

·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brown

Cool. I have been wanting a Brown Monkey for a while now. I am leaning towards a fixie build. It is good to know that you like your CrossCheck fixed. That too would be a great frameset to aquire. I watched one on ebay in my size earlier this year go for a really low price and I wasn't home at the time to bid on it.
l-dub1 said:
ThreeSixEight -
I have a fixed CrossCheck that I've been riding off road for a bit over a year now and I'm dreaming of a KM fixie too. I forked over the $$$ earlier this fall for a Surly fixed/free hub built into a Salsa Delgado rim and ran the standard Surly fixed cog and lock ring. It's a killer set up... much better than closing the rear triangle down with a 120mm track hub IMHO. I'm getting ready to order a medium brown KM next week; hopefully something will be available! I'll send over some shots once it's built. Fixed off-road is a blast!
l-dub

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wheel stuff...

If you don't run disk brakes the fixed/free hub is really cool. At first I would ride fixed over to the trail head, then reverse the wheel to the FW side for the dirt portion of the ride, and convert back to fixed on the way home. Now I just ride fixed all the time... but I'll keep the FW on for the longer races this summer in case the downhills get too steep. :D
I've seen a few fixed KM's on the 29'er board and they're really nice looking; can't wait to get one built up.

·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
other KM's

Sounds like a great way to get a ride in. Fixed to the trail head and then SS on the trail until you decided to go fixed all of the time. I am going to start a thread asking for pics of fixed KM's and all surly's.
l-dub1 said:
If you don't run disk brakes the fixed/free hub is really cool. At first I would ride fixed over to the trail head, then reverse the wheel to the FW side for the dirt portion of the ride, and convert back to fixed on the way home. Now I just ride fixed all the time... but I'll keep the FW on for the longer races this summer in case the downhills get too steep. :D
I've seen a few fixed KM's on the 29'er board and they're really nice looking; can't wait to get one built up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm running a 36/15 fixed on Schwable Big Apples... thats about 67" which is good for around here. A few big, steep hills but mostly flat. 36/16 would give you a magic 63". Also using unwrapped Midge bars which are gonna be wrapped up sharpish as they're killing my hands.

I've only had 2 rides so far (finished it Christmas Eve), one in the snow this morning which is the most fun I've had in ages :D

just so you know;
62cm brown KM, 170mm Stronglight cranks, 36t Surly, 15t EAI steel, DuraAce lockring, Shimano UN53 bb, Surly Tuggnut, Surly New Hubs 32h, Salsa Delgado Rims, Schwable Big Apples, Avid Single 5 v's, Dia-Compe 287v levers, Profile Design Boa stem, FSA Pig headset, On-One Midge Bars and Twelfty Seatpost, Brooks b17 Champion Special... think thats it.

·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Karate Monkey

Your build sounds like what I am looking to do with a Karate Monkey. So you were riding fixed in the snow. That had to be a blast.
zaby said:
I'm running a 36/15 fixed on Schwable Big Apples... thats about 67" which is good for around here. A few big, steep hills but mostly flat. 36/16 would give you a magic 63". Also using unwrapped Midge bars which are gonna be wrapped up sharpish as they're killing my hands.

I've only had 2 rides so far (finished it Christmas Eve), one in the snow this morning which is the most fun I've had in ages :D

just so you know;
62cm brown KM, 170mm Stronglight cranks, 36t Surly, 15t EAI steel, DuraAce lockring, Shimano UN53 bb, Surly Tuggnut, Surly New Hubs 32h, Salsa Delgado Rims, Schwable Big Apples, Avid Single 5 v's, Dia-Compe 287v levers, Profile Design Boa stem, FSA Pig headset, On-One Midge Bars and Twelfty Seatpost, Brooks b17 Champion Special... think thats it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeh it was. Getting sideways on a fix in the snow is a laugh and a half.

I'm changing the Midge's for some Nitto Moustaches soon, I'm just not finding them comfortable on my setup. Gonna save them for my next bike though :)

threesixeight said:
Your build sounds like what I am looking to do with a Karate Monkey. So you were riding fixed in the snow. That had to be a blast.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i ride a cross check fixed also. 40X18 on road and 40X20 on trail in winter, although i plan on switching up to 16 and 19 cogs in racing season. flip-flop hub, ride to trailhead with 18, switch to 20 for trails, then 18 back home. contemplating racing the cross in endurance races this year. may get a 29er. don't know yet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
decisions - decisions...

jrwmojo said:
i ride a cross check fixed also. 40X18 on road and 40X20 on trail in winter, although i plan on switching up to 16 and 19 cogs in racing season. flip-flop hub, ride to trailhead with 18, switch to 20 for trails, then 18 back home. contemplating racing the cross in endurance races this year. may get a 29er. don't know yet.
I've been contemplating getting a 29'er too over the past month or so. Even tried to get a brown KM last week... but they're out of stock in my size right now. I wish that I had grabbed one of the 'camp stove green' ones last year; I love that color! If the KM materializes I'll be racing that fixed off-road at a few longer races, otherwise I'll be on the XC below. The bike has Ritchey Trail Max tires (700x35) installed right now for on/off-road use as the trails are very muddy here in the Mid-Atlantic this winter. For the races I'll slap on my 44c Mutano's which feels pretty much like a 1.75 - 1.9 to me.
Anyone else out there racing fixed Surly's? :D

Attachments

·
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CrossCheck

The CrossCheck is so versatile. I have researched alot of cross frames and keep coming back to this one. The tire clearance is the key. It will accept such a large tire in terms of cross tires that it is almost like riding a 29er. I will probably get the KM though since I want a true 29er. Then I will add a crosscheck as time and money allow.

l-dub1 said:
I've been contemplating getting a 29'er too over the past month or so. Even tried to get a brown KM last week... but they're out of stock in my size right now. I wish that I had grabbed one of the 'camp stove green' ones last year; I love that color! If the KM materializes I'll be racing that fixed off-road at a few longer races, otherwise I'll be on the XC below. The bike has Ritchey Trail Max tires (700x35) installed right now for on/off-road use as the trails are very muddy here in the Mid-Atlantic this winter. For the races I'll slap on my 44c Mutano's which feels pretty much like a 1.75 - 1.9 to me.
Anyone else out there racing fixed Surly's? :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Inverse!

threesixeight said:
The CrossCheck is so versatile. I have researched alot of cross frames and keep coming back to this one. The tire clearance is the key. It will accept such a large tire in terms of cross tires that it is almost like riding a 29er. I will probably get the KM though since I want a true 29er. Then I will add a crosscheck as time and money allow.
I'm doing the opposite right now: coming from an XC to a KM. The one thing to keep in mind is that you can share the wheels and some parts between the bikes if needed. I'm going to start off riding my XC wheels on the KM until I get some extra $ for a new set. Keep us posted as to what you get.

l-dub

1 - 15 of 15 Posts