Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just fitted a Reba sl onto my medium Monkey and as expected the adjuster hits the downtube. I've done a search and the answer seems to be to fit a different headset. It currently has a Hope fitted.

So my quesion is, will the Cane Creak S-3+5mm cure this ploblem, as it looks as if it will need more than 5mm? Also can anyone recomend any other headsets which will cure the problem?

·
Bike Nutt
39 Posts
Supposedly there is a thicker lower crown race you can get for the Chris King HS.

I had the same issue on my medium KM. Although I didn't find out until after riding it a few times. Now the KM is back to rigid and a Niner sports the Reba.

·
used to be uno-speedo....
1,279 Posts
This was posted by Chris on the Speedgoat blog.

TECH QUESTION OF THE DAY
Q: I have read on the MTBR forum that you offer a adjuster knob that sits flush with the top of the fork to help address the clearance issue on 29er's. Is this the case?

A: We actually offer several things to help 29er owners address that tall Reba adjustment knob. First, we've convinced RockShox to keep manufacturing their internal gate damper, which replaces that perky gold knurled knob with a lower profile cap. One of you turned us on to the fact that they made this for a less expensive 26" wheel fork model (yo Telford), but it was still a struggle to get these (let's just say it involved Taiwan). They'll lower your Reba about 3mm, and you can find them here:

Internal Gate Damper

You may want to lose the Poploc remote while you're at it, as it sticks up slightly higher than the manual knob, too. Which damper assembly you buy dictates whether you can use a remote or a manual knob, so you have to plan that out before buying the damper.

Then there's also the "slacker" route--jack the front end up with a Cane Creek +5 headset that will add 5mm of lower stack to your headset cup, and help clearance.

Cane Creek +5 Headset

We also offer the cup separately. Also heard that Ventana is offering a similar mod, so that may be the ticket for some of you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.