Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compared to other frames and with all other things being close to equal (which they never are) do all of you Monkey riders think that the short chainstays really help traction when climbing out of the saddle in loose conditions?

Do you think that they affect the ride quality signifcantly in terms of 1) agility and 2)smoothness?

Thanks!

·
NJ_TX_KY Nomad
51 Posts
I'm Definitely Convinced

I am a recent convert to the 29er scene (just recently built up a KM) and can already tell I'm not looking back. I am visiting family in KY for the holidays and it has been raining for a couple of weeks and the trails here are quite muddy and the terrain quite hilly, rooty and have alot of leaves all over them. These conditions obviously make for very slick climbing. I have to say that I have been utterly AMAZED at my ability to make it up some of these hills here that I have not been able to make it up in similar conditions on several of my other 26" bikes. If other 29ers climb even close to this KM I will have several high end 26" bikes for sale in the near future.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Endoverend! said:
Compared to other frames and with all other things being close to equal (which they never are) do all of you Monkey riders think that the short chainstays really help traction when climbing out of the saddle in loose conditions?

Do you think that they affect the ride quality signifcantly in terms of 1) agility and 2)smoothness?

Thanks!
I enjoy my KMs smoothness over the rough stuff, not nearly a FS 26er though. Its agility is good, but I think some stem length tweaking can boost that to relatively great.
As for the climbing, my legs always give out before the monkey starts slipping or becomes clumsy. Cranking over obstacles as I go uphill is much easier with this green machine. Other 29ers may give exactly the same result though.

·
Registered
340 Posts
PISS Off #31 said:
I am a recent convert to the 29er scene (just recently built up a KM) and can already tell I'm not looking back. I am visiting family in KY for the holidays and it has been raining for a couple of weeks and the trails here are quite muddy and the terrain quite hilly, rooty and have alot of leaves all over them. These conditions obviously make for very slick climbing. I have to say that I have been utterly AMAZED at my ability to make it up some of these hills here that I have not been able to make it up in similar conditions on several of my other 26" bikes. If other 29ers climb even close to this KM I will have several high end 26" bikes for sale in the near future.
Glad your enjoying the ride!

Gary

·
Feet back and spread 'em!
624 Posts
good question

I have a GF rig. I went to the fisher website and the surly site and found no chainstay dimensions. So I measured mine (XL, but that shouldn't matter for chainstay length).
It's 17.5" (444.5mm) with the eccentric a little fwd of BDC. And I have had some loss of traction on gravel road climbs and wet conditions. Makes me wonder if I'd be better off with the eccentric rotated towards the back. What's the measurement on your Monkey?

·
Registered
123 Posts
bikecop said:
I have a GF rig. I went to the fisher website and the surly site and found no chainstay dimensions. So I measured mine (XL, but that shouldn't matter for chainstay length).
It's 17.5" (444.5mm) with the eccentric a little fwd of BDC. And I have had some loss of traction on gravel road climbs and wet conditions. Makes me wonder if I'd be better off with the eccentric rotated towards the back. What's the measurement on your Monkey?
The stays on the KM measure 17.0" and it climbs like a goat.

·
Registered
750 Posts
bikecop said:
The wheelbase of the Rig wouldn't change with the EBB in the back, the cranks would be further back, and the chainline would get smaller, but isn't it a fixed dropout?
Compared the the horizontal dropuots on the KM?
-dan

·
College
1,198 Posts
AOF said:
The wheelbase of the Rig wouldn't change with the EBB in the back, the cranks would be further back, and the chainline would get smaller, but isn't it a fixed dropout?
Compared the the horizontal dropuots on the KM?
-dan
doing this would still change the chainstay length.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
in magazine tests the katate monkey has been called...

no_skillz said:
I enjoy my KMs smoothness over the rough stuff, not nearly a FS 26er though. Its agility is good, but I think some stem length tweaking can boost that to relatively great.
As for the climbing, my legs always give out before the monkey starts slipping or becomes clumsy. Cranking over obstacles as I go uphill is much easier with this green machine. Other 29ers may give exactly the same result though.
harsh, even harsher than the aluminum bikes on test. ive never heard that said on this forum but its why i choose to go another route.

·
NJ_TX_KY Nomad
51 Posts
Enjoy is an understatement

Gary,

The KM is one of those few things in life that exceeds expectations. Thanks for the recommendation. Definitely let's hook up for a ride when I get back. I need to tweak the gearing a little bit but that's minor.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
edouble said:
harsh, even harsher than the aluminum bikes on test. ive never heard that said on this forum but its why i choose to go another route.
hahaha! Probably because they rode it with the rigid fork!

You've never heard it here because most KM owners don't agree. I don't care what you choose to ride, but I was just a bit alarmed that you made a decision (at least partly - I bet there's more to it than you mentioned above) on one mag review. Was it Mt Bike Action?

I think the KM climbs and rides really well for the money. Much more comfortable than any Alu bike I've ridden (only decent Alu frames I rode were a Zaskar and a Cracknfail - others were cheapies).

happy new year! :cool:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
they did ride it...

TheSingleGuy said:
hahaha! Probably because they rode it with the rigid fork!

You've never heard it here because most KM owners don't agree. I don't care what you choose to ride, but I was just a bit alarmed that you made a decision (at least partly - I bet there's more to it than you mentioned above) on one mag review. Was it Mt Bike Action?

I think the KM climbs and rides really well for the money. Much more comfortable than any Alu bike I've ridden (only decent Alu frames I rode were a Zaskar and a Cracknfail - others were cheapies).

happy new year! :cool:
with the rigid fork, which they praised for its smoothness. it was the rear end they had problems with. the mag in question is WHATmountainbike, a UK mag and my personal favorite. their recommendations have been dead on in my experience. of course, someone else could feel the exact opposite way. i ended up getting a soma juice, which i finished building up today. it came out really nice, hope to post pics soon.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
edouble said:
with the rigid fork, which they praised for its smoothness. it was the rear end they had problems with. the mag in question is WHATmountainbike, a UK mag and my personal favorite. their recommendations have been dead on in my experience. of course, someone else could feel the exact opposite way. i ended up getting a soma juice, which i finished building up today. it came out really nice, hope to post pics soon.
I know that mag, and I respect them too. Interesting, though, that their experience is EXACTLY opposite to that of most others. I'll see if I can track down that review online, I'd like to read it. I love the ride of my KM, but I've only had it for two months, and haven't ridden a good steel frame since about '99, so I can't really compare it to, say, a Walt. I do agree with them, though (and disagree with most here) about the fork - I'm happy with it. Again, no experience with anything better, but ignorance is bliss!

Let us know aout your SF Juice - they look pretty sharp too!

One little anecdote from yesterday - my riding buddy and I traded bikes for a ride, so he could try the big wheels. He rode my SS KM, and I rode his superlite bonerattler 26 SS (with a Skareb squishy fork).

His bike is probably 5 pounds (at least) lighter than my KM. Recently I've been riding a ton more than him, so am way fitter (last year was the reverse). I could barely hold him on the climbs, and he was grinning from ear to ear the whole way. He LOVED the smooth steel ride too! Then on the way down he totally schooled me. First time on the bike, first time on a rigid fork.

I don't know who was more surprised - him or me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.